DCX2496 EQ functions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Since the Graphic User interface displays the result, it will teach you better than anyone.

simply insert a notch filter, vary the Q and observe.
What you should see is the filter becoming more specific as the Q increases.

feel free to contact me by email with questions.

Doug

Exactly the thread I wanted to start! I am almost sure that therefore my post is not a threadjacking...

I built a dipole woofer and have future plans to implement a true subwoofer in an infinite baffle. The exact frequencies and slope I don't know yet, but from what I read here and there the woofer needs a bandpass filter while the infinite baffle needs a low pass filter, both with high slopes.

I was reading a tutorial (link is not working) how to get a flat response using the the parametric equalization function from a feedback destroyer by behringer, the DSP1124P. In the tutorial the autor mentioned that the manual of the DSP1124P was not very complete...the same thing I would say applies for the DCX2496. At the site from behringer they say there is a parametric equalization function available, but don't say anything more than that (how many bands, etc). So I thought I would ask it here - what are the equalization possibilities of the DCX2496?

The reason I want to implement the DCX2496 instead of the DSP1124 is simply the fact that the DCX also got very good crossover functions, which I will also need for the woofer and subwoofer (and for possible tweaking of the whole system).

many thanks for reading

Erik

sqlkev said:
the dcx can do its function as much as the memory on the unit allows.
For every little function on the unit you use, it uses up a bit of memory.

Yes, I understood that from the manual... so let's say I will use six 24dB/octave filter (that is, one bandpass and one low pass, in stereo) - how much memory is left for equalization? The DSP1124P got "24 fully programmable parametric filters that can be set manually or via MIDI" - how much of those filters are left on the DCX2496 (something tells me there are not much filters left :xeye: ).

Erik

When i use my setup as stereo 3 way, I used mainly steep filters, time alignment, phase adjustments. I have about 2-3 PEQ per channel and the memory would be full. In many cases, you won't need much more adjustments than that.
I opted to go with an additional deq though.

Hi,
it's a while since I packed it away in it's box so my memory is already getting rusty.

You can set up a notch or boost on each of the inputs.
You can set up a notch or boost on each of the outputs.

I do not think you can do any more notches or boosts than this.

The effective total on any single output is two EQs, one from the input and one from the output.

In addition to the EQs, a single output can be set to Lopass only, Hipass only or bandpass. You do not need to use two output channels to achieve a bandpass.

Then you can add the dynamic filtering and the time delays.

A sub + main in stereo will only use 4 output channels. The two spare channels with NO eq and NO filters will save a lot of memory leaving more for EQ and filter action. The steep filters (-48db/oct) use a lot of memory.

Sql,
how do you program DCX to get 3 EQs into an output channel?

Let me answer for Sql, you simply select the EQ number (1 by default) and turn the jog wheel to the right so that EQ 2 is activated and so on...

Like said before you have infinite EQs as long as you have enough memory.
For instance, I use :
- 24db HP+LP x1 + 5 EQ for the sub
- 24db HPx2 + 3 EQx2 for the sattelites

and that leaves me about 30 % free memory. That should give you an idea.

Best

kepa1 said:
Let me answer for Sql, you simply select the EQ number (1 by default) and turn the jog wheel to the right so that EQ 2 is activated and so on...

Like said before you have infinite EQs as long as you have enough memory.
For instance, I use :
- 24db HP+LP x1 + 5 EQ for the sub
- 24db HPx2 + 3 EQx2 for the sattelites

and that leaves me about 30 % free memory. That should give you an idea.

Best

Hi Kepa1 - thanks for this example. I have decided to work for a week and get the money to buy the DCX instead of staying at home soldering a (function limited) analog crossover.

Hi all

Thanks for the replies! I downloaded the software and played a bit with it. Really very nice to see all available functions (shelving filters :D) and what is possible with the memory - I think it will be enough for my needs!

I will walk along the work agencies here in Eindhoven and look for a summer job!

Erik

Kepa1

You said the "DCX should be avaliable in Europe now", does that indicate Behringer will now start making them again. I am thinking of buying a used DCX but it will cost almost same as new unit because they were not making them and people are desparate for them?

Or are the stories correct that Behringer is having trouble making them again because of copyright laws and legal problems.

Al.M

Hi,
no.
A Q=0.16 is a very flat equalisation, either cut or boost but spread over a wide frequency range.

A high Q gives a narrow band equalisation, but DCX is limited in it's range of Qs and is not designed as a narrow band filtering system.

Oh, how I wish electronics was nice and simple, but all these terms are thrown in by the experts to confuse the rest of us.
Do they do it deliberately, to maintain a closed shop?

The dcx goes up to a Q=10 on the parametric, which is pretty narrow.

AndrewT - it sounds to me like you took it out the box, played for an hour or so and packed it away ?

Rob.

FWIW I replaced a feedback destroyer pro with a dcx and it does everything I need it to on subs. Also use a dcx on my mains and have a DEQ2496 before that. With proper speakers you will not need the DEQ. Enough processing on the dcx. Only reason I still have the deq is that I haven't got round to E-baying it yet. Its sitting in the chain doing nothing right now(except showing a pretty rta of the music:D )

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.