Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Building the ultimate NOS DAC using TDA1541A
Building the ultimate NOS DAC using TDA1541A
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th November 2017, 11:21 AM   #5981
hopkins is offline hopkins  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henderson View Post
Notice an other wifi router can also reduce ground loops and the noise comming from the provider box:

shortly : little 5 v wifi router with a clean powersupply to minimize noise (no Noisy smps) -> short RJ45 ethernet cable to the Rpi -> USB outputt to "Mosaic"

the data are sent by the provider box (all have wifi those days) towards this low power wifi router. And the remote control (tablett, smartphones, laptop) is still Wireless...
NAS is linked to the provider box or HDD via usb to it as it has internal DNLA protocol as well.

soundcheck's - audio@vise: networking - my audio data highway
You can do the exact same thing with an apple airport express. You can mod them very easily to remove the build in power supply and use an external 3.3.V power supply, which is what I have done and am using a simple meanwell supply. Here is an illustration: Tutorial: iPhone Airplay In Car via Airport Express - NASIOC
Old 9th November 2017, 11:34 AM   #5982
Henderson is offline Henderson
Banned

Did you hear a difference VS direct ethernet cable ?

I have not tested it myself !

Seems what is making ECdesign with complex redesign of USB inputt with most modern chips (no isolator anymore but noise supressor ?) makes more sense !
Old 9th November 2017, 11:48 AM   #5983
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henderson View Post
Did you hear a difference VS direct ethernet cable ?

I have not tested it myself !

Seems what is making ECdesign with complex redesign of USB inputt with most modern chips (no isolator anymore but noise supressor ?) makes more sense !
I actually have not tested it in that context but will do so.
Old 10th November 2017, 05:05 PM   #5984
Bertel is offline Bertel  Germany
diyAudio Member

Have just ordered the TUBULUS ARGENTUS – USB CABLE V2 DUAL HEAD. Will try to supply the power for the power USB-A plug from a clean 5V power source, likely battery, and report my findings here.
Old 10th November 2017, 07:55 PM   #5985
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopkins View Post
I actually have not tested it in that context but will do so.
I set it up last night but did not do any thorough comparisons. It works well, that is all I can say.

Best to deactivate Airplay in the Airport Express (if it is only used as a bridge, which is the case here).

This solution is very useful if you do not have your router close to your player, which is my case, and don't want to use a power line adapter or a direct wifi connection on the Pi.

Whether it is better than a straight cable to a router/internet box may depend on the router you are comparing it to.
Old 11th November 2017, 03:48 PM   #5986
Banned

@ Hoptinks : Hi,

so no difference from an audio perspective ?

@ Bertel : Hi,

I 've been thinking of Rolling some tape around the metal end plug of the USB cable to test the shield isolation on the side of the USB B plug soldered on the device ground !
If just the -V bus is allowing to return the current to the ground of the Host we may have less noise as the device or the host may have feriite on this bus just before the host controller & its outputt plug ? The external shielding becomming as well a true shield against external EMI ? instead of just protecting the near outside devices ? (my posts above)

easier and safer than surgeon on cables
Old 14th November 2017, 01:18 PM   #5987
Banned

Hello,

Ah this adhesiv tape trick seems to have zeo sucess... certainly a bad idea I assume !

Sorry for digging out an old subject... I would like to try active DEM clock on a TDA1541A DAC.

What is the speed of the I2S Bclk line ? Minimum 1.4112 M Hz with Red book materials (16/44.1) ?

And what is the speed one should use between the 176.5 k Hz and 2.4 M Hz advised please with the divider to feed the clock pin 16 inputt of the TDA1541A ?

I would to use a simple circuit : ECDESIGN's shematic 10K R and 0.1U in serie with pin 16 but with just a decoupling on pin 17 (0.1U to ground) : is it ok ?

For people whom tried Active DEM hacked from the Bclk pin 2, what is the frequency you liked best please ?

Many thanks
Old 26th November 2017, 04:02 PM   #5988
diyAudio Member

Can I please share a quick summary of my humble findings regarding the USB power supply topic:

At the moment, I'm still running my Mosaic UV from my PC (with Foobar and Kernel Streaming, works fine) until I have found the most suitable setting for the Mosaic, then I will look into the Raspberry et al. music server side. At first it was not trivial to find an USB port that would actually provide bit perfect playback, some did seemingly work but produced clicks and dropouts as well as no 'bit perfect' green light at any time, but then with two USB ports it worked fine.

As said above, I had then purchased the TUBULUS ARGENTUS USB CABLE V2 DUAL HEAD. Only one of these two USB ports on my computer let me use the data from this port and the power from another - still with bit perfect results, but interestingly the green light went on substantially quicker! I can only guess that the reason for this is less crap on the signal lines, but have no evidence. Although I don't trust subjective observations, I still found sound reproduction quite more detailed, bass a bit deeper and clearer, soundstage more precise, but as said this is all subjective, no measurements or 'correct' A/B testing done.

Now I have connected the Power cable of the Dual Tubulus to my lab power supply to provide clean, mass and potential separated USB power to the Mosaic as signal for host detection - see pictures. Works flawlessly. This way I think we can eliminate the above discussed detrimental USB power issues and their effect on the USB signal (which itself of course is still covered in a lot of crap and dirt as it comes from the PC, but already music reproduction is brilliant). I don't think I will bother to experiment with battery or so but just leave it that way for the moment. Because next up is powerline conditioning for the Mosaic.

Last edited by Bertel; 26th November 2017 at 04:21 PM.
Old 26th November 2017, 04:10 PM   #5989
diyAudio Member

Pictures
Old 27th November 2017, 11:09 PM   #5990
Banned

Hi, did you experiment with ethernet UTP (plastick jack) cable instead FTP (metal jack : so shielded= gnd linked)?

I see the USB plug of the Mosaic is touching the cabinet : does it make a ground loop with the Earth wire of the supply IEC cable of the Mosaic ? Or it doesn't matter cause it's not on the analog signal outputt ?
Did you try adhesiv tape around one of the side of your usb cable as you use the gnd internal wire ?
I noticed myself small but real improvment with a 30 cm usb wire in spit of a 1.80 m !

Building the ultimate NOS DAC using TDA1541AHide this!Advertise here!