deq2496 and/or dcx2496

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A lot has been written about these unit but something is troubling me. Although the possibilities of tweaking are endless and really bang for you buck I am not sure about its 'high end' quality. I do own both and use them only digitally except for a modified AKM DAC output stage(original is crap!)on the dcx. I also have a nice analog active LR-filter with opa2134's. If I use a simple sony CD-player I find the analog way to have more fine-detail than the digital way with same cd-player(digital out).
Anybody else having this experience within a high-end system (scanspeak revelator and Aleph amps)?
I hear people saying there is no degrading in fine detail but their system isn't that fantastic so to speak...
Please share your experiences with me

Hello,

I've always used the digital in so can not compare.

In my opinion, the stock DCX output has a good sound but a bit metal like, not very natural. On the other hand, it acts has a sound precessor and a DAC, you can do a lot with it.

You can even tweak it if you're not satisfied with the sound.

I'm about to instal a new clock inside it (after having gone for passive outpu), I'll wait and hear, then :)

Hi,
I used a DCX for a short while, into Michell Alectos and Cyrus power feeding Acoustic Energy AE1s.

I felt the deep bass was down and it sounded like a treble filter was set to on. Not just fine detail missing.

I wondered if the active drive to the treble unit was suppressing a treble peak that otherwise would artificially raise the apparent treble output, but quite clearly all the sparkle and life was gone when active.

I will be using the DCX as a tool to design an analogue active filter for my speakers. Then I can compare performance and even think about mods to both input and output stages.

I'm using a DCX with the anologue input. When I first put it in circuit I was blown away with all the tweaks and sound shaping I could now do. Then when I got down to "normal" listening I was disappointed at how much detail was being compromised. After playing around with the options I now only use the DCX for eq'ing the bass up to 140Hz and tweeking the treble over 7KHz and using my main speaker direct not using the DCX. I know this isn't ideal but IMO using the DCX for the extremes is a decent compromise.

Ive decided not to mod the DCX yet as I have doubts whether I would use it to drive my main speakers as they sounds so good the DCX could only compromise the sound.

Kev

thanks for your answers.
I am particulary interested in loss of detail in the digital algorithms/hardware of the units (ofcourse in comparison with nice analog active filters), my analog stages are really fine now and the AKM DAC's are ok too.
So anyone using a modified dcx with or without a deq on a high end modern amp/speaker set?

aaronboumans said:
thanks for your answers.
I am particulary interested in loss of detail in the digital algorithms/hardware of the units (ofcourse in comparison with nice analog active filters), my analog stages are really fine now and the AKM DAC's are ok too.
So anyone using a modified dcx with or without a deq on a high end modern amp/speaker set?

Hi

Behringer offers lots of function for money, but soundwise they are not among worlds' best

Jitter and analogue output stage are the first 2 areas to concentrate on.

best

Hi Guido,
I agree, but I allready replaced the analog output stages so my main concern would be jitter. I have the feeling I will not get this right.... because somehow in the digital stage things are not getting any better.
I boroughed a nice sa7001KI sacd player and used this with my analog LR filter; really incredible, unbelieveble. So much more detail and dynamics. Maybe I should go this way and in order to flatten the room I SHOULD flatten the room, really dedicate the room for listening (I can do this:D ) Oh what a nice hobby.....:clown:

Re: 3 Areas

I agree about the PSU...

What Andrew T. said about the high pass filter is correct. THis hapens sometimes on my unit as well. I believe its the PLL on teh recieving chip that does this incorrectly. Someone has posted a fix on this issue by using a newer chip that also lets you use higher sampling rates 192 kHz i thought.

Look here for this and other mods.
http://freerider.dyndns.org/anlage/HiresAudio_E.htm

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.