Behringer SRC2496 mods - Page 11 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st March 2010, 06:10 PM   #101
Previously: Kuei Yang Wang

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNic_real_one View Post
I have looked over various I/V stages with tubes posted here on the forum
What have I/V stages to do with the AK4393? It is voltage output.

Quote:
Sure, I can be wrong. I did listen to one of those DAC's with tubes (eBay one) and it didn't sound better than what I have in my Denon receiver (after I swaped the OpAmps).
Hmm, I have no idea what "ebay one" signifies. Does that mean "properly designed"? As for the rest, did you perchance listen through the Denon Receivers preamp chock full of Op-Amp's and all sorts of other sound degrading stuff (volume control IC's etc.)?

Quote:
Your article is very well written (even if is biased somehow ).
Thank you. One tries. It is quite old. The Bias is intentional and based on listening. But it talks about the situation a decade ago.

Quote:
Even there, the second circuit (one with differential voltage inputs) doesn't make me feel confident that will sound better than a LT1028 or a LME49990 (or something like that).
Well, you may wish to listen, but remember it is a simple follower. I would only use it where the DAC cannot directly drive the output, something common with Delta Sigma DAC's 10 - 15 Years ago.

Quote:
Plus the "-" side is connected to nothing as it is drawn.
Of course it does not. Intentionally. You could of course attach a second follower for balanced output if you like.

The key is that filter on the + output loads the DAC. Even if you do not use the - output signal (which I do not in that case), you still need to balance the loads on the DAC output. So you need to double up the filter, even if you do not use halve of it...

Ciao T
Old 21st March 2010, 07:54 PM   #102
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorstenL View Post
Hi,
The key is that filter on the + output loads the DAC. Even if you do not use the - output signal (which I do not in that case), you still need to balance the loads on the DAC output. So you need to double up the filter, even if you do not use halve of it...
Thanks. I am used to see balanced to SE conversions, in order to lower the output noise by some 3dB.
Old 22nd March 2010, 01:12 AM   #103
Previously: Kuei Yang Wang

Hi,

Quote:
Thanks. I am used to see balanced to SE conversions, in order to lower the output noise by some 3dB.
Sure, so am I, in the usual circuitry. But to do a low gain mixer in tube circuitry without tons of feedback is not really straightforward. And the results measure and sound worse than what I show. It is covered in the text for the circuit.

Ciao T
Old 26th March 2010, 03:09 PM   #104
johnm is offline johnm  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi folks.

Just received a SRC2496 and am pretty impressed with what you get for the money. Still waiting for some BNC plugs so haven't been able to test it properly yet, though sounds promising through headphones, though much too loud - probably as I am using Audio Technica ATH-AD700s.

Starting to make a list of mods. Not going to go too OTT (may as well build from scratch for that!) but will replace all low value caps with oscons or even tants (works for Naim!), and the larger caps probably with Rubycon ZL or maybe Panasonic FCs. Also going to install a pair of Digitec 1:1 transformers and bypass the output stage entirely.

Just wondering if anybody out there has the circuit diagram of the latest (Rev I/01) circuit diagram please? The one on the Lampizator website is for the older style boards, not the dual sided one, and many of the part numbers do not match.

Many thanks,

- John

Last edited by johnm; 26th March 2010 at 03:24 PM.
Old 29th April 2010, 03:41 PM   #105
diyAudio Member

Just finished my SRC2496 with:
-Direct output mod / switchable SRPP tube circuit with 6n16 mini-tubes
-Replaced the elco's with all Oscons and a Black Gate
-Obbligato 6.8uF output caps
-Panasonic FC power supply cap

I must say... it sounds quite good. With direct output via the Obbligatos a bit smoother than with tubes.

But overall, it is soooo extremely close to the Creek CD50 MK2 I borrowed that I almost can't hear the difference. This CDP has a CS4396 dac on board. Anybody with similar experience?
Old 25th May 2010, 07:33 PM   #106
diyAudio Member

Does anybody know anything about the quality of the 2 clocks in the SRC2496?
Jitter?
Would fitting 1 or 2 'premium' clocks improve things? Thinking of a Tent clock.... :-)
Old 25th May 2010, 08:06 PM   #107
sendler is offline sendler  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by studiostevus View Post
Does anybody know anything about the quality of the 2 clocks in the SRC2496?
Jitter?
Would fitting 1 or 2 'premium' clocks improve things? Thinking of a Tent clock.... :-)
Oettle thinks it makes a big difference. I haven't tried it.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi...ml#post2147984
Old 25th May 2010, 08:41 PM   #108
diyAudio Member

For the DCX he does.... also for SRC?
Old 22nd July 2010, 01:19 PM   #109
johnm is offline johnm  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi folks.

A member of another forum very kindly offered to professionally replace the AK4393 chip on my SRC2496 with the AK4396 for me, at the company where he works.

Received the board back yesterday and it appears that pins 17 and 18, and also 26, 27 and 28 MAY have a slight solder bridge between them. Even with a magnifiying glass it's hard to be 100% sure, and using a multi-meter on continuity setting proves nothing as many pins are interconnected either internally or externally anyway. I just want to make sure before I power up.

If anyone else has access to their SRC board could you tell me if these pins are meant to be connected, or if I should VERY carefully (heard these things are easy to heat damage!) apply some desoldering braid and my 25W soldering iron to get rid of it?

Many thanks,

- John

Last edited by johnm; 22nd July 2010 at 01:22 PM.
Old 22nd July 2010, 01:41 PM   #110
sendler is offline sendler  United States
diyAudio Member

Default bridge

Many of the traces are a common signal and so have a little trace connecting them right near the chip. If you look really close with a 10X viewer, you will see that they may be actual traces that appear to be solder bridges.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnm View Post
Hi folks.

A member of another forum very kindly offered to professionally replace the AK4393 chip on my SRC2496 with the AK4396 for me, at the company where he works.

Received the board back yesterday and it appears that pins 17 and 18, and also 26, 27 and 28 MAY have a slight solder bridge between them. Even with a magnifiying glass it's hard to be 100% sure, and using a multi-meter on continuity setting proves nothing as many pins are interconnected either internally or externally anyway. I just want to make sure before I power up.

If anyone else has access to their SRC board could you tell me if these pins are meant to be connected, or if I should VERY carefully (heard these things are easy to heat damage!) apply some desoldering braid and my 25W soldering iron to get rid of it?

Many thanks,

- John

Hide this!Advertise here!