Building the ultimate NOS DAC using TDA1541A - Page 399 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th November 2011, 04:34 PM   #3981
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by -ecdesigns- View Post
Hi JOSI1,

I attached common mode regulator concept schematics for both, a positive and negative 5V supply.
John, can you share listening impressions of your voltage regs compared to other discrete alternatives?

I am designing a pcb now, based on many of your concepts, but with salas shunt regulators (most importantly to also add something of 'myself' and not to copy your whole design...). Not sure if i should pursue the salas regs or move towards your latest solution....
Old 13th November 2011, 04:58 PM   #3982
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by studiostevus View Post
John, can you share listening impressions of your voltage regs compared to other discrete alternatives?

I am designing a pcb now, based on many of your concepts, but with salas shunt regulators (most importantly to also add something of 'myself' and not to copy your whole design...). Not sure if i should pursue the salas regs or move towards your latest solution....
As far as I can see, John's Common Mode Regulator isolates both voltage supply and ground between the transformer/rectifier and the load.
Salas offers shunt regulator, which serves (probably successfully) a different purpose, which is supplying a very quiet voltage, but there is no isolation of the ground.
Possibly, a combination of both will be as good as it can be (especially for analog circuits).
However, when it comes to digital circuits, there is a huge benefit in isolating the power supply to each of the elements (clock, frequency divider, DAC chip, etc'). So, one shunt regulator to the entire unit may not be the best solution. Probably, a capacitance multiplier, or a separate regulator, to each of those building blocks is the best approach, since it does both functions in one stroke: supplying a very clean voltage and isolating different building blocks from one another.
Old 15th November 2011, 02:25 PM   #3983
diyAudio Member

is the FET regulator of MK7 on post 3681 now obsolete?
Old 17th November 2011, 06:25 AM   #3984
diyAudio Member

Hi studiostevus,

Quote:
The common mode voltage regulators result in a sound quality that closely approximates vinyl (without the scratches) and studio tape. With the discrete voltage regulators sound is already very good but one can still hear that the sound originates from a digital audio playback system.

The cascaded filtered buffered zener regulators in the form of a common mode regulator offer very fast local feedback and very low noise. They also provide essential high impedance between transformer / rectifier and connected load by placing a high impedance in the ground lead.
Old 17th November 2011, 06:34 AM   #3985
diyAudio Member

Hi marconi118,

Quote:
is the FET regulator of MK7 on post 3681 now obsolete?
Yes, the new TDA1541A-MK8 will have 4 on-board common-mode regulators based on the filtered buffered zener regulator concept.
Old 17th November 2011, 09:06 PM   #3986
brubeck is offline brubeck  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by -ecdesigns- View Post
Hi studiostevus,
The common mode voltage regulators result in a sound quality that closely approximates vinyl (without the scratches) and studio tape. With the discrete voltage regulators sound is already very good but one can still hear that the sound originates from a digital audio playback system.
I can add to this that we recently did a A/B listening comparison with my own full battery driven (4 x lead/acid) MK7 with discrete regulators against a same MK7 module with a experimental alpha version of the common mode voltage regulators on mains power. We did this test at John's place where the mains is pretty dirty. We could here NOT ANY DIFFERENCE between the batterie system and the mains PSU, how hard we tried. Incredible, a novum imo.
Old 17th November 2011, 10:14 PM   #3987
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brubeck View Post
I can add to this that we recently did a A/B listening comparison with my own full battery driven (4 x lead/acid) MK7 with discrete regulators against a same MK7 module with a experimental alpha version of the common mode voltage regulators on mains power. We did this test at John's place where the mains is pretty dirty. We could here NOT ANY DIFFERENCE between the batterie system and the mains PSU, how hard we tried. Incredible, a novum imo.
Applauds to John.
Old 18th November 2011, 05:14 AM   #3988
diyAudio Member

So are there still a lot of caps in front of the regulators?
Old 18th November 2011, 08:16 AM   #3989
diyAudio Member

Default TDA1541A-MK8 PCB lay-out

Here is a screen shot of the new TDA1541A-MK8 module PCB lay-out
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mk8pcb.jpg (89.4 KB, 658 views)
Old 18th November 2011, 08:34 AM   #3990
diyAudio Member

Looks very optimized! Mine is a lot more spaghetti in the reclocker.

What is the bit on the right of the reclocker (with the wirewound R) ?

Hide this!Advertise here!