Da-capo issue (John W?)

IS THIS DA CAPO DEFINITELY DEAD?

1) John Westlake, I have this Dacapo. It doesn't work. I bought it for the HDCD filter inside. Before I try to repair it I'd like to know if this board can be repaired or if it's a waste of time.( btw this Dacapo was "checked by JW" :) In case I can't fix it I'm looking forward the new SuperDacapo board...
2) The HDCD filter has to be wired to the Dacapo. My Ordinal ( I have these beast too:) hasn't this wire or dip switches. Will it configure automatically?
3) John ( mr-mac), you started this thread talking about pink/white noise fro your dac. Did you fix the problem or did you get a new Dacapo?
4) Has anyone the instructions for the Cardinal, Ordinal or filters? I have the Dacapo manual and I can send a scan if you ask me ( it's not that you need it...:)
2) I have a Cardinal, it's one of the last that left Pink Triangle because it's marked 2k03, so I guess it's a 2003 transport and it has not nippon-chemicon caps ( or they have been changed by the owner) , but Philips ones. I couldn't see what kind of transport is inside, I don't want to dismantle a well working Cardinal....Anyway it reads cdr.

Thanx to all
Loris

Attachments

• dacapo.jpg
    dacapo.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 911
Loris.P,

Wow!!! thats the worst PCB damaged I've yet seen!!!

There should be no reason why it could not be repaired - just will not be tidy - but if done well, will not effect audio quality.

I've never seen an ordinal without jumpers - I dont believe PT redesigned the product after I left... but who knows...

The jumpers (x3) should be located just below the CS8412.

Its not auto config...

Bad news about the philips caps - Philips "badged" Nippon Chemicon Caps - they are the same - just with light blue outer sleeve.

Peter, you will need an new laser head - little point trying to adjust the pots, I can Email a service manual for a Cambridge Audio CD6 that uses the same circuit (different PCB design) for its servo board if it would help - you could also buy the new Laser from Cambridge - was used in there CD4 (standard version, NOT CD4SE) CDT & CD6,

Alistair P,

You can use the input cards in both Ordinal & Dacapo - they are the same.

John

Input from a range of sources

John W. Thanks for the comment: I will swap them over - and useful to know of the laser replacement.

I recognised the capacitor damage image as soon as I saw it.

I thought of replacing all my electrostatic capacitors (and a I count
44 at 2200uF 25 V and 12 at 2200uF 35 V) with Rubicon.
Has anybody got a comment or better suggestion? I could not find Black Gate of the appropriate rating.

There seem to be some trade in damaged PT diigital equipment:
any body know of a PT Pip damaged?

Greetings

Alistair p.:)

Da capo 24 bit

Hello there

I am so happy to have stumbled across this site. I have a da capo which I bought 2nd hand approximately 5 years ago and have cherished ever since. My friend had been listening to mine over some time and appreciated its qualities to such an extent that he
also bought one. Mine came with a 24 bit filter and as this was the one that he had become accustomed to he waited until he found one on the market with the same. Something is perplexing us, however, and I wondered if anyone was able to shed any light on the matter. Basically our machines are identical in every way and the filters both have stickers on saying ‘20 – 24 bit’ on them (actually it may be the other way round, I can’t quite remember) but they are both 24 bit as far as we know. However his differs to mine in the way it sounds. Mine is slightly crisper and has less bass extension whereas his sounds warmer, slightly punchier and definitely has a bit more extension in the bass. Does anyone know why? It seems that the general consensus on this thread is that the HDCD filter sounds best, then the 22 bit and then the 24 bit. I wondered if there was a later version of the 24 bit filter, however, and it may be this that my friend has, the difference in sound is quite noticeable. In fact I heard a da capo with an HDCD filter and it sounds closer in sound to this than to my 24 bit. Any info would be very welcome as I would like to get hold of a similar filter, but as I said before they appear to be both 24 bit. One last thing to mention is that it is definitely the filters which are altering the sound as we have swapped them between our two dacs with the same resulting differences being heard and it cannot be an HDCD filter with the wrong sticker on it as it doesn’t decode HDCDs. Also, why is the 22 bit filter deemed better than the 24 bit?

Filters

Thanks for the advice.

I bought 50 capacitors to change them all on my da Capo and battery power supply.
Should I try to match them before they are swapped over?
Any suggestions as to what batteries I should use?

Then I thought I could experiment with some students on the interesting filter question.
Surely if you (the experimenter) know what filter you have installed you are biased in evaluating the effect?
Indeed do I have to use a range of music styles?

I have accumulated the 22-bit, the 20-24 and the HD filters.
So I have a starting point....

Alistair p.

is this dacapo dead 2

well, at last I managed to repair the tracks and change all the caps of the
"worst PCB damaged I've yet seen!!!"....:)
( acually a very kind french friend of mine did the job.
I don't mention him because I don't wanna give him too much job....:) )
but my dacapo still has no output.
I tryed to swap the input module with another one but it's the same.
The "signal" light is sadly off.
I tried to change input module to input2... but nothing.
I tried to put the jumpers wrong, just to hear is some sort of
noise comes out but nothing...:(
I can raise the amp to the maximum but not a hiss.
Now I'm trying tho leave the dacapo on for one night,
just to see if something happens.
Any suggestion on what to check?
Loris

Hi guys,

I'm very sorry for not posting - I'm working 17 hour days, and still late on everything!

I will be back in Europe from 5 April so can spend sometime replying.

Sorry for the delay.

loris.p,

If you want you can ship your Dacapo board to be while I'm in Europe, and I will take a look at it FOC.

John

dacapo upgrades

Wow - what an interesting thread I've just stumbled on here!
I'm not much of a DIY'er or techie but I'm a huge fan of the DaCapo.

Got mine in 1995 through a friend of Arthur and Neil at PT and I have amassed a selection of filters - 1307, 24bit, and HDCD - of which my personal favourite is the 24bit. I sold the 22bit a few years back after hearing the 24, but I suspect my choice of filter is largely a reflection on the rest of the system - so no offence John W!

I've often yearned for optical inputs and the ability to connect other (48khz) equipment - little did I know that this was also being considered by the great man himself...

Now for my questions:

1) Eternally optimistic, but at the same time conscious that I may have missed the boat here, did anything ever come of John W's plans for producing an upgrade? Reading through, things seem to have gone quiet on this recently. If anything is still in the pipeline I would be *very* interested in hearing more and being added to any mailing list - even if it was just for some optical inputs, but also if it were a more substantial upgrade.

2) Second, a leaking Caps question: Could someone possibly describe what the problematic Nippon Chemi-Con ones look like, or provide any distinctive markings I should be looking for? The Caps on my board are brown, but have no obvious manufacturer name on them.

The thing is, my DaCapo has been back a couple of times for repair over the years, and I have a suspicion that the chap who did the repairs (Dennis?) may have replaced these already. I certainly remember him saying he'd replaced some component(s) or other as a precaution on one of my visits - but the details washed over me at the time. I've closely examined both sides of the PCB and I don't see any signs of a problem.

Thanks for listening, and for any replies
- Tim