EIAJ to I2S converter and vice versa - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th June 2005, 02:39 PM   #1
cm is offline cm  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Default EIAJ to I2S converter and vice versa

Since I posted the scehmatics and PCB of a quick and dirty EIAJ converter, I have received may mails asking about mods, theory of operations, why it does not work etc etc. Also, I have recieved many request to do a I2S to EIAJ converter. So I thought I must just as well post both together with a brief description so that I can cut down on support overhead

I attach the picture of the timing diagram of I2S side by side with EIAJ, taken from one of the Philips datasheet. The data format of both standards are the same, and the only difference is the phase of the LRCLK ( or WCK - many datasheet uses this interchangably ), and when the data is starting as with respect to the LRCLK.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg eiaj-i2s.jpg (31.6 KB, 3663 views)
Old 5th June 2005, 02:53 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

So firstly, an EIAJ to I2S converter. I designed this circuit to drive a TDA1541 DAC from the EIAJ of a Sony servo controller chip ( CXD1135 ). Other common ones are CXD2500 etc etc. Depending on the way they are programed, some Philips servo controller also outputs EIAJ signals instead of I2S. Usually this is because a EIAJ input DAC such as TDA1545 or TDA1543A were used.

To converter EIAJ to I2S, we need to delay the LRCLK signal by 7 BCK cycles, and invert it. This is easily accomplished with NOT gates, and a 7 bit shift register. I have implemented this circuit as per the schematics below.

BCK needs to be inverted as the 74HCT374 is positive edge triggerred, and used to clock the shift register. LRCLK is inverted three times, to get the right phase, and to delay it by 2 more gates propagation delaty as compared to the shift register clock signals so that the data is valid during the clock edge.

I have run out of gates, and hence did not buffer the data signal. That can be easily accomplished by using another two NOT gates. But that would mean that I need another 74HCT04. I took the easy way out and did not bother. If you are driving long cables, or are driving several DACs ( parallel DAC for example ), it is good practice to buffer the data signal. This also prevents you killing your expensive servo controller or CS8412 if you scr*w up something.

The circuit had been tested on TDA1543 ( 4 in parallel ) with no problems. However, with the TDA1541, there is some background noise. This noise is reduced significantlly when 100 ohm resistors are connected in series with the signals to damp the ringing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg eiaj_to_i2s.jpg (37.6 KB, 3591 views)
Old 5th June 2005, 03:00 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Finally, an I2S to EIAJ controller.

This circuit works on the same principle. Invert the LRCLK signal, and delay the DATA line by 7 cycles ( for 16 bits data ).

Again, I used a 74HCT04 for the inverters, and a 74HCT374 wired as a shift register.

Again BCK is inverted to clock the shift register. DATA is inverted twice to delay it by two gates propogation delay. LRCLK is inverted.

I have not built this circuit but had been told by someone who did that the circuit works. It should as it is really quite simple.

The usual 100 ohm damping resistors are good practice.

Have fun. Now you can easily implement most DACs to most servo controller regardless of formats.

CM
Attached Images
File Type: jpg i2s_to_eiaj.jpg (37.6 KB, 3479 views)
Old 5th June 2005, 03:36 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

The TDA1543A will not work with either of the two formats shown in post 1
Old 15th August 2005, 05:37 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hello

CM you are doing a great job!!

Please look at this link page 22--23 there is CXD2500+SM5843 +SM5861 as in my cd-player

http://www.ortodoxism.ro/datasheets/npc/SM5843AS1.pdf

My next job replacing SM5843+SM5861 with an EIAJ to I2S converter and a PCM1738 or PCM1794 dac chip(Both have digital filter built in) and finaly a XO2 clock (16.9...Mhz) and zapfilter2

But how do I connect

BCK?
WS?
Data to data
XO2 clock to pcm1794?

Best regards
Kim
Old 31st August 2005, 07:02 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to cartman
CM!

Can you sell me an PCB for EIAJ to I2S converter?
Can you send me a good quality picture of the schematic?

Thanks in advance...
cartman
Old 14th October 2005, 05:13 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

thank you so much for this design! built an EIAJ to I2S converter to drive my TDA1543's from an NEC CD-Rom that uses EIAJ and it worked great!

thanks so much!
Old 6th April 2008, 11:19 AM   #8
leonidp is offline leonidp  Israel
diyAudio Member

Hello, I impelemented the convertor for Sony CXD2507 and TDA1541A - works, but the signal level from the left channel is lower then the right one - I used 16 bit out (pin Q7). Any ideas?
Old 3rd October 2008, 02:47 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to cartman
leonidp!

did you solve the problem???
Old 3rd October 2008, 03:13 PM   #10
robo is offline robo  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Default hi

guys

i have a different idea:turn I2S to EAIJ.for i want to use PCM63 in PHILIPS CD system.

any suggestion?

Hide this!Advertise here!