Behringer SRC2496 mods - Page 12 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd July 2010, 02:51 PM   #111
johnm is offline johnm  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Thanks for that Sendler. As it happens did some Googling around and found the Lampizator website and a circuit diagram for Revision F of the circuit. Mines must be a higher one I think (all chips on the underside) but from that diagram those pins are connected, so I guess I can quit worrying

http://www.lampizator.eu/lampizator/...er/SRC2496.pdf

Cheers,

- John

Last edited by johnm; 22nd July 2010 at 02:54 PM.
Old 11th January 2011, 03:28 AM   #112
Signal is offline Signal  United States
diyAudio Member

Apologies in advance.. It's been some time since someone posted in this thread so hope it's ok to ask some questions on it.

The audible buzz coming from the Behringer transformer in my SRC2496 is starting to drive me nuts. Fortunately I'm not hearing that in the analog side.

I noticed PSU mods here consisted of replacing the caps and diodes but didn't see a direct replacement for the Behringer transformer. Is there one to eliminate that noise?
Or is a complete redo of the +15v/-15v and +5v in order?

Also there doesn't seem to be much in the way of mods for the analog input stage.

I'm using the SRC2496 as an ADC in one rack of audio gear and feeding it via toslink to a computer rack ~4 to 5 meters away. I'm going via optical to help avoid any noise/ground issues.

There is this pre-modded SRC2496 dubbed the "Special Edition" that mentions:
Quote:
Similar modifications are also for the analog inputs. By replacing the analog input circuit with high quality transformers coupled directly to the ADC chip, the SRC2496 becomes incredibly transparent, and could be used with the best turntables or other analog sources. The additional cost of the input changes for upgrading the SRC2496's analog-digital conversion input components is £80
Behringer SRC2496 Special Edition DAC

I'm guessing these could be 1:1 audio transformers going directly to the ADC bypassing the 3 op amps?
Old 28th September 2011, 02:53 AM   #113
diyAudio Member

So, I have a question jumping in here really late and being a novice. What I think I am hearing said on one reply is you wire a cap in series from the + leg of the chip for each channel direct to the RCA out? Is there adequate gain like that? Does that .15V DC offset hurt the preamp (in a non-tube Lamp'd setup) How did that work out in the long run?

Last edited by audioquestM-40; 28th September 2011 at 03:02 AM.
Old 28th September 2011, 03:26 AM   #114
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

See the various mods for the DCX2496. They would be very much the same. Caps, transformers, active. You don't really want to go DC out.
Old 28th September 2011, 09:15 PM   #115
diyAudio Member

Default uk diy'ers happy to help a lamer..:)

Hello Lads,
I've read whole src2496 topic (not just one)
and decided I am not able to upgrade it myself, as my diy electronic skills are very basics (soldering cables only)
Is there anyone. living in the UK happy to help me out ?
Obviously not for free, I am very happy to pay for it.
Please, let me know at my PM.

thanks a lot
Old 29th September 2011, 12:48 AM   #116
diyAudio Member

So I was perusing eBay and this popped up. Opinons on this as a shortcut to the tube mod, other than the obvious high cost? Question #2: has anyone here produced a pcb to do this?

DAC I/V conversion module SRPP tube module | eBay

OR

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Buffer-2pcs-...item2eb5c66c83
Old 29th September 2011, 01:26 AM   #117
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

You don't need I/V conversion with the AKM DAC chips in the DEQ. They are voltage out chips. The buffer might work, I don't know.
Old 15th July 2012, 08:51 AM   #118
diyAudio Member

Default Here are my mods on SCR2496

Thank you to all contributing to this thread.

I thought I should share my mods:

1) upgraded diodes to Schottky Diode 11DQ10
2) Installed a 3300uF CAP for the PSU
3) changed the 10uF caps to SANYO Oscon 15uF. Had tried Tantalum and the sound was muffled, total lack of dynamism
4) Two last coupling caps are huge MPK 33uF connected using silver wire. Not sure having silver wire is so important but given the time spend the extra money was a no brainer. The setup will also allow installing high quality resitors (~30KOhm) to reduce the high level of output (XLR to RCA adapter for most preamps)
5) Upgraded myself the chip to AKM4396 (Yes, learned it from Ebay, key was to order the quick chip type of solder mix)
6) upgraded all six opamps from JRC4580 to OPA2209.

The biggest gains came from Diodes and opamps, can not say about the chip as I changed several things at the same time but I think it is a much more dynamic chip.

I am not sure I am at the same level as a direct out mod, but the result is quite impressive. Can someone explain to me Zanash's cap mod he explained in one of the first messages of this topic (same thread he mentioned the schottky 11DQ10 Diodes which make a big difference!).

Maybe modding the SCR2496 is getting less interesting than a few years ago as other DACs are coming out, would be interested to hear about other DACs that would compete in the same price/range.
Old 21st September 2012, 01:55 AM   #119
diyAudio Member

lecentaur, I have just bought a second src2496, I am going to start modding my old one, and want to have a reference to the sound of the original one. I honestly don´t use it much as I use my cd player xlr out direct to the integrated amp I have. I must say though that I am very impressed by the cd player. It is an Accuphase DP-70 from 1987, that is 25 years old. It uses eight ICL8010ACPD chips as DAC, and it simply sounds better than any other DAC I have tried. It does have a slightly bit thinner low, but it is very tight and well defined. The mids and highs are incomparable, and is pretty much on par with an Ayon Skylla II. I took my cd player to the high end dealership where I buy most of my stuff, and we spent an afternoon comparing it to other cd players and transport dac combinations. Clearly the only one better in every respect was the Accupahase DP-700, but it had better be at that price. I would say it is basically on par with most mid to mid high priced players and dacs. I had bought the Behringer to try and get better sound from more modern chips and from upsampling, but quite frankly I liked the music from the behringer with no upsampling, and at no point was it superior to the DP-70.

What have you used to benchmark the sound of your modded SRC ??? I have real doubts as to whether this SRC can be upgraded to become a really good DAC, it just does not seem to have the resolution or the detail of the old very old DAC in the DP-70. Maybe with a new chip, there is now an AK4397 and AK4399. Maybe the new chips will be better. Still, please let me know what your experience has been with the Behringer and what you have compared it to.

Manuel
Old 16th October 2012, 08:37 AM   #120
diyAudio Member

Default AK4396

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgebrooke View Post
Hi,
a plea for advice.... I have found a company here in the UK which has offered to remove the old DAC chip and replace it with the 4396 (which I have to supply). The cost is £120. This is the only offer that i have had for this work so far. can anyone advise on cheaper (but reliable) alternatives?

Thanks
Please have a look this link here: Valve Tube DAC Behringer SRC2496 Ultramatch Pro SRPP 6N3P-E Pure ClassA | eBay Swapping 4396 in place of 4393 ​​costs £ 70 + shipping Warmest

Hide this!Advertise here!