DCX2496 Volume Control

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a question regarding volume control. I have been reading all about the DCX2496 and understand the problems with controlling the volume of the individual drivers in a 2 or 3 way system.

My question is this,,, could I use the left, right, and rear channel volume adjustments to even out the response of the individual drivers? This seems way too simple and probably has problems but I haven't seen anyone talk about it.

Hi,
the DCX2496 has six channels.
You can connect it to control a mono 6way active speaker all the way down to mono 4way.
or
two 3way active speakers
or
three 2way active speakers.
or
a whole series of other combinations as listed in the user's manual.
These can be downloaded from Behringer.

Each filter can be set up to filter, equalise and set sensitivity of each individual driver.

If your sensitivities are very mismatched you could do gross tailoring by changing the gains of the power amps and do fine adjustment in the DCX.

Does this address your question?

This does partially answer my question. Take for example a simple two way speaker using a tweet that has an efficiency of 93db and mid with an efficiency of 89.9db.

Now lets asume that this provides you with 4 rca outputs to be feed into the Panasonic. If you needed to take some energy out of the tweeter you could hook it up so that the Rear Left and Rear Right are pluged into the tweeter and then use the front/rear volume control to balance the tweeter to the mid. Once it is set you could then use the master volume control.

Does this make sense?

Yes what you are proposing -should- work. Beware that the processors have a limited adjustment range, though in real life it should be enough. (mine is +10 / -10dB for example.)

I have a dedicated processor, so I'm not sure whether the output level adjustment works when in '6 channel bypass' mode on combinded pre/pro's though. I think on the last yamaha receiver I had you could only adjust centre / left&right rears / sub. You can easily check if the level adjustments work by connecting a cd player to the rear inputs and playing a song in 6 channel bypass mode. Adjust the rear levels and hear whether the song gets quiter / louder.

If you can get close enough this way then a couple dB adjustment on the dcx really isn't going to hurt to fine tune.

Cheers,

Rob

Hi,
where did the Panasonic come from?
It's not mentioned in your first post.

If the Pan amp has individual controls for each channel and has similar maximum gain, then you should be able to use it as an adjustable power unit for each of your activated drivers. You only have 3.1db to lose (times 0.70).

My little experience of mass produced multichannel amps tells me the sound quality will more than likely be pretty poor.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.