TDA1545 – possible to piggy back? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th May 2005, 10:57 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Default Dear Joe:

Thanks for the answer. You go too fast for me
I'll have to decode your thoughts...

>>>I think the CDPRO outputs I2S while the TDA1545 (and TDA1453A) accepts only EIAJ<<<

Sorry, I was thinking about TDA1541 perhaps.

>>>Perth is also one of the most isolated capital cities in the world<<<

I quite understand you! South Chile is not the center of the DIYer activity neither
Glad we have the Net to increase our ambition

Good luck!
Mauricio
Old 20th May 2005, 11:04 PM   #12
Kip is offline Kip  United States
diyAudio Member

The cd-pro transport can output EIAJ with a change in it's software. I am using Yeo's 1545 dac with my CD-Pro2m transport kit. I am using his Crystal receiver chip to convert the spdif to EIAJ. To force the CD-PRO to output EIAJ directly into the 1545 would be my goal. I would also like some sort of active output stage.
Old 20th May 2005, 11:35 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Default Bravo! Peter...

Your 16*1543 DAC is great!
Maybe I will try this next.
You had to halve R load, right?
VDC at pins 6/8 is the same 3.85V?
Have you mesured the max output from it? I have a nice TVC

I liked your PS to Tent's clock. It doesn't seem so difficult.
I use a 36Ah battery

I suspect your long wires from tower to PCB. Have you tried vertical PCB + horizontal tower directly soldered? Maybe from the bottom...

Congratulations again...
When I grow up I want to be like Peter ...

Mauricio
Old 21st May 2005, 12:11 AM   #14
pburke is offline pburke  Germany
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Bravo! Peter...

Quote:
Originally posted by maxlorenz

You had to halve R load, right?
VDC at pins 6/8 is the same 3.85V?
Have you mesured the max output from it? I have a nice TVC

I liked your PS to Tent's clock. It doesn't seem so difficult.
I use a 36Ah battery

I suspect your long wires from tower to PCB. Have you tried vertical PCB + horizontal tower directly soldered? Maybe from the bottom...

Congratulations again...
When I grow up I want to be like Peter ...

Mauricio

the formular for the resistors is on Doede's site - it's actually 137 ohms with 16 DACs. I first ran it with 270 and it sounded great until I hit a CD that was recorded at -0db - ouch!

The PS for the clock is Guido's spec with some changed resistors because his spec didn't work - search this forum for the thread. How the hell do you charge that monster battery? Even the 18ah lasts almost 20 hours with 16 chips

The wires moving the tower were a thing I was worried about but I cannot hear a difference between the tower on the PCB and moved 2" off to have better cooling. I tried all sorts of angle mounts and decided that a custom "dongle" with a 8-pin socket would be the best solution for cooling. The thing pulls a full amp - can't mess with the heat generated. I may wrap the wires for the next DAC I am building in ERS paper, but that's really not a concern compared to the heat generated in there. The case is only 40mm so vertical PCB is no go, unless I custom build one. Actually, given I moved most of the power supply parts off the board, that may be a solution in the future. Doede himself is working on an evolution of the DAC with mudular boards for folks wanting some features but not others. That may shrink the core board enough to fit it horizontally next to a large heat sink like the one I am using

The output is still set to 3.85v on pins 6/8 - sounds best with the 16 chips as well. No idea what the current is but it's substantial given you can easily drive Sennheiser 650s and get solid bass.

Peter
Old 21st May 2005, 04:47 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Hi Peter,

Your 16 X TDA1543 DAC is very impressive and I like the heat sinks for the DAC tower.

However I am interested in elminating the SPDIF interface alltogther and using either I2S or EIAJ from the transport to feed the DAC chips directly. The idea is to keep the DAC within the transport box and separate the power supply into another box.

At the moment I have chosen the 1453 for I2S and 1545 for EIAJ. I think they sound different enough, but equally enjoyable, to make this project interesting.

Cheers,
Old 31st May 2005, 08:39 PM   #16
agent.5 is offline agent.5  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pburke
while you're getting ready to rebuild your DDDAC - here's a link to what I did over the last few months to "rebuild" mine. Maybe a little over the top given your comments about budget, but before you build a new DAC that sounds just like the old one, this link may give you some new ideas:

My new 16-chip DDDAC

Peter

Interesting project. Just wondering where do you get the aluminum heatsinks for the DAC tower?
Old 11th May 2006, 12:08 PM   #17
A'af is offline A'af  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Is it the answerfor this thread OK oe NO?

thanks in advance
Old 19th December 2007, 04:47 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Tried to Piggyback up to 3x TDA 1545A chip and confirmed:
1) dynamic improved a lot
2) clarity and wider soundstage also improved

1 suggestion only: please decouple the Vdd to GND as well as Vref to GND using polycaps (at least 22pF plus a ferrite bead)..

Enjoy!!

Hide this!Advertise here!