Behringer SRC2496 mods

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I just got a new toy...:D
Here is what you get;

Arne K

Attachments

• img_2243x.jpg
    img_2243x.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 5,575
I've had a play with this unit, and do the following

SRC mods.......

damped the case and lid with bitumen sheet.
replaced the rectifier diodes with 11DQ10's
replaced all the 10uf caps arround the regulators with starget of the same value.
replaced the 1000uf with 1200uf pana fc's and bypassed with wima film caps.
replaced the 47uf coupling caps with 2.2uf pio's

The main sonic gains were from the psu mods.....deep bass and sweater treble. The bass is now so deep that pictures in adjoining rooms now resonate/rattle .... took me a while to find what was playing along !

and it trounced a benchmark dac1 ..... in the dac1 owners opinion! so much so that he is seriously thinking of selling the dac1.

The dac 1 sounded shut in and nasal in comparison to the modded src regardless of the settings on it. In fact the dac1 owner said he thought the src was stunning in standard 44.1kh to 44.1kh .....when upsampled to 96kh all the instraments were give air and space and varrious musical threads could be easily followed.

must try the decoupling cap on the dac chip.

Hi all,

I had a TDA1541 DAC which is faulty Now, So I'm looking from some other DAC solutions (DIY or Tweak).
SRC2496 seems interesting despite of its "old aspect". But I can't find large PCB photos or schematic (hard to get from behringer I read).

So is there anyone who has large board picture ?

It is to verify if it could be possible (mainly space ??? ) to directly take the balanced output from the AKM4393 and add an LPF (bypassing the output stage)

I read elsewhere that the board is only layer ? Am I right too?

thanks

there's loads of space in the case .....

yes I've taken the unbalanced signal from the opamp after the dac via large pio caps ....this improves the sound lifting to a higher level. [my preamp doesn't have balanced inputs ] So I felt there was no need to run the signal through the extra stages.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.