Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th August 2004, 06:49 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default c'mon guys, lets put our heads together to control a STA310 ac3 decoder

Looking at the datasheet of the STA310, controling it via i2c looks no more difficult that desining an mp3 player with an STA013. I want to design a surround sound DAC, with S/PDIF input, and 3 CS43122 D/A converters on the 3 i2s outputs. I want to use a uC an 8 bit 8051 uC from either phillips or ST Micro. I only know assembly, not c. Datasheet can be found here. Let's put our heads together. This won't be too difficult.
Old 5th August 2004, 08:31 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to filip peters
interesting, if you can buy this whitout having a dolby license, it would be perfect for diy.

Where can you get this in single quantities? I don't want to buy 540 of them just to be able to play around with one.

I quickly glanced over the datasheet, and it's like you describe, this chip, 4 dacs and a small controller and you have a full surround decoder. Only thing missing is dts decoding.

a small board with this chip and the steering logic could be interfaced to any choice of dac: nonos 1541, pcm1738, or your cs choice. yum.

Now where can I get this STA310?

greets,
Filip.
Old 5th August 2004, 09:10 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Wow... great find!
Along with some two TAS3103 and maybe some Equibit amps (or DACs) you'd have a full I2c digital audio setup comparable to any commercial product.
I'm sending an E-mail off to a company called Braemac which is Australian based and a distributor for ST too see if they are able to sell the STA310 or STA013 (I need an mp3 player)
I'll report back when i get a reply
Matt
Old 5th August 2004, 04:49 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Mouser is the cheapest supplier in the US, but they don't have it in stock. I doubt you need a dolby license, because if you did, it would be in the datasheet. XM Radio ICs are hard to get without a license from XM radio.
Old 5th August 2004, 05:43 PM   #5
tiroth is offline tiroth  United States
diyAudio Member

There are a lot more distributors in the US, but none I've seen will sell less than 540. You could try calling arrow.

I've had good luck with Future in the past but I couldn't even locate the part on their site.
Old 6th August 2004, 01:07 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Only hope for a supplier now is Arrow. Mouse requires a large 542 quantity too. If anyone else has any other ideas or know where to get these IC's, please let us know. I'm going to call Arrow tomorrow *crosses fingers* and order two. I also ordered some SMT TQFP adapters so I can use a breadboard for prototyping. It's a TQFP80 package. The uC I plan on using is a uPSD3300 8 bit 8051 MCU and control it via i2c and not it's parallel interface. I want to learn i2c so I can get practice for the XM Radio IC's I have, because the only way to control them is i2c. Any more ideas or suggestions, please post.
Old 7th August 2004, 01:58 PM   #7
Cameron is offline Cameron  United States
diyAudio Member

I checked with STM. You do, in fact, need a Dolby license to get one.

I have mentioned a solution in this forum several times. Though no one seems to be interested. What we need to do it design a 1394 digital audio receiver. The channels are already decoded.
Old 7th August 2004, 10:30 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Damn. I hope I can buy some from Arrow without any problems. If not, there are two other sources. If there are any Pioneer or Sony equipment that has the STA013 in it, you'll be able to order it as a part from Sony or Pioneer. That is how I got the XM Radio ICs and might be the only hope if we can't order from any suppliers. That could be why most sites say to call to order that part.
Old 7th August 2004, 11:40 PM   #9
Cameron is offline Cameron  United States
diyAudio Member

Wouldn't it seem strange if every other chip in existence which contains Dolby technology required a license except this one? And it has Meridian's MLP technology too. That is also a definite license kinda thing.

But I could very well be wrong. The person at ST Micro could have given me bad info. Or perhaps some vendor might screw up and sell you one or two without the license. It sure doesn't hurt to try. And I encourage you to try. Please let us know!
Old 8th August 2004, 02:07 PM   #10
Gyula is offline Gyula  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Gyula
There are some CS49300 and CS49500 series DD decoder at crystal too. Containing a lot of decoding algorythm like Dolby Thanx, etc...

Gyula

Hide this!Advertise here!