Least expensive 6-channel volume control for DCX2496? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st February 2006, 07:52 PM   #21
sendler is offline sendler  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Six knobs that click

Six knobs that click aren't any harder to adjust than one knob. Click, click, click, click, click, click, vs. turn. The difference is about the same amount of time that it took to read that sentence. If you are going to give up remote control then the real consideration is walking over to the amps. After you are there, turning one knob or six is not that much different. Six knobs (or even three) that don't have matched steps would be very difficult to get repeatable settings, however. With the stepped attenuators it is easy to get any volume that you want and keep all of the channels perfectly matched. The real question is to remote or not to remote and comes down to how much emphasis is to be placed on sound quality vs. convenience. When the payoff is this great, I will chose sound quality every time.
Old 21st February 2006, 07:56 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Six knobs that click

Quote:
Originally posted by sendler
Six knobs that click aren't any harder to adjust than one knob. Click, click, click, click, click, click, vs. turn. The difference is about the same amount of time that it took to read that sentence. If you are going to give up remote control then the real consideration is walking over to the amps. After you are there, turning one knob or six is not that much different. Six knobs (or even three) that don't have matched steps would be very difficult to get repeatable settings, however. With the stepped attenuators it is easy to get any volume that you want and keep all of the channels perfectly matched. The real question is to remote or not to remote and comes down to how much emphasis is to be placed on sound quality vs. convenience. When the payoff is this great, I will chose sound quality every time.
Good point sendler, and like I said above, ganged pots might make it less than 6... I think it really comes down to how you listen to music.. If you are constantly adjusting the volume for each track then this may not be the best idea, but if you can set the volume once and leave it then passive attenuation is the best way to go...

--Chris
Old 21st February 2006, 08:00 PM   #23
tf1216 is offline tf1216  United States
diyAudio Member

Scott,

Could you please post a pic(s) of your system with the passive attneuators in use? I am a little confused on the exact setup but I love the idea of 3 in a box.

I am extremely interested in buying 5 and getting 1 free. Thanks!

It seems like this may be the best route for us guys who are using the DCX2496 for volume control.
Old 21st February 2006, 08:26 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tf1216
janneman:

Can you please elaborate more on the K5600? What do you think of the unit and its performance so far? How is it different than a Roland M1000?
[snip]

The K5600 is very easy to put together, couple of hours, worked from power up. I find it more neutral than using the DCX digital-domain level control, although it is not the worlds best preamp, obviously. But its pretty good. It can be used with almost any RC5 compatible remote so that is definitely a big plus for me.

Disadvantage of the K5600 is that you cannot set levels separate for each channel, its all or nothing. That said, it uses 3 LM1973's and the hardware setup is such that with a change in the software you can address each of the three channel pairs separately, which is what you probably would need for the DCX. It's on my list, I've done these things before (built & programmed a remote control PIC-driven preamp before) but I don't know when I will get the time.

Then again, for 200 aussi $, how can you lose? Buy it, try it and sell it for 130 if you don't like it anymore.

Jan Didden
Old 6th April 2006, 02:51 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Beside the K5600 there's another solution now 6 channel volume control .

This one offers separate adjustment on each of the 6 channels (+/6dB) in addition to the main volume setting.

I'm very happy with both of them.

Oh, by the way I have been fortunate enough as I've been offered the Selectronic as a gift

Thierry
Old 6th April 2006, 02:54 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Any idea where I could find one of those in the US? Also, any idea how much it costs?

Thanks!
Old 6th April 2006, 02:59 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Hi Mazeroth,

I've got the prototype (i.e. serial 00001)

First production run will probably be available at the end of april.

Price has still to be determined, I'll know it in the next few days.

Shipping cost to the US and form of payment are being defined by Selectronic (I advised them to used Paypal which is really smooth).

Alternatively : I'll be back to you here with the details, or you may enquire from the address I indicated on my web page.

Cheers

Thierry
Old 6th April 2006, 03:07 PM   #28
tf1216 is offline tf1216  United States
diyAudio Member

Are each channel adjustable +/- 3dB or +/- 6dB?

Just curious...
Old 6th April 2006, 03:09 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Very good question indeed. Let me check that, I'll be back here with an answer.

Cheers

Thierry
Old 6th April 2006, 04:05 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

It's definitely +/- 3dB, sorry for misleading you people.

Hide this!Advertise here!