Anyone mod SqueezeBox I2S output?

Having read many of these threads, I see that it is quite popular to use older CDPs as transports with the I2S, instead of SPDIF. Makes sense to me, of course. My question is whether anyone has tried to mod a SqueezeBox to make it output I2S. For example, maybe SqueezeBox I2S->DDDAC1543 would be a good combo? I'm using the SqueezeBox SPDIF output right now with a TDA1543 DAC, and it sounds fine, but maybe the I2S would improve the sound even further.

SB Receiver I2S audio performance test...

reply...better late than never ;-)

I have spend this winther designing a board for performance testing of the I2S audio output from the Squeezebox Receiver.

I have essentially made a replacement DAC using high-grade components.

See more here:

http://www.dxco.dk/SBRdac-index.html

http://www.dxco.dk/SBRdac-design.html

I have tested sonic audio quality with direct compare to a CD-drive from http://www.daisy-laser.com/ - supplier for many high-end hifi brands.

The initial conclusion is clear - the SBR is as good or better when it comes to sonic performance. Next step for me is to make some performance measurements using a audio analyzer.

Jonas / www.dxco.dk

Looks good - very good work - great to see so many people involved in building DIY DACs.

I have a small electronics company and with this I have access to cheap PCB fab and discount on components.

I could supply PCB and possible parts kits for interested builders, I think I can get PCB price below 8$.

I also have good deal on shipping charges.

This of course only with your approval.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Jonas

Hi all,

Alain, thank you for pointing my to this thread. I had the B24+Zapfilter and now the B32. I am not really happy with last and looking around for another DAC. Not that its bad, but i personally more like vinyl sound, then top-notch details. My i felt on this one DAC19MK3 with PCM1704. It don't have I2s input, but the Filterchip has. Maybe i'll buy it and see if i can inlject I2s from the SBR ;-)
(hmmm... i work with an old login, but i am Hans Satink)

Last edited:
Can I ask Hans, what audio clock(s) are used in the SBR? That was the last update you mentioned on AA.

If you don't like the B32, have you tried the Sabre ES9022 2 channel Vout DAC? Cost about $2. It might work out as a more vinyl like sound that you seemed to like from the on-board Wolfson DAC?

Hi all,

Alain, thank you for pointing my to this thread. I had the B24+Zapfilter and now the B32. I am not really happy with last and looking around for another DAC. Not that its bad, but i personally more like vinyl sound, then top-notch details. My i felt on this one DAC19MK3 with PCM1704. It don't have I2s input, but the Filterchip has. Maybe i'll buy it and see if i can inlject I2s from the SBR ;-)
(hmmm... i work with an old login, but i am Hans Satink)
Hi Hans,

Just saw that the RAKK DAC mk3 is out now. It has I2S input. Might be just what you are looking for.

RAKK DAC MK3