Building the ultimate NOS DAC using TDA1541A - Page 410 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th December 2011, 01:36 AM   #4091
diyAudio Member

Dear Galeb,

Your most generous offer is full of the Christmas spirit

...but you forgot to mention to whom it was directed...

Dear Esteban,

OK. I will reply.

Best wishes to all for this End of the Year festivities.
M.
Old 24th December 2011, 09:44 AM   #4092
galeb is offline galeb  Spain
diyAudio Member

sorry,

The offer is for John, because his one has broken.
Old 24th December 2011, 10:38 AM   #4093
diyAudio Member

Hi Galeb,

Very good. Altruism is the leitmotiv of the next age.

Merry Christmas and wonderful audio newyear.
M.
Old 24th December 2011, 03:26 PM   #4094
roger57 is offline roger57  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Best Wishes to All on DIY Audio!

Although we see a lot of barbs traded and a few heated discussions from time to time, the spirit of giving and sharing is evident all over on this forum. Love, peace and joy are the messages of Christmas, and I hope it finds each of you at this time and in the New Year.

Merry Christmas, all the best in 2012!

Gary

Old 29th December 2011, 05:06 PM   #4095
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by -ecdesigns- View Post
Hi studiostevus,

This year I have been busy building a new workshop, so I had very little time for audio projects. This workshop has now been completed.

Yesterday I completed common mode power supply schematics and routing of the PCB. The module will hold 5 separate common mode power supplies and fits on a euro size PCB.

Capacitance multipliers are located on the power supply module, pre / post regulators are on the MK8 DAC module.

I attached common mode power supply concept schematics. When combining it with the MK8 schematics I posted earlier (post #4008 on page 401) you can see how I split up the power supply sections.
I am working on a shopping list to try your power supply concept.... 16v caps right after rectified 12v ??
Old 30th December 2011, 07:16 AM   #4096
diyAudio Member

Hi studiostevus,

Quote:
I am working on a shopping list to try your power supply concept.... 16v caps right after rectified 12v ??
This depends on transformer secondary voltage under load and mains voltage fluctuations. I suggest to use 25V types for +5V and -5V supply smoothing cap and 35V for -15V supply smoothing cap.
Old 1st January 2012, 02:39 PM   #4097
diyAudio Member

Hi Ecd
Consider a smps power supply.

I still be some confused about the next,
first, De-emphasis, is there anyone who can explane what this mean?

second, In the data-sheet is stated that the system clock is X time Fs.
For example, the system clock is 22,5792 Mhz ( 512 Fs. Fs=44.1Khz).
But one can play cd's both with 44.1or 48 Khz data. Here is the point why I am confused. Because 512 x 48 Khz = 24.576 Mhz. Is there anyone who can explane?
Regards,
Zjaakco

Last edited by zjaakco; 1st January 2012 at 02:49 PM.
Old 2nd January 2012, 03:52 PM   #4098
dady is offline dady  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to dady Send a message via Skype™ to dady
Default Such a word .....leimotiv...

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxlorenz View Post
Hi Galeb,

Very good. Altruism is the leitmotiv of the next age.

Merry Christmas and wonderful audio newyear.
M.
Richard Wagner
Old 3rd January 2012, 07:32 AM   #4099
diyAudio Member

Hi zjaakco,

Quote:
Hi Ecd
Consider a smps power supply.
It is already extremely difficult to design an ultra low noise linear power supply without switching noise and ripple produced by a SMPS.

The noise needs to be so low to ensure low masterclock jitter and prevent modulating the masterclock jitter spectrum with more noise. It is also required to minimize interference in the DAC and connected equipment.

In general the SMPS mains filter performance is very limited in order to save cost, so first the mains and all connected (audio) equipment get polluted with RF interference. Rf interference has no problems passing power supplies (stray capacitance) and safety earth.

So my personal tip, never ever use SMPS in or anywhere near high performance audio equipment.

Quote:
I still be some confused about the next,
first, De-emphasis, is there anyone who can explane what this mean?
De-emphasis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Emphasis was used in few early CD recordings, and is rather seldom.

Quote:
second, In the data-sheet is stated that the system clock is X time Fs.
For example, the system clock is 22,5792 Mhz ( 512 Fs. Fs=44.1Khz).
But one can play cd's both with 44.1or 48 Khz data. Here is the point why I am confused. Because 512 x 48 Khz = 24.576 Mhz. Is there anyone who can explane?
The system clock is usually the highest clock frequency present in a (DAC) circuit.

system clock equals fs * oversampling factor * number of bits / frame * fixed factor.

fs equals the sample rate, the fixed factor is usually 1 but could also be a different number depending on clock distribution system and standard crystal frequencies.

So a CD player with 44.1 KHz sample rate, 8 times oversampling and 48 bits / frame would require 44,100 * 8 * 48 = 16.9344 MHz system clock. The system clock would be 16.9344 / 44,100 = 384fs.

NOS DAC running on 44.1 KHz and 64 bits / frame would require 44,100 * 1 * 64 = 2.8224 MHz system clock. The system clock would be 2.822,400 / 44,100 = 64fs.

Digital audio source with 44.1 Khz sample rate, 8 times oversampling and 64 bits / frame would require 44,100 * 8 * 64 = 22.579 MHz. The system clock would now be 22,579,000 / 41,100 = 512fs.

Digital audio source with 48 Khz sample rate, 8 times oversampling and 64 bits / frame would require 48,000 * 8 * 64 = 24.576 Mhz. The system clock would now be 24,576,000 / 48,000 = 512fs.

The amount of bits / frame determines the number of bits that can be processed. With 32 bits / frame 16 bits for L channel and 16 bits for R channel. With 48 bits / frame 24 bits for L channel and 24 bits for R channel, and with 64 bits / frame 32 bits for L channel and 32 bits for R channel.

SAA7220 digital filter for example uses 32 bits / frame, together with 4 times oversampling and 44.1 KHz sample rate. Required system clock would be 44,100 * 4 * 32 = 5.6448 MHz. But the SAA internal circuits require a higher system clock of 11.2896 MHz, this means the fixed factor is now 2.
Old 3rd January 2012, 06:26 PM   #4100
diyAudio Member

Hi Ecd
Thank you very much for your explanation.

The point for a smps was as follow.
A few months ago I read again the review of the linn cd12 on the side of stereophile .One of the remarkable points was the use of a smps. If a professional use it. why don't a diy'er use it?
The nice thing of audio is in my opinion one must make choices, like real life. With a result one like it, another don't like it. And you explane your choices.
Ecd, again, thanks.
Regards
Zjaakco

Hide this!Advertise here!