Upgrading the Benchmark DAC 1?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: Re: Upgrading the Benchmark DAC 1?

Gasho said:

Benchmark DAC have it´s own limitations from the moment that design was put from circut and PCB design softweare to production, and limits are not represented by use of NE5532 OPs.

But in spite of that inferior design and layout it still performs better on the test bench than anything else around.

FTR the latest incarnation - DAC1 Pre does in fact use only LM4562 op-amps.

I did the aura cap on mine (with most of the other caps changed already) and in did remove one of the usual 'blankets' from the speakers. Use care when removing the smd caps, I got rid of some of the wires on the board as well,resulting silent canal for a moment until I found the problem using a loupe.

Thank you again for this thread. While following this thread I was also following the thread on the Dac Magic (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/142184-opening-new-dacmagic-9.html). The thread boils down to changes in the capacitors, power supply possibilities, and op amp upgrades. In summary I did the following changes:
• LME 49720 to replace the NE5532s
• OPA1612 to replace the OP275Gs
• ELNA caps for the coupling caps
• Add a tantalum capacitor on the 5v power supply
• Replace the 7805 regulator with a DEXA 70908

The op amps helped but the Dac Magic was still lacking in soundstage. Once I changed out the coupling caps and the 7805 the DAC was transformed. For the first time the wife factor used the word muddy and it was in reference to the Benchmark!! A $300 Dac Magic and less then $80 worth of parts put a Benchmark (in use for 9 months) to shame.

I then put the Aura Caps in the Benchmark and instantly the Benchmark was no longer muddy. The Dac Magic has more depth of soundstage but I think this is a bit artificial (using Kris Isaak San Francisco days). And this is from a device that hade little or no soundstage.

Thanks for both the improvements. The Benchmark is back on top with more neutrality but $400 is a lot better then $1400. Something to consider.

I use lead free solder which requires a a soldering iron capable of these changes. The reason I do so in that a couple years ago the European Union mandated that all electronic products sold in the EU must be made with lead free solder. I do not want to take a chance in mixing the two. My iron is a BlackJack SolderWerks BK3000LF with the lead free solder. I am sure you can use solder with lead if that is all you have.

I have newer had problem with mixing the two ( and still prefer the lead stuff ).

That aside, has anyone with the salas mod's compared it with some of the new higend stuff ? ( the real question is, can it be better than that or are we still in the high end are with this now rather old DAC )

Just made the first upgrade of my DAC1 HDR.
Changed all 78xx/79xx regulators to DEXA UWB types +/-15 V and +5V. They are not easy to mount but it is worth the trouble. I also mounted a 1000mF/35V cap on all 3 regulators.
Next upgrade will be a couple of Bybee purifiers on the analog output and digital input no. 2.

Regarding changing the digital input capasitor - I might have missed the information - but what value should the capasitor have ??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.