DCX2496 update problem

Dear Moderators,

I urgently need HELP on the Behringer DCX2496 problem.
I would like to send an Email to "heineb", but it is not possible. The forum software always tells me the following:

vBulletin Message
Sorry but you cannot currently send emails to other members because your account is under moderation. If you are a new user, you will gain full member status after you have made a few posts.

How many posts do I have to make in order to be able to send an email and to get some help ???
Why this ? This is really strange.
It seems to be the only way to posting some "dummy posts" in order to get rid of this strange blocking barrier ??

Best regards,
Werner

Dear Hugo,

thank you very much!!!
This was a very fast reaction, that is really great.

I am really frustrated that this Behringer Ultradrive DCX2496 was "completely killed" by trying to updating the firmware as officially described in the manual.
The hardware is now completely "empty", i.e. without any operating system.
And a reboot or reset does not work, all transmission attempts are interrupted after some seconds although serial COM connection seems to work.

How can Behringer release a product where the implemented software is erased BEFORE the load operation of a software update was successful ?? That's crazy.

Thank you very much, Hugo, for your help making me an active member with email rights !

Best regards,
Werner

After an unsuccesfull Update to 1.16, I followed the advice of a fellow technician just to program the eeprom directly with the 1.16 file.... Silly me, now the unit is completely broken :)

It would be wonderful if one of the guys from the previous posts still had some full-dump backup of the chip (not the single downloadable file from the behringer site, a actual full backup of the chip, gotten with a eeprom reader/writer)..

Thanx a lot guys!!!

It´s a standard AMD 29F040 Eeprom which I used to flash "in the good ol' days" when I was tuning my Yamakawa DVD-Player and messed around with PC-Bioses ("how do I get this fu..... P3 Tualatin to work with my messed up motherboard....") ... :)

Reading and writing my Eeprom seems to work fine, all I am missing is a complete dump of a functional firmware / Bios of a DCX 2496.

Don´t know if different hardware-revisions are around.. My model here is about three years old and the previous owner claimes to had it working with V. 1.16...

Would be great if you could do a complete read-out of your eEprom :)

Ok, I'll have to dig out the programmer, and give it a go. I don't want to mess up my working DCX in the process however, is there a good way of pulling these larger EEPROM chips used in the behringers?

The only ones I have pulled in the past were the smaller squarer type of EEPROM, used in Socket A motherboards. :)

If it's a big DIP it's a big DIP. Just use a small screwdriver and rock it up evenly from both ends, so you don't bend the pins. It's plugging them in where you get crunched pins, so just make sure they're straight before you put it back.

Touch the case first so no zaps.

I'd like to see how this goes since I'm planning on doing dirty things with second hand DCX's...

Ok, I'll have to dig out the programmer, and give it a go. I don't want to mess up my working DCX in the process however, is there a good way of pulling these larger EEPROM chips used in the behringers?

The only ones I have pulled in the past were the smaller squarer type of EEPROM, used in Socket A motherboards. :)
There are some tools for this, but these types are very easy, no special tool is really needed.. A little leveling with a screwdriver and gentle pulling will do the trick, I sometimes take the rear end of a small spoon as lever or bend a paper clip for my needs to lift it out... All you have to watch out for :

do it straight and gentle, so no pins on the IC get bent
watch out for electrostatics (but this of course you already know :) )

Thanx, looking forward to your findings :)
What Eeprom-reader do you have?

There are some tools for this, but these types are very easy, no special tool is really needed.. A little leveling with a screwdriver and gentle pulling will do the trick, I sometimes take the rear end of a small spoon as lever or bend a paper clip for my needs to lift it out... All you have to watch out for :

do it straight and gentle, so no pins on the IC get bent
watch out for electrostatics (but this of course you already know :) )

Thanx, looking forward to your findings :)
What Eeprom-reader do you have?
I've just managed to dig out my Eeprom reader/writer, here it is:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I think it's made by Willem, but I have not used it for a few years so I'm going to test it out on another chip to check it still works removing the DCX chip...

I have not had a chance to do this today, but if I have some spare time tomorrow I should be able to give it a go. :)

Success :)

One of my other DCX 2496 came back "from the road", so I ha da chance to get a full dump of it´s eEprom. This model was a little more recent than the broken one, the differences in hardware seem to be little, from a first glance I couldn´t find a lot thats different.

I flashed the complete 1.16 Firmware dump onto the "broken" eEprom, put it back in the "broken" DCX, started up (including reset) and everything is working again....