Building the ultimate NOS DAC using TDA1541A - Page 581 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th December 2016, 11:11 AM   #5801
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxlorenz View Post
Thank you dear. Nice project.
But as I understand, you can't have I2S and simultaneous mode at the same time...
You need to do your homework pet!

That's the whole point of the board - I2S in and what Iancanada calls PCM out with simultaneous latching of the + & - sdata. BCK is also stopped after the data has been latched in.

Here is the spec:
1. Support 16,18,20,24 bit PCM format output
2. Accept 16 to 32bit I2S input signals with SCK from 32*Fs to 64*Fs
3. Pure NOS mode with bit-perfect format converting
4. High speed design capable for 384KHz Fs with maximum MCLK up to 100MHz
5. Support PCM63,AD1865,AD1862,PCM1704,PCM1702,TDA1541/A and many other classical MULTIBIT DACs
6. Support TDA1541/A working at offset binary mode
7. Jumper selectable full-speed mode and half-speed mode
8. L,R simultaneous timing, launching D/A conversion at same latching edge to eliminate L/R phase difference
9. In order to reduce DAC noise floor, bit clock can be stopped after data shifted into DAC (default)
10. Delayed falling edge of latch enable signal (LLLR) applied to stop clock mode
11. Support dual mono DAC configuration
12. Jitter optimized synchronize logic architecture with last stage high speed low noise re-clocking flip-flops driven by original MCLK
Old 24th December 2016, 12:52 PM   #5802
diyAudio Member

Thank you both!

Last edited by maxlorenz; 24th December 2016 at 12:56 PM.
Old 24th December 2016, 02:31 PM   #5803
esgigt is online now esgigt  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxlorenz View Post
Anyway, look what Santa brought today...a 2,5KVA Balanced Power Transformer.
nice to power a headphones amp....
Old 10th January 2017, 09:15 AM   #5804
sl1 is offline sl1  Slovenia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecdesigns View Post
We plan to design and offer a DIY board next year, it will be based on our novel USB audio receiver chip and a TDA1541A or 2 x TDA1543 running in simultaneous vs quasi simultaneous mode.
I can't wait for a new board from you which will be integrating usb with TDA1541A in simultaneous mode. It will probably also have some kind of reclocking with an oscillator next to TDA chip?
I'm sure it will be top-noch, so count me in - we can start an interest list.

Best Regards, Sl1
Old 10th January 2017, 02:07 PM   #5805
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by koldby View Post
For the 1543, I have had the configuration maxlorenz uses, but I made another I/V stage that keeps the output from 1543 at almost 0 V.
What surprises me every time I see this generic I2S input with diodes is that the TDA1543 has exactly this topology inside the chip, supplemented with diodes to earth and plus 5V.
Maybe someone can elaborate why this doubling is needed? For the TDA1541, yes, I can see the need to take this further development in the TDA1543 (and dittoA) as a new way of interfacing.
Old 10th January 2017, 11:47 PM   #5806
jdg123 is offline jdg123  United States
diyAudio Member

[QUOTE=sl1;4946527]I can't wait for a new board from you which will be integrating usb with TDA1541A in simultaneous mode.

we can start an interest list.

I"M ALL CAPS for THAT!
Old 11th January 2017, 06:34 AM   #5807
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally Posted by triode_al View Post
What surprises me every time I see this generic I2S input with diodes is that the TDA1543 has exactly this topology inside the chip, supplemented with diodes to earth and plus 5V.
Maybe someone can elaborate why this doubling is needed? For the TDA1541, yes, I can see the need to take this further development in the TDA1543 (and dittoA) as a new way of interfacing.

If we are talking about using diodes as a voltage reference as part of a divider for attenuation on the I2S, my reference is Thorsten Loesch designer at AMR via web diyhifi.org - but that 'its the same as the input stage of the chip and - how the f*ck did this come ever come about as a solution for attenuation?. ...'

Audial do not use I2S attenuation at all... But they do use sim-data mode but no FIFO and they do produce what is about as good as a 1541A DAC you will find. AMR does use I2S attenuation but does not use sim data mode, but does use FIFO.

And after all of these years you probably know this already = short answer if you want sim data and FIFO = build it your self. Only way. If you want 1541A PCB platform, buy from Pedja at Audial = the only worthwhile way, other wise just a hack, and including guys who sell oscillating designs (sorry - but its a fact).. oh yeah just change a resistor or two = not the point. How did it go to production like that in the first place = what else is compromised?.. best guess is quite a bit.

As always proven design works best, would be good if John could finalise a 1541A = agree.. but how and when?

LH/S

Last edited by Ludwig Haus; 11th January 2017 at 06:59 AM. Reason: .
Old 11th January 2017, 08:10 AM   #5808
sl1 is offline sl1  Slovenia
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I know Pedja makes good stuff - I've had his Aya1 DAC for 10+ years. John also makes good stuff and even shares most of his knowledge with the public. For thanks people say he changes his mind too often when he comes to a realisation and makes a turn - well, it's called development.
Look - a lot of people work on developing the best DAC possible and some copying of ideas and solutions, some reinventing of old stuff somebody published in 1980s and so on comes with it.
And since this is supposed to be DIY for enthusiasts where we share and work together, I don't see a problem as long as we all recognise who came up with what. We all need some recognition for our work.

But I do see 2 problems:
- some people linger around until they gather enough info to build something and then they release "their" product and try to make money using other peoples ideas (basically that is the core of modern capitalism - take advantage of others to make money)
- some leading developers come up with designs using programmed controllers and chips which practically nobody can DIY at home and most people can't afford. For me, this is not DIY anymore. This is: buy it, connect it to a transformer and put it in a box. No velding, no understanding how it actually works, no fun.

I will certainly try to build my own FIFO when I learn enough about using shift registers and counters.
Old 11th January 2017, 04:33 PM   #5809
diyAudio Member

Coming here to post a question about the ecdesigns DEM clock and I2S attenuator back in post #2748!

Reminds me just how much of this thread I am yet to read, let alone absorb! Keep up the good work all of you.

I now feel like my question will relate to well outdated versions of implementation but it is where I am at.

Question:

The BCK signal that goes towards the DEM reclock should be without attenuation. Correct?

Without first being aware of the beautiful mosaic DAC of ecdesigns I have been drawing a modular dac in Eagle - it has ended up modular to fit in with the limitations of board size of free version of EagleCAD; I think it breaks down the gnd planes nicely; and I am enamoured by the Cambridge Audio 4 X parallel implementation that has multiple dac modules standing vertically to facilitate parallel operation.

Drawing the PCB in Eagle I have noticed that BCK is getting routed to the DEM recheck section after it has passed through the I2S attenuator. Should I redraw it so that the DEM recheck receives the "raw" BCK signal?

Thanks and good evening
Old 12th January 2017, 05:13 AM   #5810
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl1 View Post
Hi,

I know Pedja makes good stuff - I've had his Aya1 DAC for 10+ years. John also makes good stuff and even shares most of his knowledge with the public. For thanks people say he changes his mind too often when he comes to a realisation and makes a turn - well, it's called development.
Look - a lot of people work on developing the best DAC possible and some copying of ideas and solutions, some reinventing of old stuff somebody published in 1980s and so on comes with it.
And since this is supposed to be DIY for enthusiasts where we share and work together, I don't see a problem as long as we all recognise who came up with what. We all need some recognition for our work.

But I do see 2 problems:
- some people linger around until they gather enough info to build something and then they release "their" product and try to make money using other peoples ideas (basically that is the core of modern capitalism - take advantage of others to make money)
- some leading developers come up with designs using programmed controllers and chips which practically nobody can DIY at home and most people can't afford. For me, this is not DIY anymore. This is: buy it, connect it to a transformer and put it in a box. No velding, no understanding how it actually works, no fun.

I will certainly try to build my own FIFO when I learn enough about using shift registers and counters.
Agree about the capitalist thing - not something I'd support. But there is another option - you can easily buy Ian Canada's FIFO, isolator, reclock and PCM boards for not so much money and run it with your AYA.. then use Johns gifted DEM scheme (or not) and realise excellent sound without supporting any capitalist at all !!

LH/S

Hide this!Advertise here!