Da-capo issue (John W?)

PT Cordinal Problem

Hello John

I am a new member and saw this wonderful thread which is very useful. I recently bought a used PT Cordinal with a 24 Bit filter and have been reasonably impressed with the sound quality so sold my Naim CDi.

Recently I hear a ticking noise when loading a CD or powering up, sometimes the CD is not read at at all so DISK sign lights up. If I try eject and close tray a few times the ticking noise eventually stops after 12 seconds and the CD is playable.

I took the lid off the Cordinal and noticed that there is a medium sized white nylon cog connected to the laser transport and this is making the ticking noise.

Any help/advice would be appreciated as I would like to keep this machine for some time as a lack of space will not allow me to set up my turntable just yet.

Regards
Jagtar

PT Cordinal Problem

P.S. I forgot to say that I have just bought a used PT Cardinal Transport and a DaCapo with 22 bit filter but the DaCapo does seem not working at the moment although it was sold with just the right channel being down.

I will be testing it thoroughly with a different set of leads soon but I am hoping someone nearby in London might be able to help?

I sure look forward to a newly designed DaCapo from you John, please do keep us informed of progress. I would be keen to try the new boards in the existing DaCapo case if possible.

Regards
Jagtar

> I presume then that we shall see the Mephisto range appear
> sometime this year (keep visiting the Lake West website expecting
> to see something new on there ),

Hi, new here, and i searched here first before asking but didn't find anything...

where is this 'Lake West' website? I too am interested in John's new stuff. I've been a happy user of a Discmagic with a Dacmagic s700 until recently (the Discmagic has stopped working*), so i might like to replace them with something new.

(*the Discmagic has started clicking/rattling when trying to read a cd. The problem came on gradually -- at first it would read the disc for a while, then start rattling and skipping after it had been on a while, maybe something getting warmed up. Then i found that it only did it on track 1, and i could skip to track 2 and play the rest of the CD fine. But now it does it all the time, and won't play anything. Anyone have any ideas what's up?)

mjm666,
three years ago I had a similar Diskmagic problem. When all hope is gone for the unit you might try this: I opened the case and physically moved the read head a few millimeters. This was probably a pain for some small plastic cogwheels. Anyway, once powered, the player re-centered (or re-whatever...) the head and my player started reading all CDs again. / BR Tomas F.

mjm666 said:
> I presume then that we shall see the Mephisto range appear
> sometime this year (keep visiting the Lake West website expecting
> to see something new on there ),

(*the Discmagic has started clicking/rattling when trying to read a cd. The problem came on gradually -- at first it would read the disc for a while, then start rattling and skipping after it had been on a while, maybe something getting warmed up. Then i found that it only did it on track 1, and i could skip to track 2 and play the rest of the CD fine. But now it does it all the time, and won't play anything. Anyone have any ideas what's up?)

Hi

I have made some calls to find out if anything can be done to repairmy Pink Triangle Cordinal CD player as it has this very same issue which is a real PIA.

I have been told by various people that the laser mechanism needs to be replaced and managed to source the Sanyo SF-91 5/6 pin laser from Ireland. This is supposed to be the correct laser for my PT Cordinal and hope top buy a couple of them to be safe in case 1 dies again in the future.

I would appreciate any help in installing the new laser head/mechanism so if anyone is listening, HELP. Especially the great designer himself.

Also on one of these threads (might have been on the DaCapo) I saw that someone had a Pink Triangle DaCapo 2 CD player from around 2004. Well if anyone has one and wants to sell it let me know as I have the matching PT Integral amplifier and very happy with it.

Cheersjavascript:smilie(':smash:')javascript:smilie(':bigeyes:')
Jagtar

Da Capo

Hi John (W),
last year you sent the picture of your dog with my Dacapo board,
now I send the picture of my cat on the empty Dacapo case.....
:)

Attachments

• dacapocat.jpg
    dacapocat.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 648
biovizier said:
Hi,

I have the dacapo II. I may sell at some point in the future. However they are ultra rare, I beleive less than 10 were ever made and the sound is far better than the original dacapo dc 24 bit I had before, so the price would be high.

Regards,

Nick

:smash: Hi Nick

Thanks, I will be interested in the DaCapo 11 if you are selling it sometime in the future.

I am just so tired of trying unsuccessfully to get my PT Ordinal laser repaired or replaced and my PT DaCapo Mk1 repaired with 1 channel down. I have no idea as to when John Westlake will be releasing and selling the new DaCapo etc but I really could do with something that works sooner.

I have a wonderful Voyd 0.5 turntable I was going to set up with a good tonearm and MC cartridge but had to stop because my son has been diagnosed with Autism. I think it may be too risky in case he has 1 big tantrum too many etc and damage the catridge or tonearm.

This is why I think a decent analogue sounding CD player will be more practical particularly placed high up on a wall shelf. So please do let me know as it will match mt Pink Triangle Integral amplifier which has combined functions on the remote for both items. The Integral amp is wonderful sounding and certainly sounds much more musical and 3 dimensional than the Naim 135's and NAC 52 etc I used to have.

Cheers
Jagtar

Hi, I am a newbie here. So glad I found people who like myself, love the Da Capo Dac. Some may disagree, to me, it is the closest a CD sounded like vinyl with the warmth and smoothness. I hope I haven't offended anyone with this statement.

My dac hasn't been used for a number of years now so naturally something wasn't right. If any forumners know of how to contact John W, I would really really appreciate that you can pass me his contacts. Thanks in advance!

In the meantime, enjoy the Da Capo, the best there is and the best there ever will be.

Cheers,
Nelly from Oz

new dac

JohnW said:

But on the more positive note we have just issued to production the "Mini DAC" which will proceed the Gen 2 Dacapo - while its not as advance as the Dacapo - it will still be one of the VERY best DAC's at any price - easily out performing the original Dacapo.

USB to 96 KHz / 24Bits

SPDIF to 192 KHz via Optical, Coax or AES.

Balanced and Singled- Ended outputs

27 regulated supplies

Discrete Class A outputs

HQ Discrete Headphone output

Very Low Phase Noise Master clock

Organic Low ESR capacitors

Remote Control & LCD display

4 layer PCB

I really believe that the DAC will be ground breaking – nothing will compete anywhere near its price point – I was recently challenged by another manufacturer in a different forum – and I guess this will be my response ;) unfortunately I guess he never got to see the GBP129 DacMagic - mark my words, this will be double in price - but in a completely different performance league...

More information and pictures once the first units arrive from production.

JohnW

Is there any new about this?

:smash: :smash:

I have an Ordinal, of which I have had many years of excellent service, but always wanted to upgrade the filter module. It currently has the 18 bit module with SAA7350 & YM3414 chipsets, but would like something better. Any news on replacement filter modules from John yet ?

Also, going back to the capacitor issue, mine were replaced very early into ownership with 105C temperature rated versions under warranty.