Building the ultimate NOS DAC using TDA1541A - Page 309 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th January 2010, 08:00 PM   #3081
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragglan View Post
If i get this right, this makes every sinewave longer !? Infact this reduce the frequens, and make the sound "false" from the original signal. Of course no existing person in the world can hear this.
??

I hope that wasn't a comment about my statement? I did not talk about changed frequency. Just the amplitude of the output signal gone trough a resistor. Your interpolation discussing doesn't apply to what I told you above.
It's the available voltage who sets the maximum roof where the DAC clips the signal. If you raise output so you push more current then you have to half the resistor for every doubling of DAC. You must not go in to that voltage roof which corresponds to max 80 - 90mV RMS.

But that You may allready know I hope

I'm only refering to practical tests which shows that this DAC distorts the audio signal if you have to large resistor.
Look here
Old 11th January 2010, 12:43 PM   #3082
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman62 View Post
??

I hope that wasn't a comment about my statement? I did not talk about changed frequency. Just the amplitude of the output signal gone trough a resistor. Your interpolation discussing doesn't apply to what I told you above.
It's the available voltage who sets the maximum roof where the DAC clips the signal. If you raise output so you push more current then you have to half the resistor for every doubling of DAC. You must not go in to that voltage roof which corresponds to max 80 - 90mV RMS.

But that You may allready know I hope

I'm only refering to practical tests which shows that this DAC distorts the audio signal if you have to large resistor.
Look here
Vet inte hur den här tråden kunde hamna här, den var ämnad till en tråd runt 3-8 nånsans.
Old 12th January 2010, 09:41 AM   #3083
diyAudio Member

Default 17bit ???

First i will tell i'm new in diy, and i really like this thread with the TDA1541A DAC chip. I thinking in this, so i can not sleep or work. please someone, tell me if ai'm totally wrong or right in this. Yes, i can see on the osilloscope that this really improve the signal, but what i don't understand is ... All the DAC's working with 16bit resolution and i have hard to belive that with 4 DAC's it should bee 17bit. I see this impossible. Because the only thing don is to move the signal in time, and make it's "dots" in diffrent levels of the 3 extra samples. But, the sine wave is just moved in time, and dischaped from original,wouldn't paralell be better? The extra samples are just virtuals and not in phase with the originall sample. To make it be in phase something have to be don with the signal after leaving the DAC's. How it looks like this on the osilloscope i have no idea, but for sure i will build one of these. Exelent work !!!! I send a picture to explain how i think.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sinwave1.JPG (42.5 KB, 1104 views)
Old 12th January 2010, 06:18 PM   #3084
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragglan View Post
Vet inte hur den här tråden kunde hamna här, den var ämnad till en tråd runt 3-8 nånsans.

Welcome fragglan
You have to quote a post if it's that far away. Particulary if it's an answer or reflection over a post from the first page of this thread, soon 4 years ago.
Old 15th January 2010, 02:19 AM   #3085
MGH is offline MGH  United States
diyAudio Member

Default PS Audio Perfect Wave Transport/DAC

Hi EC, been a while since I last saw your post. I see that you are trying to build an integrated lossless SD memory player/DAC now. It seems like your project is very similar to PS Audio PW Transport/DAC. It uses SD memory to store the digital data from either CD or high resolution DVD (or hard drive if you choose to use DAC only with its Network Bridge Card that is soon to be released). The Transport collects the data and strips all timining info and reclocks it in SD memory before sending it off to its DAC (WAV format currently) via I2S interface using their proprietary I2S HDMI interface. The DAC uses the latest Wolfson chip that has built in apodizing filters. Interestingly it has a "Native" mode where ASR converter is bypassed (ie, non oversampling). You can hook the DAC directly to the amp because it has its own digital volume control. According to PS Audio, you don't lose resolution on redbook CD if you play it above 50% of max volume. I understand the analogue output stage on the DAC is discrete without opamps. Have you seen or heard it?
Old 15th January 2010, 03:09 PM   #3086
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to audiodesign Send a message via Skype™ to audiodesign
Why continue to use the TDA1541 and not start a new project like this with AD1865 or AD1862 ?

DAC End 2 - the AD1865N-K with single ended vacuum output stage

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group...roup-buys.html
Old 15th January 2010, 09:42 PM   #3087
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiodesign View Post
Why continue to use the TDA1541 and not start a new project like this with AD1865 or AD1862 ?

DAC End 2 - the AD1865N-K with single ended vacuum output stage

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group...roup-buys.html
AN1865N-K is easy to find now
Old 23rd January 2010, 06:01 PM   #3088
diyAudio Member

Default Another D1M DAC.

This is my other D1M USB NOS DAC:

Picasa Web Albums - mauricio

It has "floating charge-transfer supply" and the new SuperTeddyRegs for the DAC chip module and for the transimpedance amplifier. This uses a variable R, provided by a resistor based potentiometer, with a good quality (low tempco) resistor in parallel. This mod allows for direct connection to the power amps (who wants preamps? Puaggh). Output caps are NOS (new old stock) Russian PEPT.
-ECdesigns'- USB receiver is powered AND isolated from laptop through the ADUM4160 module (not in the photo).

adum4160 « Circuits@Home

Now I have to try LED voltage references...and the I2S attenuators...
I am using here and there some chokes to evaluate their effect.
Cheers,
M

Last edited by maxlorenz; 23rd January 2010 at 06:05 PM.
Old 25th January 2010, 02:36 AM   #3089
jstang is offline jstang  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks John (ECdesign..)

Ok just finished my conversion to linear Interpolation on my 4X TDA1541 ..... WOW.... WOW .... WOW...

Listening to Van Halen Eruption now .... did I say WOW....

I turned on each DAC one at a time...and the music came alive with each DAC added. It added depth, layering and separation of the details & removed the digital edginess. FYI, The rest of my system is Vintage 70's Marantz, 7t + Model 500 and Ohm Fs. The Transport is a CD-Pro.

johnk

Last edited by jstang; 25th January 2010 at 02:45 AM.
Old 25th January 2010, 10:38 AM   #3090
diyAudio Member

Hi jstang,

I had that experience during development of the DI8 DAC.

But now, the ISD player makes the DI8 and DI4 (4 x TDA1541A-S1) sound like plain CD players by comparison. So what you are experiencing with the DI DAC is only the tip of the iceberg.

I would say that the DI8 sounds impressive, and the ISD player sounds highly transparent, detailed, fast, natural and very refined. Musical instruments sound natural, pure, and there is lots of "air" around the instruments.

Due to very low noise levels, background is pitch black. This enables accurate reproduction of both recording noise (spectrum) and micro details that are often buried in this noise. Every recording contains noise, when this is not audible on your set, the micro details of similar amplitude will be gone as well.

I attached a photograph of this Integrated SD Player. It's a complete super-tuned audio set in one compact box, SD-memory card in (up to 52 lossless CDs on a single 32Gb card), speaker out.

This is the result of 2 years of intensive research and endless listening tests. It's loaded with tricks and innovations. It merges both NOS DAC and SD-player projects.

Starting at the source, this is a solid-state player, tuned for minimum noise and interference levels, outputting 32 bits / frame I2S, providing lowest possible bit clock (lowest DAC on-chip ground-bounce levels, lowest on-chip timing jitter). Display consists of two large white 7-segments displays that offer excellent readability.

The source drives the TDA1543 DAC module, this is no ordinary TDA1543 application, this is a super-tuned application with separate Vref voltages for L and R channels, using 20th order LC filters. I had to make the I/V resistors myself as I couldn't find a suitable audiophile resistor for this application. The TDA1543 has I2S attenuators (200mVpp signal level) and a unique dynamic jitter attenuator circuit for BCK.

Both source and DAC chip are driven from a 11.2896 MHz superclock with integrated synchronous reclocker. This is the only clock in this system. The superclock power supply is also filtered by a 20th order LC filter for achieving extreme performance levels. The synchronous reclocker is driven through a capacitive node, providing galvanic insulation between clock and reclocker. The recloker receives a filtered clock signal (has passed a 3-crystal filter) offering high spectral purity.

Since I wasn't able to find suitable audiophile coupling caps yet, I also had to make these myself (modules left and right from the DAC module). These are very high speed hybrid caps.

The signal is then attenuated (pot) and passed to the only active part in the signal path (bridge power amps). These amps have balanced inputs, and outputs. I tap the GND reference straight from the I/V resistor.

The bridge power amps (left and right) are fully DC-coupled, have no global feedback, and super tuned for maximum dynamic resolution.

They use two dual JFETs and 4 power MOSFETs, that's all. They have large on-board reservoir caps (60,000uF) that can provide instant peak currents. The power amps have on-board mains power supplies using unique stepped rectifiers, offering better refinement when running on mains voltage. These amps were designed to remain completely stable, far into the MHz range (ISD player uses large bandwidth signal processing in order to achieve highest possible dynamic resolution).

The main power supply (center rear) consists of a transformer, 3-stage stepped rectifiers, 2 discrete series-cascaded regulators (filtered LED reference for lowest noise levels), and 4th order LC filters on each output. All voltages track, so minor (LF) fluctuations are common for all connected loads. One single transformer also injects far less mains noise compared to multiple-transformer power supplies.

The ISD player can be operated locally (keys, volume knob) or by remote control.

Since one SD(HC) card can hold up to 52 CDs at the moment, the ISD player is basically a 52 CD changer as well. It also has random disc / track function, so you can listen to your favorite music (play lists) all day without touching the unit. SD(HC) card of 32Gb capacity offers approx. 52 hours of non-stop high-performance digital audio playback.

Since this is a solid-state player, it's dead quiet (no moving parts). It's also far less sensitive to external mechanical vibration.

How to get your favorite music on a SD-card? I offer a free application for mac, linux and windows that reads play lists, converts them into WAV (if required) and writes them to the SD-card using correct directory and file names at the push of a key. leaflets with (for reference) can be printed too.

The ISD player modules are available separately for use in other projects, or to build an ISD player step by step.

Since the concept is fully modular, different DAC modules could be used in the future. TDA1541A DAC module is already planned, but first I need to be able to outperform super-tuned TDA1543 application, not an easy task as the TDA1541A probably requires an active output circuit.

The TDA1543 DAC module has fully passive output, so active output stage distortion is completely eliminated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg isd-testing.jpg (117.3 KB, 872 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!