Da-capo issue (John W?)

John, I am in no rush at all and being you are doing us a massive favour I am very happy to wait for the input card and just sort everything together.

I am about to get someone (may have a go myself) to change the 12 capacitors on the DC PSU card (the card that sits inside the Da-Capo in place of the AC PSU and has the two extrnal connectors to allow connection of the DC unit). As these are the only caps starting to show small signs of damage I need to get them done asap. Obviously they will all be PSU lines running through these caps and wondered if you could recommend the best caps (make/model) to use in place of these 12

Hope your amp/transport project is trundling along nicely. Was wondring if/when we would likely see them winging their way for a review at Hi-Fi World?

Alistair, TBH we are not too far apart so I could always drop my HDCD filter round once I have compared to the new filter so you can do the same...

Also worth bearing in mind the new double width input card (with optical, optical clock lock & coax digital) and the new filter will actually work in either the Da-capo or the ordinal.

The company who do the Thrichord clock upgrades have repaired a few Da-Capo's and Cardinals (from leaky caps with circuit damage) they won't know how much it will cost until they see extent of damage but if you want a quicker repair then it may be worth contacting them via email (I can look out address at work on monday if you want).

John

Progress

John

That sounds really helpful.

I have a PT Too that is playing up too so I am feeling a bit besieged. Both analogue and digital have left me in the lurch.

I thought I would send the da Capo to China and change the filter when it is there.
As you say I could pass by Dunfermline and try your HDCD.
That would give me great pleasure!

I think (not sure) I have the 18, 1307 and 20 bit filters.

Is it worth sendng the Ordinal to Trichord for a repair?
It would keep me going while I wait....

I will email John W for an address.

I appreciate your advice.

Thanks

Alistair

If you are going to send ordinal to trichord I would just send da-capo instead. I would guess postage to HK and back will be expensive (though not 100% on what it would cost). And of course not sure what trichord would charge for repair.

My Mum lives in erskine so I pop past you fairly often so no probs to drop off filter and collect a month later. (once you have a working da-capo).

John

PS oooh PTtoo Im after one of them (seems we are both PT fans then)

Floor before music

John

Alison says the hardwood floor has to be laid before I get to play my system.

I think I will ship the da Capo and wait,

Did you ever try a PIP?

I will let you know when I can take up a HDCD offer but does not the new board replace the existing filter?

Take care

Alistair

yep but the HDCD is supposed to be the best of the old filters so it was for comparison purposes.

No never heard a PIP though I want to get hold of a PIP2 with battery PSU as they were supposed to be pretty special and I seem to like the PT sound in their other products.

John

nah didn't try it (too expensive for me when it came out and still a little rich in the s/h market)...

Would like a PIP2 as they were supposed to be unbeliveablly clean and neutral with a super quality phono stage and I plan to run it into a good valve power amp. When I find one at the right price (like to get things cheap when I can).

John

ORDINAL

Hi all,
seems there's another PT fan here: me.....
I have a LITTLE PINK THING turntable, ( with the usual speed problems)
and an ORDINAL with a 1307 filter module.
The ordinal shares the same NIPPON CHEMI-CON caps leacking ecc....
so I'm very curious about the risult of the repairs at Trichord.
Have you any further information about the new Westlake's filter module?
Any idea of the price?
Thanx
Loris

ordinal

well i opened my ordinal, I removed the pcb, but I can't see signs of leaking electrolyte.... maybe I'm lucky:)
1 question:
when you talk about dip switches of the filter module do you mean the switches that are inside the module?
I have the 1308 filter and it has 4 switches, not 3....
Loris

I haven't had the work done with trichord's people, neither has anyone else on here as far as I am aware. I was only mentioning that from a prev inquiry that I knew the people trichord use to do the work have repaired other PT cardinal, da-capo & ordinal units before so are familiar with the components.

No I don't have an idea of the price of the new filters and Input card, I asked John to email me an idea but as yet am not 100% sure.

It's the little dip switches (can't remember where they were located as it's been a while since I was inside my da-capo). I'll check next time I have 20min to open it.

The caps tend to leak directly underneath and as they are very close to the circuit board it would be almost impossible to see the damage until you take them off.... All of them do leak eventually so I would rather recommend you have them replaced before the unit dies (as the more the circuit damage the more it will cost to repair).

If you want I will try and find the email address of the people who do repair & clock fitting work for trichord and you can contact them to get an idea of price.

John

I was waiting for John W. to email too,
but if you thought the Trichord people
might be interested in having a go?

Still we all have computer problems!

Are all da Capos the same or do they go
in series (Mk1 etc)?
Can I make one good one out of two
damaged?

Sounds like it is worth a try....

Thanks

Alistair :confused:

Lots of parts but where?

Hi

I had the car MOT'd last week and the mechanic agreed another year, spared to indulge my cult in PTs.
Why change something when you like it and you can
get second hand spare parts to keep it going???

I have had a lot of pleasure from the Cardinal and hope
to again when the floor gets laid. I have the foundations
of a great piece of British audio history so I want to build
upon it....

Or perhaps I just do not want to change..

Thanks

Alistair p.

well I contacted Trichord and they answered:

Yes, I have recently carried out this job on an Ordinal.

Many of the caps that I took out were leaking.

I have replaced them with Rubycon ZLH 2200uF @ 25V.

These are a much better cap and suitable for audiophile equipment.

I can supply these to you for £3.50 each plus carriage.

Please let me know if you wish to proceed.

I will buy the caps and then I'll do the job or I will let some
expert friend to do the job for me.
Loris

Dacapo Filter Update

Just a brief update.

The new filter module has been tested and is working well - at least the "Filter section" works well. We still need to work on the modulator - or rather the FPGA internal "connection" between the output of the Digital filter & the Modulator section.

Currently the output word length from or filter is 60bits+, and this was fed un-truncated directly into our 5th order modulator. However during listening sessions between our modulator and the Philips SAA7350 - the 7350 won hands down.

The input to the 7350 is truncated to 20Bits (from the output 60Bits+ of the filter) - so we are trying to understand why truncation of more then 40bits input to 7350 sounds better then full 60Bits+ resolution input to our modulator.....

We believe that its has to do with the dithering applied internally to the INPUT of the 7350 - which despite high levels of DC & AC dither suffers terribly from idle tones and the such like.

We believe we now have a better understanding of the problems, and are coding the latest firmware update for the modules FPGA’s – well hopefully get a chance this week to listen to the latest modulator dithering….

More importantly, the update will now consist of a whole new Mainboard – replacing Dacapo’s motherboard and digital filter arrangement…. Once again this will be sold at cost – and is more of a R&D project then any commercial interests… So don’t spend money changing the Dacapo leaky Capacitors – there well be a whole new board available soon.

John

Heres a Pic. of the new filter PCB (not enclosed in its RF screening Tin), also new discrete Opamp circuits (the 2x small PCB's on the left).

John

Attachments

• dacapo filter & opamp1.jpg
    dacapo filter & opamp1.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 927