c'mon guys, lets put our heads together to control a STA310 ac3 decoder - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th August 2004, 05:55 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Default I FINALLY FOUND A SUPPLIER!!! :)

The supplier is AVNET Electronics. On their site it says 540 minimum order, but if you call them, they have 700 for small quantities. They cost $18 each. For credit card orders there has to be a $50 minimum as well. No stupid dolby license required. The uC I want to use is a uPSD3354 from ST Micro. It's a 8051 so it'll be easy to program for me because I only know 8051 assembly. I also want it because I want to use the i2c interface to control it. All I need is the ST19AF08 and I'll have all the parts I need for the XM receiver as well.
Old 10th August 2004, 06:12 PM   #22
tiroth is offline tiroth  United States
diyAudio Member

Very nice! I have found as well you can sometimes manage to order things you shouldn't be able to. If you are interested in working together on this I would be quite happy to go in on some ICs with you. I am not familiar with 8051 assembly so I may be relegated to assisting with testing while you take the development lead, but if you want help in defraying costs (and perhaps a little test assistance) then perhaps I can contribute.

I guess one of the advantages in a cheap 8051 type controller is you could hard-code the delays and LFE mode in the source and just recompile and reflash for settings changes.

Which TQFP adapter are you using?
Old 10th August 2004, 10:01 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

The only thing I could find is a simple prototyping board from www.twinindustries.com. It'll fit on a TQFP100 prototyping board. I was looking for a TQFP100 or TQFP80 to PGA or DIP, but I never had any luck. I found a TQFP80 to QFP80, and then I can put that on a QFP to DIP or PGA adapter which is easy to find. Aries electronics has them. If you know any other suppliers, please let me know.

Also, www.nuhorizons.com has a dev kit for the uPSD33xx for $270. ST Micro advertises that you can have a working design and working code in under an hour. The dev kit will make it easier for me to design.
Old 11th August 2004, 06:54 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

As for prototyping adapters, it seems best to go to isi and have em custom made. I have Pace soldering equipment, so soldering a 144 or 80 pin QFP is easy. If not, you can get a prototyping socket, but that will cost more money, but it beats burning up an IC if you can't solder that well or don't have the right equipment. This site looks good, and from the pictures, seems to do really nice adapters.
Old 11th August 2004, 04:42 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Is that just a uController dev kit? $270?
Old 11th August 2004, 05:19 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Yes, but comes with everything needed. More info here.
Old 11th August 2004, 05:33 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

It seems overpowered if you just need a uC to shepard the STA310. I mean, you could probably set yourself up to program PICs in C for that much outlay. Are you planning on doing a lot of processing?
Old 11th August 2004, 07:09 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

I want to add a PLED display with buttons for a menu, if this cut of the STA310 won't autodetect the input (see datasheet). I also want to add volume, etc adjustments as well as display some information as well. I probably can use a PIC, but I have no way to program it, and I've never worked with them before, but I have worked with 8051 uC's before. I also want practice because I want to use this uC to control XM radio IC's, which have lots of configuration. I pay $270 for one dev kit and hopefully get two designs out of it.
Old 11th August 2004, 07:48 PM   #29
Gyula is offline Gyula  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Gyula
Yes! It's that!

Programming a PIC18LF242 in C is about a day of work and it can be programmed in "in-circuit" mode because of the flash type internal memories. The erasing and writing takes only a minute, and the C source is easily reviewable, you should only know to program in C! It's easy! I suggest you to learn a little bit, if you could learn the assembly, C is easy. Microchip provides the developing environment and all of the header files you need, containing fully applicable codes for I2C, SPI, A/D converter, LCD control, I/O ports, serial port, timers' control, interrupt handling, etc... Come on!

Gyula
Old 11th August 2004, 07:57 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

I understand assembly, but I have not programmed in C. Besides, you need a uC for XM radio, which is why I'm using it on both projects.

Hide this!Advertise here!