Dacmagic Mods - Page 6 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th March 2009, 09:15 AM   #51
diyAudio Member

Yes, I have a Cambridge DAC3 (see photos) with TDA1305Ts.
Use: ostlin(dot)erik(at)gmail(dot)com
Regards,
Erik

Quote:
Originally posted by jimbobjim82
I'm interested Erik. I just tried to email you but it said your contact info has changed.
Attached Files
File Type: zip dac3.zip (93.6 KB, 189 views)
Old 8th June 2013, 11:40 PM   #52
IanAS is offline IanAS  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazdapowered View Post
The other mod made so far is replacing AD712 op-amps with OPA627AUs. This made much more noticable difference with the whole sound just sounding cleaner. Only downside to this that some RF from the digital section is now leaking out, got to come back to this.
I happen to have a couple DAC Magic 2 mk2 just now and so had a look around these forums.

Just in case anyone else is reading this thread, I felt like pointing out that the AD712 is a DUAL op-amp and the 627 is a SINGLE op-amp and so are not pin for pin compatible.

Other helpful threads:
Cambridge audio Dac 3 schematic needed
Cambridge Discmagic & Dacmagic 2 schematics wanted

Last edited by IanAS; 8th June 2013 at 11:44 PM.
Old 9th June 2013, 07:44 AM   #53
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanAS View Post
Just in case anyone else is reading this thread, I felt like pointing out that the AD712 is a DUAL op-amp and the 627 is a SINGLE op-amp and so are not pin for pin compatible.
They can be easily fitted using a BrownDog single to dual op amp adaptor.
Old 9th June 2013, 07:56 AM   #54
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

holy thread resurrection Batman!
Old 9th June 2013, 12:12 PM   #55
IanAS is offline IanAS  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazdapowered View Post
They can be easily fitted using a BrownDog single to dual op amp adaptor.
Thanks Richard, is that what you did? Did you overcome the noise issue you were having?

In one of them, that already had larger transformers, I fitted the 11DQ10 and fed from the PC via an Edirol USB to SPDIF converter it sounded not too bad compared to how I remembered the other one sounding when I had it a few years ago. I can't vouch for any change made by the diodes though as I didn't pay much attention to the DACs sound before I changed them. It was given to me as non working and had a melted transformer. The previous repair man who changed the Tx's had evidently not noticed the problem with the 100nF caps one of which then melted one of his new Tx's. I had a spare 20VA, or so, toroid so I fitted that to the +5V supplies and moved that one over to replace the melted 15V one. As the new Tx's had none, it had also been fitted with somewhat larger internal mains cable, twin core 0.75mm. All the electrolytic caps on that board look brand new OE. I changed the Tx 100nF's, threw the diodes in, gave it a listen, was pleasantly surprised.

The other one appears to have the UA9637ACP fault. As well as a bulging and leaking 3300F cap.

What I might do is move the OE caps to the failed one and sell that as original spec and throw some 'better' parts into the larger Tx'd and 11DQ10'd one and try and sell that as upgraded, though I'm not sure I'll get my money back.

A common fault with both of these DAC Magics was failed 100nF caps across the Tx secondaries, some had failed close circuit and melted the Tx secondaries, hence the replacement with (larger) Tx's. One failed open circuit and cracked and the top half had fallen off. Some had turned into 20K resistors and gone darker in colour. I changed them all on both DACs for 'blue dipped' X7R's.

Last edited by IanAS; 9th June 2013 at 12:41 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!