Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Building the ultimate NOS DAC using TDA1541A
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th November 2006, 04:21 PM   #1091
ecdesigns is offline ecdesigns  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default TDA1543 D-I 16 core almost completed

Hi Brent Welke,

Thanks for your reply [post#1090],

I guess you are one of the few people who decided to build a D-I setup, good job! I am very curious about the results. If you use passive I/V and a OPA627 buffer, make sure NOT to invert D32, D40, D48 and D56, just connect all data lines directly to the appropriate timing-chain outputs. There is not much that can go wrong with logic chip's, just make sure the power supplies are connected correctly (polarity) and the voltages stay within specifications.

Since you mentioned the TDA1543 based D-I DAC, I have been developing the small single board D-I 16 core using 16 X TDA1543 and the new timing-chain. The PCB includes power supply regulators, D-I 16 timing-chain, UHS buffers, 16 X TDA1543 in a 4 X 4 matrix, I/V converters (AD843AR) and diff amps (OPA627), all this circuitry is squeezed on a 18.8 X 11.6 cm PCB. In fact this single DAC board is pin compatible with the larger octal D-I DAC core, and can replace the octal D-I DAC core if desired. It uses very little power (approx. 7 watts) and has a unbelievable performance, that comes very close to the octal D-I DAC core. Like the octal D-I DAC core it has a I2S input. It has a Virtual sample rate of 705.6 KHz, theoretical 20 bits and 256X resolution enhancement.

Because it's pin compatible with the octal D-I DAC core, it can be used just the same (with tube output, I2S selector and USB interface).

I added a silkscreen plot of the D-I 16 core, at the bottom is the timing-chain for 16 DAC chips and the UHS buffers. At the right, the 5 power supply stabilizers, in the center, the 4 X 4 TDA1543A matrix. The large space around the TDA1543's has two functions: spreading the dissipated heat more evenly and reducing crosstalk to a minimum. At the top are the OP-amp I/V converters and diff amps. Even the output attenuator (bypassable) is integrated. All chip's are placed on sockets for easy replacement / testing. Jumper JP1 toggles between single ended and balanced mode, so it's possible to use different types of output stages.

PCB routing is completed, but I still need to optimize traces, this might take a few more days as the PCB has to be routed manually.

As for the D-I 16 core power supply, it's a very small PCB with 2 encapsulated torroid transformers (7 watts and 12 watts). The following voltages are needed: +10V, +20V and -20V.

> The new timing-chain was developed to significantly reduce the amount of logic chips needed, this required the use of a PLD (PALCE16V8). It uses Philips format exclusively. Each application requires a slightly different setup, it depends upon the amount of DAC chips used in D-I mode and if a DEM sync clock is needed or not. For example the D-I 16 core needs no DEM sync clock, but needs addittional output signals.

Cheers,

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg di16silk.jpg (95.1 KB, 1409 views)
Old 8th November 2006, 09:06 PM   #1092
diyAudio Member

Default 100000 views!

Hi all,

Seems this thread has just passed 100000 views! so I want to thank you all very much for your feedback, support and (huge) compliments, it inspired me to design the "ultimate NOS DAC". The critics I received were used to constantly improve the DAC's performance, the (huge) compliments I received made me determined to design even better diy kits for you all.

I hope this thread will inspire you all.

Kind regards,

John
Old 8th November 2006, 10:20 PM   #1093
maxlorenz is offline maxlorenz  Chile
diyAudio Member

Congratulations John!

And, about your new TDA1543 DI-DAC:

Ah! wait and see what I will do with it...IF I can get enough DAC chips

For differential amps, have you seen the new dual opamp from National:

http://www.national.com/pf/LM/LM4562.html

And also:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...5&pagenumber=1

"Free" samples available.

Regards and keep the energy level high
M
Old 9th November 2006, 04:31 AM   #1094
tubee is offline tubee  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Yes congratulations too John.

All this great work in this thread has only one disadvantage: If someone wants to find older posts or schematics, he has to dig a while
Old 9th November 2006, 05:31 AM   #1095
a333bt is offline a333bt  Slovenia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by maxlorenz
Congratulations John!

For differential amps, have you seen the new dual opamp from National:

http://www.national.com/pf/LM/LM4562.html

And also:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...5&pagenumber=1

"Free" samples available.

M

Very nice, John!

Yes, your work is very inspiring.

I also buy CD player with CDM1 transport, to be more suited for DI octal DAC instead CD PRO2 with i have already.

I tested LM4562 in CD player CD304MKII.
Before i put double OPA627 and i can say here is much much better sounding. Much more everything: clear, details, musical...
Difference is not subtle at all.
LM4562 is in A-class (4.7k neg. supply to output).
Please try it. I got samples in 2 days. Paid only shipping.

regards, Bostjan
Old 9th November 2006, 06:28 AM   #1096
Brent Welke is offline Brent Welke  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default SMD logic tower is working !!!

Ok I have a working quad TDA1543 DI DAC now, thanks EC.

I am waiting for more TDA1543 chips and will add them to the DAC when they arrive next week to make it an octal DAC.

The DAC has only been running for 5 minutes so it is too soon to comment on how it sounds exactly. But it is not bad sounding I can tell you that much

Tomorrow I will post some pictures if the sun shines and I have a feeling it will.

Cheers,
Brent
Old 9th November 2006, 08:56 AM   #1097
MGH is offline MGH  United States
diyAudio Member

Kudos. We're all appreciative of your valiant efforts EC.
Old 9th November 2006, 03:49 PM   #1098
diyAudio Member

Default A glance at the D-I 16 core PCB design

Hi maxlorenz,

Thanks for the compliments [post #1093]

Before ordering huge amounts of TDA1543's, maybe it's wise to build the standard D-I 16 core first, then just listen to it. If you're not fully satisfied with the sound quality, then you might consider adding more DAC chip's or start modding.

The LM4562 looks very promising, most of the specifications seem to be similar to the OPA627. But the LM4562 is a dual op-amp and has a reasonable price, it's particulary suited for the I/V converter as the adapter socket (2 X SMD OPA627 > DIP8) is no longer needed. Seems this is the part I have been waiting for.

Then about the new TDA1543 D-I 16 DAC, I just completed optimizing the PCB design (I added a picture). The CAD program runs on a ancient operating system called DOS, anyway it has functioned flawlessly for over 19 years now. The layout shown is completely manually routed, trace by trace.

Cheers,

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg di16pcb.jpg (95.3 KB, 1318 views)
Old 9th November 2006, 04:27 PM   #1099
ErikdeBest is online now ErikdeBest  Switzerland
mostly thinkerer
diyAudio Member

Hi John

Prachtig! Incredible how you can do so much in few time! With all development of last months it is almost time for me to go visit you for another listening - and talking - section!

Good luck with further development

Erik
Old 9th November 2006, 08:51 PM   #1100
DragonMaster is offline DragonMaster  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi John,

I read about 10 pages but got bored(Understanding nothing). What is the final DAC including finally? (DEM, filters, reclocking, etc.)

Any ways we can learn how things work with digital audio? (I'm in my last year of high school, and I'm not sure where to go. No universities offer anything related to audio electronics, except telecommunications)

Building the ultimate NOS DAC using TDA1541AHide this!Advertise here!