Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th July 2006, 12:40 AM   #521
diyAudio Member

Default Listening session

Hi Dutchman,

I am really sorry about that,

I just send you an invitation by email, your patience is rewarded. You are the first diyaudio member that can listen to the new I2S setup.
Old 8th July 2006, 04:09 PM   #522
diyAudio Member

Default Clocking the PCM63p dac...

Hi all -

I've had this question in my mind for the past couple of days, and have just come across ur clocking-at-dac & clock-slaved-back-to-transport discussions..
{sorry, I don't mean to hijack the thread here}

If I use a Trichord clock'3' module at the Burr Brown PCM63 dacs, do I just inject the 16.9--- Mhz frequency to Bit clock / Master clock....or should it be divided down to a lesser frequency ?

As these dacs IC's are in a one-box unit {Copland 288} I have no worries about cable length back to the transport (6 inches).

I noticed that Wadia sport this kind of setup with the main clock driving the Dacs first, then linked back to slave the transport !

Many thanks for your enlightenment
(I posess very little digital knowledge- as you can tell!)

Warmest regards,

-Andy-
Old 8th July 2006, 04:49 PM   #523
diyAudio Member

Doesn't Wadia use ST fiber optic cable to pass clock & signal separately between transport & dac? Curious whether ST FO transceivers (much superior to toslink) might be an interesting alternative to SPDIF or I2S. I wouldn't dismiss ST FO out of hand, tho it is less popular now than years ago. A friend of mine who was using it with his Wadia heard differences between ST cables--possibly due to variability in the quality of polishing on the cable ends.

Dave
Old 8th July 2006, 11:14 PM   #524
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Terry Demol
Personally I run a slaved transport with master oscillator in DAC. This is theoretically even better than I2S because the XO is -right at the dac- reclocking all signals. Also the interface is less important.
I also slave the CDP to DAC clock. Rather than reclocking the jittery, asynchronous signals that come out of the S/PDIF receiver, I strap the 8412/4 in mode 1 and shift the bits out of the receiver with the same clock that shifts them into the DAC chips. That way all asynchronous signal transitions are confined to the bi-phase decoder.

RE: Linear Interpolation

I did a lot of modeling, simulating, and testing of interpolation for a previous project. For NOS data streams, linear interpolation was not very rewarding. I had much better results with non-linear interpolation. I used 16 DACs per channel. The data and word clock were shifted into separate 64-bit registers and each DAC could get its data and word clock from any of the 64 taps.
Old 9th July 2006, 06:27 AM   #525
diyAudio Member

Default Non linear interpolation

Hi Ulas,

Thanks for your reply [post524]

The 64 bit register setup for data and word clock with taps, is in the universal timing chain diagram [post#442], it already has 63 usable taps and can drive 32 DAC chips.

Read [post#151] very carefully, it already proves that I tried similar setups, but sound quality degraded, since the time interval between samples has to remain constant.
Old 9th July 2006, 06:42 AM   #526
diyAudio Member

Hi NjoyTHEMUSIC,

thanks for hijaqcking this thread [post#522]

I looked up some specs about the copland 288, it uses 8 times oversampling and a digital filter (pacific microsonics-100). So if I am not mistaken, the DAC clock equals the master clock, so it doesn't need to be divided. (44.1KHz * 48 * 8 = 16.9344 MHz)

The question about how to route the master clock is difficult to answer, each setup can have it's advantages. I think the best way to find out is just to try both setups (switch between the two if possible) and use the one that you like. A third option (since you use a short 6" cable) is locating the masterclock halfway using 2 (thin coax) cables with the same length, routed from the master clock to both DAC and transport.

cheers,

John
Old 9th July 2006, 08:54 AM   #527
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ulas

RE: Linear Interpolation

I did a lot of modeling, simulating, and testing of interpolation for a previous project. For NOS data streams, linear interpolation was not very rewarding. I had much better results with non-linear interpolation.
What weighting did you apply to the samples?
Old 9th July 2006, 09:03 AM   #528
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Clocking the PCM63p dac...

Quote:
Originally posted by NjoyTHEMUSIC
Hi all -

I've had this question in my mind for the past couple of days, and have just come across ur clocking-at-dac & clock-slaved-back-to-transport discussions..
{sorry, I don't mean to hijack the thread here}

If I use a Trichord clock'3' module at the Burr Brown PCM63 dacs, do I just inject the 16.9--- Mhz frequency to Bit clock / Master clock....or should it be divided down to a lesser frequency ?

As these dacs IC's are in a one-box unit {Copland 288} I have no worries about cable length back to the transport (6 inches).

I noticed that Wadia sport this kind of setup with the main clock driving the Dacs first, then linked back to slave the transport !

Many thanks for your enlightenment
(I posess very little digital knowledge- as you can tell!)

Warmest regards,

-Andy-

Two things. The PCM63 has no master clock. Dacs of its type don't. Next the PMD100 uses a burst clock and that has to be taken into account in any clock tweaking scheme.
Presumably, there is a clock that provides mclk to the PMD100 and the rest of the player. I'd try replacing that with the Trichord and leave everything else alone.
Old 9th July 2006, 01:29 PM   #529
MGH is offline MGH  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi ecdesigns,

Since you are planning to implement USB for the Octal DAC, here is an interesting link on different USB implementations written by John Swenson:

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/pc...ges/13336.html

Sounds complicated. How will you implement yours?
Old 9th July 2006, 03:51 PM   #530
diyAudio Member

Default Split the clock signal ?!!!!!?

Hi John (ecdesigns) -

Hijack ? Are you calling me 'Robin Hood' ?!?!

Ah come on ....you guys are sooo , and u know it !! - That's why I came to you for help (!)

Actually...respect to you all for your kind suggestions (including Lars!)

But John, seriously.....do you have a crystal ball or something???
You even predicted (& answered) my next question - about feeding the
transport and dac stage midway !!!!! Damm ur good !

BUT- Will feeding/splitting the output clock signal from the Trichord module between the transport servo pcb and HD100 IC have any delerious effect on the integrity of the clock signal ?

I'm gonna have me some fun, and also get Elso's Kwack-7 clock to compare with the Trichord'3 ' - I'll let you know how I get on ...

L8R, -Andy-

Hide this!Advertise here!