Behringer SRC2496 mods

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone, I'm thinking of purchasing this unit some time soon.

Can someone here mask a list of mods that are worthwhile and which are not.

Also interested in zanash's mods where he bypassed (what ever he bypassed lol) to get an unbalanced signal to output to standard consumer level amps. Wondering if that also takes care of the output levels.

Also, are these mods someone with no experience could undertake or am I better trying to find someone to do them for me.

zanash said:
there's loads of space in the case .....

yes I've taken the unbalanced signal from the opamp after the dac via large pio caps ....this improves the sound lifting to a higher level. [my preamp doesn't have balanced inputs ] So I felt there was no need to run the signal through the extra stages.

hello zanash.

did you take the sinal before or after the first opamp?

i have take it after the first opamp from the 47uf decoupling caps and i have ground loops problems.

did you have any?

pushing the SRC2496 to the MAX possible quality in D/A function

What things do i need to mod in order to push the src 2496 to the max possible SQ as D/A purpose? Now in my mind is,

1. Ak4396 Dac
2. Burson Opamp in D/A
3. Replace clock unit
4. Toroidal transformer

can i add extra analog RCA output? because i dun use XLR...

DEQ is easier to mod for direct out

I use a stock SRC for upsampling and send digital to a modified DEQ. The DEQ is easier to mod by stealing the analog outputs of the dac because it has a ribbon cable which can be cut into. definitely get someone to swap the dac chip to an AK4396 which will drop in with no problems. And then consider running direct out from the ribbons to a good transformer or cap to block the dc. No ultrasonic filters required because of the ultra low out of band noise spectrum of the top of the line AKM dacs. This eliminates four or five opamps doing dif amp summing, active filter, mute, phase splitter and servo swinging output and some electrolytic signal coupling caps. I sold my Sowter transformers as I prefer a stack of Dayton foil caps. I also have a slight preference for the 4395 but it requires an additional 5v regulator whereas the 4396 runs well on the stock 3.3v making it a drop in. As long as you are good at soldering with a 10x microscope strapped to your eye. Plus, if you start out with a DEQ you have a digital eq that once you try it you will never want to live with out it.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Opamps?

Hay guys :)

I have the SRC2496 and tried taking the signal from the DAC via the R+ &L+ legs on the chip, then through a pair or passive audio transformers, but there was lots of distortion :(

So now I'm looking at replacing the opamps, only the ones that will be in use, I am taking the signal from where the C25 & C26 caps were before the balanced stage and then through the transformers.

I intend using AD8066 opamps.

There are six opamps in the output stage and am a little confused :confused:

So, which opamps do I need to swap out?

Cheers.

Run the input to the trannies balanced

data said:
Hay guys :)

I have the SRC2496 and tried taking the signal from the DAC via the R+ &L+ legs on the chip, then through a pair or passive audio transformers, but there was lots of distortion :(
Something must have been mismatched, wired wrong or overloaded. Direct out through high quality transformers is normally a big step up in sonics. Run the primaries from R+ to R- and from L+ to L- for the best input. There is no dc between the legs, as there is 2.6v from either leg to ground, and the balanced input has other advantages such as noise and deviation from linearity canceling.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
I didn't wire the "-" legs, I thought that they would be OK using the ground plane the were on, hmm...

I'm using RCA in from my DVD player, so no balanced input.

Maybe I should try from the DAC again, this time running wires from the L- & R- to the star ground?

Edit:Opps! now I see, I have to connect the "-" outs to the negatives of the trannies..........silly me, not enough sleep!

Now if I can just solder those 4 wire on without making a mess of it, so small :xeye:

Balanced

data said:
I didn't wire the "-" legs, I thought that they would be OK using the ground plane the were on, hmm...

I'm using RCA in from my DVD player, so no balanced input.

Maybe I should try from the DAC again, this time running wires from the L- & R- to the star ground?
Don't use ground at all. Your transformers are saturated with 2.6v dc and apparently don't like it. Plus, that may also be loading down the dac. Connect one primary lead to + and the other to -. You can then wire the secondary with one lead to ground for single ended use or use pins 2 and 3 for a balanced output.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Oh damn!

I can't even get 2 wires soldered on this time, let alone 4 :(

I had to stop before I messed it up, this is my second SRC due to my lack of fine soldering skills :xeye:

I'll have to just do the opamps if someone can tell me what ones to swap?

Thanks for the encouragement and help anyway, sendler...

Trace the signal out by eye

data said:
Oh damn!

I can't even get 2 wires soldered on this time, let alone 4

[/B]
I know what you mean. Those pins are tiny.
That's why I like the DEQ for the direct out mod. It has a ribbon cable that carries the signal right from the chips with nothing else in the way.
You may be able to trace the signal by eye to the first component and pick it up there. If it is the same as a DCX, each leg should go to a 2k resistor that starts to set up the analog filter. Remove them and pick it up there.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Well I just tried that and the resistor broke into pieces while I was attempting to remove it, and that left me with just the ends of the traces, no pads just the ends of the traces :xeye:

Anyway I have made an attempt to solder wires to those traces and put a couple of dollops of liquid electrical tape over the job.

Fingers crossed that I have them contacting and that they don't come loose while I set things up shortly :rolleyes:

I must thank you for the help Scott, maybe all will be well in the end :)

Now to wait for that tape to dry well...

Re: DEQ is easier to mod for direct out

sendler said:
I use a stock SRC for upsampling and send digital to a modified DEQ. The DEQ is easier to mod by stealing the analog outputs of the dac because it has a ribbon cable which can be cut into. definitely get someone to swap the dac chip to an AK4396 which will drop in with no problems. And then consider running direct out from the ribbons to a good transformer or cap to block the dc. No ultrasonic filters required because of the ultra low out of band noise spectrum of the top of the line AKM dacs. This eliminates four or five opamps doing dif amp summing, active filter, mute, phase splitter and servo swinging output and some electrolytic signal coupling caps. I sold my Sowter transformers as I prefer a stack of Dayton foil caps. I also have a slight preference for the 4395 but it requires an additional 5v regulator whereas the 4396 runs well on the stock 3.3v making it a drop in. As long as you are good at soldering with a 10x microscope strapped to your eye. Plus, if you start out with a DEQ you have a digital eq that once you try it you will never want to live with out it.

Scott, I am confused about your setup.

If you are sending a digital signal to the SRC (perhaps from a CD player), then the SRC up samples to a higher rate and to 24 bits, then you send the digital signal to the DEQ. What is the improvement?

I was under the impression that the digital input on the DEQ (or even a DCX) would also do the up sampling and also convert to 24 bits.

What is the advantage of inserting the SRC in the chain?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.