Behringer DEQ2496, quick question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a Behringer DEQ2496 which feeds the DCX2496 from digital sources. My question is: Does the DEQ convert all digital input signals to 96 khz for processing? The I/O screen, page 1 shows Source:XLRIN, Locked:44.1 khz with a CD digital source. I have read that the DCX converts all digital input to 96 khz for processing. Does the DEQ do the same thing and send a 96 khz sample rate stream to the DCX digital input?

If there is no up conversion of the sample rate in the DEQ, would it be a good idea to use the SRC2496 between the CD and the DEQ for sample rate conversion?

I hear the difference between these sample rates, and generaly define it as:

44,1kHz: "looser" midrange, more spacious, and generaly a bit darker sound.
96kHz: tighter, homogeneous sound (a bit smoother)

It's a matter of preference, but I assume that the higher the sample rate you put into a processor such as this, the better.
However, most of the days I'm a 44,100 guy (-:

Try the difference with an optical output from a bit accurate soundcard, like the M-Audio Sonica.

However, if your source is good, it might be very well that you'll like its D/A output going to the DEQ's A/D, and leave the 96kHz sampling to the DEQ.
And yes, I know these are 2 "unnecessary" convertions, but I can't argue with what sound good to me (-:

Got an SRC2496 from ZZsounds.com. They had 20 in stock, so evidently the SRC2496 is available again. I think the sound is a little cleaner upsampling CDs to 96Khz prior to feeding the digital signal to the DEQ2496 - but it seems that the CD has to be well recorded in order to hear any difference. One that I think I can hear a difference on is "Hang on Little Tomato" by Pink Martini.

Thanks for the repies to my original post. Any further comments, maybe about recording quality?

-Larry

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.