Building the ultimate NOS DAC using TDA1541A

I was thinking it could work with 7220 completely removed (I rememberI read somewhere that it's possible). Or do you mean that the wire comes from where it used to be pin 23 of 7220 to pin 11 of 7210?
Otherwise I guess I have to put it back and use it only for the muting part. I will provide a separate PSU but do you think it will work if I also provide it with a separate clock? (the old quartz-capacitors). Tx

Last edited:
And ...it worked! thanks a lot. I read before about this pin11-pin23 connection but I guess I was misinterpreting the instructions thinking that 7220 should be in place.

The only problem I have now: is not start playing immediately as it is returning an "Er" message on display. After few retries (clicking ok Play sometimes also on Next or Prev) it is able to read the CD toc and to start playing the music. Same "Er" appears also when I start it and there is no CD inserted. Any idea what could it be?

Dear -EC-,

I am studying the possibility to use the preferred NAS->Rapsberry Pi3->Mosaic option. I have a doubt concerning the WAV files, from this quoted description:

"Music:
Music stored on NAS
Music is delivered to RPI3 from minimServer + minimStreamer (UPnP/DNLA)
Music is transcoded to wav to offload RPI3
Separate setting required in minimStreamer to support transcoding
Tested with Synology DS216e NAS"

I usually store directly on WAV files. I imagine I can read directly from the NAS the WAV files, right?
I probably would use a PC first as "NAS"...or would it degrade sound?

Thank you very much.
M.

Hi guys. I have bought MUSICAL FIDELITY DIGILOG. First standalone dac ever made. It is beautifly made inside. Tantalum caps, voltage regulation, toroidal transformer.

I would like to upgrade it a bit. I know the NOS sound and i love it.

My question is.

Is it better to install AMARENO for USB or delete SAA7220 with FIFO RECLOCK board and stay on SPDIF/OPTICAL?

I know there is a 3rd ultimate way with sim binary mode but I don't know how to do this so please help me decide what to do.
126771_large_d2da1ef885b79706b98cea0a2db5b8c3.jpg

Thanks.

Hi maxlorenz,

I usually store directly on WAV files. I imagine I can read directly from the NAS the WAV files, right?
I probably would use a PC first as "NAS"...or would it degrade sound?

You can read the WAV files from NAS but there is no meta data.

PC hardware would produce more interference than a NAS, think of video chip, more powerful processor, on-board DC to DC converters and so on.

Hi maxlorenz,

You can read the WAV files from NAS but there is no meta data.

PC hardware would produce more interference than a NAS, think of video chip, more powerful processor, on-board DC to DC converters and so on.

Thanks -EC-,
It seems minimserver is the way to go. I have to study it further.

You might like following picture.

Great! We expect the invoices soon, then.
Maybe I'll get my Mosaic before my birthday, with chance :D

Cheers,
M.

5 days with Mosaic UV

I was not prepared for this. I thought this will be a very good, a very interesting DAC. After many hours of going thru my files I now know this is a game-changer. This sounds much better then I ever thought digital has any right to sound. If analog sounded any better in past years - I don`t remember it doing so.

Thank you John, thank you Gordon for your patience, passion and ingenuity. Thank you so much for sharing your dream with us. It is a privilege of being part of the ECdesigns community: listening to music in its pure beauty, not to a system.

F.