Da-capo issue (John W?) - Page 32 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th June 2008, 12:47 AM   #311
diyAudio Member

Hi Rasp, i think if you read widely on DIY sites the low esr panasonics are probably a safe bet, cheap and readily available especially through RS components. I have used various versions of these often with a similar outcome. In my experience (which is not extensive)they add a slight but very pleasing tonal warmth to the sound and usually you notice the bass lines sounding more potent. They remain relatively transparent and do not lose pace and timing. However, IMO the pleasing tonal warmth that they do add rarely detract from the original message and in my opinion tend to enhance it. But they are not in the same league as Black gates or cerafines in terms of extracting those extra fine details which add to the complex harmonic structures of notes which in turn gives you that spine tingling feeling of 'presence'.

Luke
Old 27th June 2008, 12:50 AM   #312
diyAudio Member

Come on John you owe it to your 'fans ' please give us an update we are all drooling with anticipation
Old 29th June 2008, 12:04 AM   #313
diyAudio Member

I agree...we are desperate...

I have just as well exchanged the lytics in my dacapo. With a mixture of Pnasonic FC and Cerafines- The resokution is breathtaking. It still sound a bit metallic though, but the cerafines normally need weeks to break in, so let's wait for 2 weeks and than do some serios listening...

I have an Accuphase DC801 here...the dacapo indeed wipes the floor with it....when was this thing designed ? 1991 ?
Old 29th June 2008, 12:18 PM   #314
rasp is offline rasp  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

luke

thanks for the advice! panasonics may be the way to go for me!

frank
Old 29th June 2008, 12:20 PM   #315
diyAudio Member

blitz

i am going to change the caps in my da capo very shortly and wondered if you could give me an update on the sound of yours over the coming weeks. i think i am going to get hold of some panasonics too. if you don't mind me asking, where did you get hold of the cerafines?

frank
Old 29th June 2008, 12:38 PM   #316
diyAudio Member

The cerafines I used are widely avialble. These are the 1000uF/25V Types. See http://www.audio-cube.nl/ for example. I just had only 8 pieces here at home. If I would have had more of them, I would use them exclusivly as mixing caps is not always a great idea. So, If I would be you, I would order 16 or 18 of these and forget the Panasonics. The price you have to pay is that you leave the DAC always on...the cerafines need this to sound really good (as the blackgates)
Old 29th June 2008, 01:23 PM   #317
diyAudio Member

blitz

sorry if this is a stupid question but the caps inside my dac say 2200uf 25v. does it not matter, therefore if they are replaced by 1000uf ones like you have. also how important is the voltage as i have seen someone selling a batch of 2200uf 16v cerafines???

thanks in advance, i am not very technically knowledgable

frank
Old 29th June 2008, 01:34 PM   #318
diyAudio Member

blitz

thanks for the link by the way! why does everyone talk about the cerafines and not the silmic caps, is it because they are more expensive?

thanks

frank
Old 29th June 2008, 02:07 PM   #319
diyAudio Member

No, you could try them of course as well...but I think they are bigger and would not really fit...
Old 29th June 2008, 03:40 PM   #320
diyAudio Member

sorry to bother you again blitz, did you see my post above the last one, any info would be much apreciated!

frank

Hide this!Advertise here!