Building the ultimate NOS DAC using TDA1541A

I haven't tried any transformer or buffered resistor loading solution, most probably, the transformer must be the most interesting one from the weirdest.
I did try lm4562 vs lm6172 in one last mod i did to a Sony player which has the same chipset as the Nakamichi cdp-2e :
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/dig...cd-players-enhancing-noise-7.html#post5718722
I simply replaced the lm4562 with lm6172 and the difference was instantaneous.Although the lm4562 gave me the impression of a deeper base while the lm6172 sounded more on the bright sight first, i quickly realized that actually the lm6172 had the exact amount of base that you need to have while the highs were just clearer .It's not a mellow combination, lm6172 is just very fast and powerful. Its noise is the only downside, but i think it's the right amount of noise that can hide any other digital noise, while it's not generating any distortion because it's so fast that it can amplify anything that the whole digital system can throw at .As this player has no low pass filter i just added a first order rc filter that i usually put everywhere in my toys (2k4-1...3.9nF).After that i have a tpa6120 headphones amplifier , another extremely fast circuit, and that is all i have...i have no place for speakers in my room. All i can say is that, even though it's on the bright side, i don't need any deeper base.My headphones are known to have a little more base than usual so it might be that the 6172 is even brighter .I have another player based on pcm1701 i am working on right now and i hope to be able to hear some differences after i finish the ada4898-1 i/v +lm4562 buffer and supply mods . Sorry for not being able to give you a proper feedback as i have no speaker setup at hand.

Apparently you are not using the TDA1541A in NOS mode , right?

Account Closed
Joined 2010
Apparently you are not using the TDA1541A in NOS mode , right?
Absolutely not and i will never do it, because i don't think i'm smarter than the Sony and Phillips engineers were when they admitted that they have to persuade the marketing department to pay for more components in a commercial system that needs to be sold so that they can pay their wages and make the owners rich, but even if i'd do it, the lm6172 still is amongst the best options for i/v stage because of its huge slew rate, high output power on low impedance loads , low thd at high frequencies and acceptable noise for only one tda1541 for both channels.

Absolutely not and i will never do it, because i don't think i'm smarter than the Sony and Phillips engineers were when they admitted that they have to persuade the marketing department to pay for more components in a commercial system that needs to be sold so that they can pay their wages and make the owners rich, but even if i'd do it, the lm6172 still is amongst the best options for i/v stage because of its huge slew rate, high output power on low impedance loads , low thd at high frequencies and acceptable noise for only one tda1541 for both channels.
Ok fine-- enjoy.

Reactions: 1 user
You skipped the " Thank God for that"...

Just try lm6172 or 2x lm6171 on a simple tda1541 for both channels and tell me about that after!
I don't care about the vibe surrounding the discrete non-NFB as long as i'm happy with the result of this simple IC.

Dear Dreamth,

We are here (this forum; this planet) to learn and we learn through experience (experimentation) so do not dismiss options until you try them. Some of us do not tolerate the "sound" of opamps anymore. They suck the life of the music.

Simple (low noise; low capacitance low inductance) resistor is best for TDA1543 (no slew), as -EC- taught us with his honeycomb resistors, then for TDA1541A comes the expensive Tx, then the simple discrete solution which better have "Low Thermal Memory Distortion" (LTMD) circuit or use 2SK30A, about which Hephaïstos (ascended Master) found it shows lowest TMD. :cool:

The idea is enjoy the breath of music again.
Low THD and high slew rate means nothing if the sound is sterile...

Cheers,
M

PS: I am sure -EC- can invent something even better. :D

Reactions: 1 user
Account Closed
Joined 2010
Dear Dreamth,

We are here (this forum; this planet) to learn and we learn through experience (experimentation) so do not dismiss options until you try them. Some of us do not tolerate the "sound" of opamps anymore. They suck the life of the music.

Simple (low noise; low capacitance low inductance) resistor is best for TDA1543 (no slew), as -EC- taught us with his honeycomb resistors, then for TDA1541A comes the expensive Tx, then the simple discrete solution which better have "Low Thermal Memory Distortion" (LTMD) circuit or use 2SK30A, about which Hephaïstos (ascended Master) found it shows lowest TMD. :cool:

Cheers,
M

WOW! Should i join the Sforce, Dark Fader?

Last edited:
WOW! It sounds like a new religion already...you can't fight the Faith, but i'm not going to join the Sforce!

Experimentation is not a religion. You are able to excercise discerment, a high function of the Mind, after the experience. And one might learn something extra in the process...

But perhaps you prefer the religion of opamp and low THD.

Note that I am not attacking but proposing a strategy.

Best of lucks,
M.

Last edited:
Account Closed
Joined 2010
Well ... i'm not looking for thd lower than 70...90 db and i actually like -50...60 db thd , but that is not the point...I prefer valves or tape to create distortions.
It seems that lm6172 for tda1541 with oversampling and no active low pass filter works for me...
You can try that too...just for the sake of experimentation as you mentioned it!

Last edited:
You don't need an AP to measure this.
You have a soundcard, so you can record a 1kHz test tone.
Bring this with whatever sound program to a level of -90.31dBFS and burn a new CD with this signal.
Now you have most likely a Riaa preamp.
Disable temporarily the Riaa network and turn it into a straight amp, a matter of one or two components.
Now you are ready to go, that's all, no AP.
As an example, here is a -90.31dbFS signal that I made sometime ago.

Dropbox - Sinus2, −30-90.3 dB, 1 kHz.aiff

Hans
Hi again.
I made a low noise (LM4562) x100 amp and played your file through the Signed Magnitude TDA1541A. Very noisy and it is not the preamp, but a very rude measuring setup not optimized for noise reduction, that causes all the overlaying noise. But definitely a recognizable 1Khz.
If I speculate on what would happen the DAC could not resolve that, it would not IMHO result in even order harmonic distortion, but in raised noisefloor and lack of resolution.
I still am convinced it is the small differences between the two dac's inside the TDA1541A that is the reason.

Attachments

• IMG_20190406_161209.jpg
    IMG_20190406_161209.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 360
  • IMG_20190406_161910.jpg
    IMG_20190406_161910.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 360
Dear Dreamth,

Cheers,
M

Amen!

Account Closed
Joined 2010
Hi again.
I made a low noise (LM4562) x100 amp and played your file through the Signed Magnitude TDA1541A. Very noisy and it is not the preamp, but a very rude measuring setup not optimized for noise reduction, that causes all the overlaying noise. But definitely a recognizable 1Khz.
If I speculate on what would happen the DAC could not resolve that, it would not IMHO result in even order harmonic distortion, but in raised noisefloor and lack of resolution.
I still am convinced it is the small differences between the two dac's inside the TDA1541A that is the reason.
using lm4562 at 100x can explain the noise in the system and also the nonlinear measurement of short duty cycles spikes...It's possible that the lm4562 itself produce some of the spikes.
As you might not like op-amps either...better use a cascoded common base structure supplied by a very low noise power supply if you want to measure those spikes accurately.

using lm4562 at 100x can explain the noise in the system and also the nonlinear measurement of short duty cycles spikes...It's possible that the lm4562 itself produce some of the spikes.
As you might not like op-amps either...better use a cascoded common base structure supplied by a very low noise power supply if you want to measure those spikes accurately.

It is ABSOLUTELY not noise from the opamp. I measured it about 1 - 2 mv out of the lm4562 x100 amp with shorted input ...And no spikes whatsoever.
I use a x1 probe into a scope with 5mV per division.

Please remember it is a DAC with absolutely no filters, so a lot of HF noise is expected!!

And I have never used a x100 amp when measuring distortion, why should I???

What spikes are you referring to?? I am not trying to measure spikes , but verify that the DAC actually have a resolution of at least 16 bits.

Last edited:
Hi again.
I'm sorry to hear.
This is what I got with the file.

Hans

Attachments

• square wave.jpg
    square wave.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 379
??
Sorry to hear what?
As far as I can see the DAC that I measure can easily resolve your file as well...:bigeyes:

It is only drowned in a lot of noise because of no digital filters and no analog filters..

I did not use any filters either, so my feeling is still that things can be improved on your side.
You could for the purpose of this measurement place a cap parallel to your output resistor to get a better view on what’s happening.
But the noise of your 100x amp could also contribute to the noise.
Is this a low noise op amp that you used ?

Hans

Koldby,
What about the idea of placing a 22nF cap par. to the output resistor, that would suppress noise quite a bit, just for testing.
What I don’t understand is where all this noise comes from.
You could also feed the Dac with only digital zero, and try to find the source of this noise, an idea ?

Hans