Behringer SRC2496

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am looking for a device to raise the input levels into my DEQ & DCX 2496.

Several options are available including a Pre Amp, Di Box, and the Behringer Ultramatch Pro SRC2496 .

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Both the DEQ & DCX are linked via AES/EBU, so I need a device that will convert the consumer levels to pro with out having to build/construct anything, basically I am looking for an off the shelf solution.

Dick

Account Closed
Joined 2001
If you're willing to build something yourself it's an easy/cheap solution. If you need something off the shelf it's going to cost a few bucks. The ones you mentioned should work. There's also this:

http://www.gainesaudio.com/spec444.htm

He used to make a two-channel version of this that was cheaper, but I don't see it listed on the website anymore. Maybe a phone call?

You could also use transformers from somebody like Jensen.

Cheers,

Davey.

Thanks Davey

The Gaines Audio 444 is exactly what I am after but @ US$249 plus shipping, it would cost me as much if not more than the Behringer unit.

The trouble with making a unit, is I doubt whether I could make it to look good in my audio rack, but then again, I suppose looking at the Gains Audio and other units it could be placed behind the rack.

You could also use transformers from somebody like Jensen.

Would these be used in a passive environment?

-10dbv to +4dbu

I think you are asking for a -10dbv (consumer) to +4dbu (pro) converter. Hooking up consumer audio to proaudio generally needs a 12 db boost.

Rane makes a transformer BB22 that is about $140 that does just that.

I have put off purchasing a DCX2496 for that very reason, Behringer says its inputs are servo balanced, I really do not know what that means, but I assume it balances input and output levels when flat (no overall system gain unless wanted). Have you sent a email to behringer about 10dbv level?

I have looked in Behringers user manual (poorly writen) and I see no mention of a -10dbV level.

DBX Driverack PA does have a -10dbV switch built in. Driverack has other problems for me as well.

Do you have problems with your system because of this?

I think you are asking for a -10dbv (consumer) to +4dbu (pro) converter. Hooking up consumer audio to proaudio generally needs a 12 db boost.

That was what the original post was about yes; this unit will do that as well as attenuate the signal.

Slight over kill for the input I agree unless you are not using all the outputs of the DCX2496 then one or two of these I/O's could be used to up the level into the DCX, and use the rest on the outputs for attenuation.

According to the manual each in/out has a control range from full attenuation to +15dB.

Since I was looking for a pro converter, I checked this unit out, and figured for the relatively cheap US$120.00 RRP you can get a 6 channel attenuator.

I have looked in Behringers user manual (poorly writen) and I see no mention of a -10dbV level.

DBX Driverack PA does have a -10dbV switch built in. Driverack has other problems for me as well.

Do you have problems with your system because of this?

I go from my Pre/Pro into the DEQ2496, then via AES/EBU digital into the DCX. They both work fine, I just need a few more dB of boast on the input of the DEQ, and hence a variable unit would be better for me.

This shouldn't be difficult job for a local DIY audio enthusiast. Find someone and have them put together a few parts and you should be all set. Probably no more than 40-50 bucks.

Davey

I am not too bad on basic electronic component construction, I will see if I can find a fairly basic circuit for variable gain that will work with the DCX2496?

This works well as a six channel attenuator:

http://www.decibelhifi.com.au/prod18.htm

Thanks Steve that is what I am using as per your recommendation some time ago, I just thought for some DCX owners the MX882 maybe an alternative that was all.

Dick

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.