Please help dcx2496 + S/PDIF - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th May 2005, 12:07 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Ergo,

Do you have an update on the recommended transformer?

Jan Didden
Old 9th May 2005, 12:13 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Check Lundahl LL1574, http://www.kandkaudio.com/transformers.html

or Guido's DAC input cct (attached)

Extreme_Boky
Attached Files
File Type: pdf dig_r2a.pdf (18.7 KB, 148 views)
Old 9th May 2005, 12:23 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Thanks!

Jan Didden
Old 9th May 2005, 02:02 PM   #14
AR2 is offline AR2  United States
Master Burner

This is an elegant solution to what you need - Neutrik AES/EBU Digital audio transformer.
Here is the link:
http://dv411.com/neutaestran.html
Price goes from $ 30 to $50.
It does good job and it is very small. You could order it in various connector combinations, and you will need BNC to RCA adapter.
I have to say it is funny that this single transformer - adapter goes up to $ 50 and you could get Behringer SRC 2496 unit for $ 130. Behringer could serve you as a digital preamp, bit rate converter, digital distribution box...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg computervicestore_1841_27698442.jpg (43.6 KB, 499 views)
Old 9th May 2005, 02:38 PM   #15
Banned

Ergo:

Try the resistor on the primary side. There is an alternate source for those transformers now..........Digi-key sells them.

E-B:

No! In any case, I would use coax, instead of 110 ohm for the cable. The less XLR anything in the path the better.

Since the unit uses a Crystal RX, any of the many circuits floating around could be used. No reason to try to stick to high AES/EBU output level. So, treat it as a typical SPDIF stage.

The trick is to find a good one.

Jocko
Old 9th May 2005, 03:24 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by audio-kraut
Some folks are apparently unable to read a manual; in the dcx manual behringer clearly shows how to make a plug converting from spdif rca to spdif xlr. And it even works that way - probably to the astonishment of those commentators here.
It does not need any additional converter units, just an rc, a xlr plug and some wire in between. Too easy for some?

I have the manual V 1.0 September 2002, but it is not in there. Unless I am completely blind...

Jan Didden
Old 9th May 2005, 05:46 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Thats why I cancelled my reply - it was described in the old ultracurve 8024 manual which I had owned for years and also in the src 2496 manual. Too many manuals in my case.
But a simple xlr to rca diy cable is sufficient in my exerience with both units. Connect pin 1&3 of the xlr to sleeve of the rca, and pin 2 of the xlr to the tip of the rca.
Old 9th May 2005, 07:07 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Yeah. I bought a Neutrix XLR>RCA converter jack (like a regular XLR but with a female RCA at the end where normally the cable goes in). I have no idea of the internal connections, but I plugged it into the DCX, RCA from CD player into the other end and it plays without a hitch. Even sounds good

Jan Didden
Old 9th May 2005, 09:26 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

what one has to keep in mind - if you build your own converter cable, use a 75 ohm coax. I have tried a regular audio cable (canara l4e6s) which worked fine with my micromega cd player to the deq (i assume it also would have worked for the dcx) but did not transmit any signal from my philips 963. With a 75 ohm coax cable (RG 59) no problems at all.
Old 9th May 2005, 11:12 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

So with the DCX is there any discernable improvement between a non-transformered spdfi input and one that has one and converts to aes????

Also I cannot find any mention of AEs or spdif input in the manual other than in the specifications!!- (selective blindness - I can't see dirty dishes in the kitchen sink either!)

Cheers

Hide this!Advertise here!