DBX Driverack PA vs. Behringer DCX2496 ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This question has probably been asked before, but which unit is better a DBX-PA or the DCX2496 for someone just starting to delve into active crossovers ?

I am very close to buying either one of these active crossover/EQ units to use with my quad-amped Edgar Horns + Raven R-2 ribbons or my ER Audio ESL-3 electrostats + Focal 11K7511 subs(hyper detailed set-up).

I'm aware that the DCX2496 provides slopes up to 48dB, whereas the DBX only to 24dB. Also, that the DCX2496 is cheaper (an advantage), but that the DBX may be more transparent and gets out of the way of the signal better. The auto EQ room correction function on the DBX sounds attractive too.

Furthermore, are the more expensive DBX units the 260/48x/480/482 worth the extra $$$$ ? I am looking for long term satisfaction, so may spend the extra dollars.

Sorry to ask so many questions ...

Regards,

Steve M.

Attachments

• multiple speakers.jpg
    multiple speakers.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 860
Steve M said:
This question has probably been asked before, but which unit is better a DBX-PA or the DCX2496 for someone just starting to delve into active crossovers ?

I am very close to buying either one of these active crossover/EQ units to use with my quad-amped Edgar Horns + Raven R-2 ribbons or my ER Audio ESL-3 electrostats + Focal 11K7511 subs(hyper detailed set-up).

I'm aware that the DCX2496 provides slopes up to 48dB, whereas the DBX only to 24dB. Also, that the DCX2496 is cheaper (an advantage), but that the DBX may be more transparent and gets out of the way of the signal better. The auto EQ room correction function on the DBX sounds attractive too.

Furthermore, are the more expensive DBX units the 260/48x/480/482 worth the extra $$$$ ? I am looking for long term satisfaction, so may spend the extra dollars.

Sorry to ask so many questions ...

Regards,

Steve M.

I don't own either unit, but from what I've read and if budget were no issue I'd go with the dbx - more functional, versatile, sophisticated, & higher build & sound quality. I would love to have the room correction feature of the dbx, and for "long term satisfaction" it's the best bet. Just my personal pick.

Yeah - that doesn't add up - literally. Since the # of inputs/outputs is a top priority for you, you're getting way more bang for your buck with the Behringer.

Earlier I said I'd go with the dbx if money were not the issue, but it would become an issue for that particular requirement - diminishing returns.

Sure do like the look of those dbx units though...

It has parametric EQ which you can use for speaker and/or room correction, but you have to enter adjustment parameters manually.

Also depending on how much EQ filters you need and the number/slopes of XO's, you may run out of DSP resources.

You can download the s/w and add filters and XO's and see how much they consume.

the behringer deq can do auto room correction but keep in mind that it is not in real time, it's just an auto eq

im not by any means an audiophile, so take what I say as a grain of salt. But, I can't hear anything wrong with my dcx, except for a low amount of hiss on my tweeters (it's probably due to my low power amp and some gain issues) Other than that, it's a great unit with lots of flexibility. If you want to go 4 way stereo, just buy 2.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.