Behringer SRC2496 mods

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I have looked over various I/V stages with tubes posted here on the forum

What have I/V stages to do with the AK4393? It is voltage output.

Sure, I can be wrong. I did listen to one of those DAC's with tubes (eBay one) and it didn't sound better than what I have in my Denon receiver (after I swaped the OpAmps).

Hmm, I have no idea what "ebay one" signifies. Does that mean "properly designed"? As for the rest, did you perchance listen through the Denon Receivers preamp chock full of Op-Amp's and all sorts of other sound degrading stuff (volume control IC's etc.)?

Your article is very well written (even if is biased somehow :)).

Thank you. One tries. It is quite old. The Bias is intentional and based on listening. But it talks about the situation a decade ago.

Even there, the second circuit (one with differential voltage inputs) doesn't make me feel confident that will sound better than a LT1028 or a LME49990 (or something like that).

Well, you may wish to listen, but remember it is a simple follower. I would only use it where the DAC cannot directly drive the output, something common with Delta Sigma DAC's 10 - 15 Years ago.

Plus the "-" side is connected to nothing as it is drawn.

Of course it does not. Intentionally. You could of course attach a second follower for balanced output if you like.

The key is that filter on the + output loads the DAC. Even if you do not use the - output signal (which I do not in that case), you still need to balance the loads on the DAC output. So you need to double up the filter, even if you do not use halve of it...

Ciao T

Hi,
The key is that filter on the + output loads the DAC. Even if you do not use the - output signal (which I do not in that case), you still need to balance the loads on the DAC output. So you need to double up the filter, even if you do not use halve of it...
Thanks. I am used to see balanced to SE conversions, in order to lower the output noise by some 3dB.

Hi,

Thanks. I am used to see balanced to SE conversions, in order to lower the output noise by some 3dB.

Sure, so am I, in the usual circuitry. But to do a low gain mixer in tube circuitry without tons of feedback is not really straightforward. And the results measure and sound worse than what I show. It is covered in the text for the circuit.

Ciao T

Hi folks.

Just received a SRC2496 and am pretty impressed with what you get for the money. Still waiting for some BNC plugs so haven't been able to test it properly yet, though sounds promising through headphones, though much too loud - probably as I am using Audio Technica ATH-AD700s.

Starting to make a list of mods. Not going to go too OTT (may as well build from scratch for that!) but will replace all low value caps with oscons or even tants (works for Naim!), and the larger caps probably with Rubycon ZL or maybe Panasonic FCs. Also going to install a pair of Digitec 1:1 transformers and bypass the output stage entirely.

Just wondering if anybody out there has the circuit diagram of the latest (Rev I/01) circuit diagram please? The one on the Lampizator website is for the older style boards, not the dual sided one, and many of the part numbers do not match.

Many thanks,

- John

Last edited:
Just finished my SRC2496 with:
-Direct output mod / switchable SRPP tube circuit with 6n16 mini-tubes
-Replaced the elco's with all Oscons and a Black Gate
-Obbligato 6.8uF output caps
-Panasonic FC power supply cap

I must say... it sounds quite good. With direct output via the Obbligatos a bit smoother than with tubes.

But overall, it is soooo extremely close to the Creek CD50 MK2 I borrowed that I almost can't hear the difference. This CDP has a CS4396 dac on board. Anybody with similar experience?

Hi folks.

A member of another forum very kindly offered to professionally replace the AK4393 chip on my SRC2496 with the AK4396 for me, at the company where he works.

Received the board back yesterday and it appears that pins 17 and 18, and also 26, 27 and 28 MAY have a slight solder bridge between them. Even with a magnifiying glass it's hard to be 100% sure, and using a multi-meter on continuity setting proves nothing as many pins are interconnected either internally or externally anyway. I just want to make sure before I power up.

If anyone else has access to their SRC board could you tell me if these pins are meant to be connected, or if I should VERY carefully (heard these things are easy to heat damage!) apply some desoldering braid and my 25W soldering iron to get rid of it?

Many thanks,

- John

Last edited:
bridge

Many of the traces are a common signal and so have a little trace connecting them right near the chip. If you look really close with a 10X viewer, you will see that they may be actual traces that appear to be solder bridges.
Hi folks.

A member of another forum very kindly offered to professionally replace the AK4393 chip on my SRC2496 with the AK4396 for me, at the company where he works.

Received the board back yesterday and it appears that pins 17 and 18, and also 26, 27 and 28 MAY have a slight solder bridge between them. Even with a magnifiying glass it's hard to be 100% sure, and using a multi-meter on continuity setting proves nothing as many pins are interconnected either internally or externally anyway. I just want to make sure before I power up.

If anyone else has access to their SRC board could you tell me if these pins are meant to be connected, or if I should VERY carefully (heard these things are easy to heat damage!) apply some desoldering braid and my 25W soldering iron to get rid of it?

Many thanks,

- John

Thanks for that Sendler. As it happens did some Googling around and found the Lampizator website and a circuit diagram for Revision F of the circuit. Mines must be a higher one I think (all chips on the underside) but from that diagram those pins are connected, so I guess I can quit worrying :)

http://www.lampizator.eu/lampizator/TRANSPORT/behringer/SRC2496.pdf

Cheers,

- John

Last edited:
Apologies in advance.. It's been some time since someone posted in this thread so hope it's ok to ask some questions on it.

The audible buzz coming from the Behringer transformer in my SRC2496 is starting to drive me nuts. Fortunately I'm not hearing that in the analog side.

I noticed PSU mods here consisted of replacing the caps and diodes but didn't see a direct replacement for the Behringer transformer. Is there one to eliminate that noise?
Or is a complete redo of the +15v/-15v and +5v in order?

Also there doesn't seem to be much in the way of mods for the analog input stage.

I'm using the SRC2496 as an ADC in one rack of audio gear and feeding it via toslink to a computer rack ~4 to 5 meters away. I'm going via optical to help avoid any noise/ground issues.

There is this pre-modded SRC2496 dubbed the "Special Edition" that mentions:
Similar modifications are also for the analog inputs. By replacing the analog input circuit with high quality transformers coupled directly to the ADC chip, the SRC2496 becomes incredibly transparent, and could be used with the best turntables or other analog sources. The additional cost of the input changes for upgrading the SRC2496's analog-digital conversion input components is £80

Behringer SRC2496 Special Edition DAC

I'm guessing these could be 1:1 audio transformers going directly to the ADC bypassing the 3 op amps?

So, I have a question jumping in here really late and being a novice. What I think I am hearing said on one reply is you wire a cap in series from the + leg of the chip for each channel direct to the RCA out? Is there adequate gain like that? Does that .15V DC offset hurt the preamp (in a non-tube Lamp'd setup) How did that work out in the long run?

Last edited:
uk diy'ers happy to help a lamer..:)

Hello Lads,
I've read whole src2496 topic (not just one)
and decided I am not able to upgrade it myself, as my diy electronic skills are very basics (soldering cables only)
Is there anyone. living in the UK happy to help me out ?
Obviously not for free, I am very happy to pay for it.
Please, let me know at my PM.

thanks a lot

Here are my mods on SCR2496

Thank you to all contributing to this thread.

I thought I should share my mods:

1) upgraded diodes to Schottky Diode 11DQ10
2) Installed a 3300uF CAP for the PSU
3) changed the 10uF caps to SANYO Oscon 15uF. Had tried Tantalum and the sound was muffled, total lack of dynamism
4) Two last coupling caps are huge MPK 33uF connected using silver wire. Not sure having silver wire is so important but given the time spend the extra money was a no brainer. The setup will also allow installing high quality resitors (~30KOhm) to reduce the high level of output (XLR to RCA adapter for most preamps)
5) Upgraded myself the chip to AKM4396 (Yes, learned it from Ebay, key was to order the quick chip type of solder mix)
6) upgraded all six opamps from JRC4580 to OPA2209.

The biggest gains came from Diodes and opamps, can not say about the chip as I changed several things at the same time but I think it is a much more dynamic chip.

I am not sure I am at the same level as a direct out mod, but the result is quite impressive. Can someone explain to me Zanash's cap mod he explained in one of the first messages of this topic (same thread he mentioned the schottky 11DQ10 Diodes which make a big difference!).

Maybe modding the SCR2496 is getting less interesting than a few years ago as other DACs are coming out, would be interested to hear about other DACs that would compete in the same price/range.

lecentaur, I have just bought a second src2496, I am going to start modding my old one, and want to have a reference to the sound of the original one. I honestly don´t use it much as I use my cd player xlr out direct to the integrated amp I have. I must say though that I am very impressed by the cd player. It is an Accuphase DP-70 from 1987, that is 25 years old. It uses eight ICL8010ACPD chips as DAC, and it simply sounds better than any other DAC I have tried. It does have a slightly bit thinner low, but it is very tight and well defined. The mids and highs are incomparable, and is pretty much on par with an Ayon Skylla II. I took my cd player to the high end dealership where I buy most of my stuff, and we spent an afternoon comparing it to other cd players and transport dac combinations. Clearly the only one better in every respect was the Accupahase DP-700, but it had better be at that price. I would say it is basically on par with most mid to mid high priced players and dacs. I had bought the Behringer to try and get better sound from more modern chips and from upsampling, but quite frankly I liked the music from the behringer with no upsampling, and at no point was it superior to the DP-70.

What have you used to benchmark the sound of your modded SRC ??? I have real doubts as to whether this SRC can be upgraded to become a really good DAC, it just does not seem to have the resolution or the detail of the old very old DAC in the DP-70. Maybe with a new chip, there is now an AK4397 and AK4399. Maybe the new chips will be better. Still, please let me know what your experience has been with the Behringer and what you have compared it to.

Manuel

AK4396

Hi,
a plea for advice.... I have found a company here in the UK which has offered to remove the old DAC chip and replace it with the 4396 (which I have to supply). The cost is £120. This is the only offer that i have had for this work so far. can anyone advise on cheaper (but reliable) alternatives?

Thanks

Please have a look this link here: Valve Tube DAC Behringer SRC2496 Ultramatch Pro SRPP 6N3P-E Pure ClassA | eBay Swapping 4396 in place of 4393 ​​costs £ 70 + shipping Warmest

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.