Da-capo issue (John W?)

Wish i could get hold of JW these days. Guess busy with mdac+ been trying to find out what pins are what and what input cards do what... I assume the input cards fore stuff to dac in i2s but not sure. Just wondered as seen an async usb to i2s device that accepts a word clock and wondered if I could doctor a clock lock card to pop out word clock and accept i2s input :)

Messaged him on skype too but no had a reply. And his inbox was full on pinkfish.

That's what I was thinking so it may be possible to send the clock into the async usb > i2s device that accepts a master clock input including speed clock lock card uses. And send its output to the i2s pin where connector on card is...

Just wanted to be sure which pins and if theoretically it should work.

Cool... Yeah sure I can trace it... Just hoped could get confirmation it should work before any hacking. Not got it yet working on a swap deal. So should end up with cardinal, da-capo and a spare cardinal that has been poorly which I plan on building a vortexbox into and hoped a async usb to i2s with a clock input which accepts speed da-capo outputs may allow me to get benefits of clock lock for vortexbox as well.

Looking forward to it. Been a while since my da-capo, dc and cardinal were moved on :)

The Dacapo only works correctly with 44.1 KHz source – so pay attention when using your DVD player – Most DVD players output 48 KHz while playing DVD’s.
John W

With my re-acquisition of a da-capo. I was playing with my vortexbox. As expected 24/192 and 24/96 just make an internal relay go click and sound goes off. Gonna limit max output to 48 or 44.1 in command line after listening to both and see which is better.

However going through some music I realised I was playing some dire straights which was 16/48khz abd it was playing without a single issue (on the 24/20 filter till I track an HDCD one).

So what was 48khz issue?

I'll verify vortexbox isn't downsampling but if its outputting 24/96 and 24/192 correctly cant see why it would.

Just surprised it sounded so good and worke without issue as was expecting it to either sound distorted somehow or not work at all. Anyone else tried 48 and heard no issue or had it hooked up to a DAT?

Cheers

John

PS on hunt for hdcd filter and optical input card.

Last edited:
Looks like m2tech evo2 is what i am after.

It's a good quality async usb to spdif and i2s converter however it has a BNC clock input (which accepts word and master clocks including 128fs).

So looks like the evo2 will clock lock to da-capo and connect to pc with async. Will update when I obtain one and try it :)

John

PS does anyone know what output stage device da-capo use and what JW replaced them with when he upgraded them?

OPA604 op-amp for each channel on the one I worked on. There is no resistor after the op-amps, they go straight out the back, so that that into account when chip rolling. Also, to miss out all the copper track and terrible sounding RCA sockets, it's worth direct wiring from the op-amps either to new RCA sockets, or direct out of the box to your pre-amp input. There are muting relays that short the signal to earth, I left those tracked to the op-amps.

I added back diodes across the regulators and a bank of caps on the +5V's just before the DAC can. Comprised of 2 x 820uF Nichicon polymer and a 220uF Black Gate N, all in parallel. One set for each channel. Made a LOT of difference. Clarity, dynamics, bass.

Also added 4 large Polymers across the analogue stage supply's normal El.caps just after the diode bridges where there were spaces on the board. Also on the digital supplies. All were worth doing.

Attachments

• IMGP1235.jpg
    IMGP1235.jpg
    595.1 KB · Views: 168
  • IMGP1234.jpg
    IMGP1234.jpg
    688.2 KB · Views: 164
  • IMGP1100.jpg
    IMGP1100.jpg
    633.2 KB · Views: 160
  • IMGP1101.jpg
    IMGP1101.jpg
    552 KB · Views: 144
  • IMGP1108.jpg
    IMGP1108.jpg
    650.1 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
Dc anyone got pics of batteries in it...

Remember in mine arrangement was diff to one I just got and wasnt sure what was correct. Seem to remember I had combination of larger and smaller for each bank (also seen it done with all small (double small where I had a large) but new one seems to have all large cells and wasn't sure if voltage would add up the same with all large.

Any pics of insode dc's or what battery v was in each bank that would be great :)

Looks like new batteries in order.

Will test with voltmeter hut tries to go to batteries when you switch to input that shows a signal. And switches back after 5 secs. Won't go back to battery manually. If you try next day it will switch for 5 secs again.

Works fine in mains mode.

Anyway will take opportunity to switch back to 4x12v and 4x6v as the size and style i originally had allows me to buy 7ah (or above) cells rather than the 2ah of originals. So much longer pure battery sessions. Otherwise seems good. Looks like caps are marked FM and others marked elna.

Also got hdcd filter sans chip (bit got pmd100 from hong kong for $40 delivered) 3 caps were changed on filter as well.

Not sure what caps are in da-capo but will look when I swap internals into a immaculate da-capo case. Least all were changed a fair time back.

Cardinal has been sourced and that deal should conclude next.

Then its onto building my clock locked bit perfect rip-replay vortexbox/daphile system in cardinal/da-capo case.

Cant wait to test hdcd as to my ears, on current revealing system, isn't all that impressive find HF doesnt sound as good as it should and bass is a little less defined and tiny bit confused. Will report back when hdcd tested :)