Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th April 2006, 04:06 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

Why no XLR inputs??

Especially getting a custom product made for the DCX we should have XLR in/outs..

Maybe XLR input -> RCA + XLR output??

--Chris
Old 6th April 2006, 04:16 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

Well, of course one can wonder.

Let's say it's because the thing is not DCX-only oriented.

And because unbalanced setups are more common.

And because most home theater setups use unbalanced interconnects.

And also because balancing inputs and outputs adds more complexity if done properly - not speaking about transformers, only opamps, thus an increased cost / selling price.

And because in the end what's the point of using balanced inputs outputs in a domestic installation ?

It's always very difficult to please EVERYONE with ONE solution. Look at the K5600 for example...
Old 6th April 2006, 06:08 PM   #33
paulb is offline paulb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Thmartin
And because in the end what's the point of using balanced inputs outputs in a domestic installation ?
There are very sound reasons for using balanced interconnects as far along the signal chain as possible. There are lots of very high performance domestic installations out there...

Since this thread's all about the DCX2496, and trying to optimize its performance, I think the best solution would be based on the SSM2018. Balanced in, SE out would match most installations. Parts cost is relatively expensive but it should still be cheaper (excepting design labor) than the LM1973 kit. I've started the schematic for a board based on this but there are a lot of other projects in the queue ahead of it. When (/ if) I buy my DCX, I'll bump up its priority.
The other possibility is to use a small number of gain options after the DCX, say low / medium / high. Cheap version of a stepped attenuator. You would use this as a coarse volume setting, then use the DCX volume as a fine setting. Normally when I listen to music I keep it mostly the same for long periods.
Old 7th April 2006, 04:14 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

Hi all,

Pricing details are now available from here : Price and shipping cost

Refer to Selectronic for ordering information or alternatively use the link mentionned on my webpage.

Cheers

Thierry
Old 7th April 2006, 08:02 PM   #35
alexcd is offline alexcd  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to alexcd Send a message via Yahoo to alexcd
I still think a model with XLR Input is a must for everyone with a DCX2496. What's the concensus for XLR output needs? I know I would like to see it done.

BTW: I am working on this now.
Old 8th April 2006, 10:46 AM   #36
Avical is offline Avical  Australia
diyAudio Member

There is one very nice advantage to the Altronics K5600.

It is very easy to add another 6 channels by simply populating another input PCB and placing it next to the other one in the case.

In my case my Left, Center and Right speakers are Active 2 ways, I run 2 Subs, a Left Rear, Right Rear, Sourround Right, Sourround Left (All Passive crossovers). 12 Channels tracking required for this setup.

Aaron

Hide this!Advertise here!