Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Building the ultimate NOS DAC using TDA1541A
Building the ultimate NOS DAC using TDA1541A
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th January 2018, 01:41 PM   #6031
hopkins is offline hopkins  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecdesigns View Post
Hi RonSSNova,

We have few Mosaic UV DACs left, these are the last one's. We won't be starting up a new batch. Manufacturing these fully handcrafted DACs is problematic and very time consuming.

Another problem are the external factors we have no control over like mains power quality and digital audio source properties. Other DACs also suffer from these external factors.

So we plan to redesign the entire DAC once again in order to eliminate the influence of these external factors and simplify the design so manufacturing becomes easier and faster.

Prototypes are up and running, showing this is indeed possible.
Can you tell us a little more?

For mains power I think I have solved the problem using a good isolation transformer upfront. On the digital source side, I am quite happy with an Allo USBridge. What type of input are you planning and what further benefits do you forsee?
Old 9th January 2018, 03:36 PM   #6032
wlowes is offline wlowes  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neptunes4you View Post
Hi Fellas!

I am wondering if any of you here have ever tried to run a TDA1541 or a TDA1541A from a 192kHz 24bit source with I2S NOS mode, directly coming from an optically isolated USB to I2S converter.
I confirm that the TDA1541a runs beautifully at 192k in I2S NOS mode. It sounds even better in simultaneous mode. I can endorse from personal experience the following chain. BBB to AKO S03 isolator/reclocker to IanCanada PCM to simultaneous converter to Ryanj 1541a PCB. All are topics on DIYAUDIO and readily available. I started with USB. Good but eliminating USB is a big step up so the BBB or a RPi directly outputting I2S is great. Most has been positively influenced by the knowledge in this thread.

Sounds like Mosaic would be a step forward again.
Old 9th January 2018, 04:05 PM   #6033
ernesternest is offline ernesternest  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi RonSSNova,

We have few Mosaic UV DACs left, these are the last one's. We won't be starting up a new batch. Manufacturing these fully handcrafted DACs is problematic and very time consuming.

Another problem are the external factors we have no control over like mains power quality and digital audio source properties. Other DACs also suffer from these external factors.

So we plan to redesign the entire DAC once again in order to eliminate the influence of these external factors and simplify the design so manufacturing becomes easier and faster.

Prototypes are up and running, showing this is indeed possible.
Hi John, are you keeping USB as the main and only input for your new version?
Old 9th January 2018, 07:49 PM   #6034
maxlorenz is offline maxlorenz  Chile
diyAudio Member

Quote:
All equipment suffers from this.
For power quality I cannot recommend enough the use of balanced power.
I also use John's "charge-transfer" supplies both in low and high power circuits to good effect. Maybe not ideal but better than without them...
Old 10th January 2018, 08:54 AM   #6035
SSerg is offline SSerg  Russian Federation
diyAudio Member

Happy New Year everyone!

Quote:
With TDA1541A running in simultaneous mode it could support 384/16.
Yes, I can confirm that the TDA1541A supports a stream of 352 kHz / 16 bits. I used the TDA1541A in a simultaneous mode with a digital filter SM5813APT. This DF supports 8x mode, i.e. 44,1*8=352,8 kHz.
Old 11th January 2018, 12:15 PM   #6036
ecdesigns is offline ecdesigns  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Hi ernesternest,

Quote:
Hi John, are you keeping USB as the main and only input for your new version?
Yes, we keep the proven USB (UAC1, adaptive) as one and only digital audio interface.

The Mosaic II prototype offers a -very- high degree of source immunity (the source basically doesn't matter anymore as long as it's bit-perfect).

It is battery powered, this will simply eliminate mains power supply and voltage regulator related issues.
Old 11th January 2018, 12:47 PM   #6037
koldby is offline koldby  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi ernesternest,

Yes, we keep the proven USB (UAC1, adaptive) as one and only digital audio interface.

The Mosaic II prototype offers a -very- high degree of source immunity (the source basically doesn't matter anymore as long as it's bit-perfect).

It is battery powered, this will simply eliminate mains power supply and voltage regulator related issues.
That is THE best way to eliminate the mains problem. Using LiPo4 batteries makes sure the powersource is very quiet. At a time I even had USB reciever -fifo -dac preapm and Power amp running on battery power. And plenty of power for the speakers. UcD 700 with a discrete input stage on 2 x 96 V batteries.

Sounded really good. Only problem I love my 6C33 OLT tube amplifier, and it will be very hard to run that one on batteries!
Old 11th January 2018, 03:51 PM   #6038
ernesternest is offline ernesternest  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi ernesternest,

Hi John, thank you; interesting. So basically USB input and PSU are being modified. The DAC itself stays in principle and will be produced more efficiently.

Will you be able to keep the price point where it is now?

Cheers, Ernst
Old 12th January 2018, 10:47 PM   #6039
hopkins is offline hopkins  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi ernesternest,

Being able to use any source USB device would be brilliant. There is so much time, money and energy wasted on trying to optimize usb at the source... Can you tell us a little more on how your DAC would be "source immune"?
Old 19th January 2018, 12:33 AM   #6040
swak is offline swak
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi,

have you thought of accommodating for a multi-channel DAC? USB in to 4 to 6 analog out channels would be a deal for people using multi way horns.

S.

Building the ultimate NOS DAC using TDA1541AHide this!Advertise here!