Behringer DCX 2496 to prototype active crossover - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st September 2005, 07:11 AM   #21
Irakli is offline Irakli  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi All

I have a tri-amp system and bought DCX2496 exactly for the purpose to optimize the crossovers.
it is a fantastic unit as far as the functionality is concerned. However, the bad news is that it completely destroys detail in the sound, basically turning high end system to the mid-fi one.
At first I thought that signal level matching was a problem. So I built active six channel volume control (thanks everybody on this forum for help) and placed it after the DCX. Sound improved somewhat, but the lack of detail (or distortion) is still prominent.
The best thing is to use DCX with some CAD software and soundcard. I am using TrueRTA spectrum analizer ($100). My goal is to approximate driver + crossover response to that of the 4th order LR filter.
First, I looped DCX with a soundcard and generated set of 4th order LR curves with different cutoff frequencies. Then I added whole chain in the loop (card out -> DCX -> amp -> speaker -> mic -> mic amp -> card in), turned on pink noise and tried to approximate overall response to one of the pre-generated curves.
It is still a work in progress. The encouriging result is that I can get away with second order filters. This is a big thing because reducing filter sections will diminish cost of the real analog crosover significantly.
To summarize, DCX is a great thing to play with, but I would not use it in a high end system.
Old 1st September 2005, 06:45 PM   #22
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Would you use it under 70Hz just to drive subs and notch out some room nodes in a high end conext?
Old 1st September 2005, 07:03 PM   #23
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Irakli
At first I thought that signal level matching was a problem. So I built active six channel volume control (thanks everybody on this forum for help) and placed it after the DCX. Sound improved somewhat, but the lack of detail (or distortion) is still prominent.
Two words- Gain Structure!

As pro kit needs much greater signal levels to work efficiently, especially with an A-D first stage, you need to boost the input signal level as well.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 27th October 2005, 05:48 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to AnthonyPT
Hi

that SI 6 channel remote volume Kit at Altronics OZ is being reduced to just AUS150 (US100 approx.) If one can only get the DCX signal strength down and pop in better buffer Ics sure would make a clean solution for controlling volume to six amps needed with the DCX 2496. Looks like the case alone sell for AUD$99 retail. Will go and break out my piggy bank for it. Funny how we do thing backwards.
I still have to get the DCX 2496 itself! I'm still using an analogue
3way active 24db crossover. There I was going on about prototyping with the DCX2496 and then making high quality Analogue boards from the listening data! Maybe a DCX2496 in 2006 or in the OZ group buy?

Regards

AnthonyPT

PS URls are on an earlier post on this topic.

Hide this!Advertise here!