c'mon guys, lets put our heads together to control a STA310 ac3 decoder - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th August 2004, 02:38 AM   #11
tiroth is offline tiroth  United States
diyAudio Member

Gyula, these DSPs do not contain any code, they must be loaded. In contrast, the STA appears to be preprogrammed making it much easier to develop.
Old 9th August 2004, 02:40 AM   #12
Cameron is offline Cameron  United States
diyAudio Member

I still want to know why everyone is ignoring the 1394 digital audio receiver solution? No Dolby anything. Channels already decoded. Should be the same level of difficulty as DSPs.
Old 9th August 2004, 05:12 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

I wanted to do a project entailing design with a microcontroller, the STA310, and the PCM DACs. I wanted to use a PLED display and include a simple menu for input data type if the IC cut I received was not autodetect on the input. The STA310 has everything embedded, and all you need is to connect power, comtrols, input, and output and you have yourself a good surround sound decoder. I wanted something that can do ac3 and MPEG1 with multichannel extentions. It can also do PCM and other MPEG formats as well. I just need to get myself these IC's and I'll be good to go. Since this is a DIY project, maybe they'll let me purchase without a license. I hope.....

I also wanted to design an XM radio receiver with thec STA400 XM Radio SDARS Channel Decoder, and the STA450 XM Radio SDARS Service Layer Decoder, coupled with the ST19AF08, the Conditional Access Processor or some other smart card device. These ICs are easy to get from sony or pioneer as replacement parts, but are $40 to $50 a piece, but you can get them. XM probably would not be happy with people designing receivers, because this can allow service theft, but I have no intention of that, I just want to design my own XM receiver.

If you guys have any ideas about adding different control methods to the decoder, etc, please let me know.

Thanks.
Old 9th August 2004, 02:04 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

I just spoke with Arrow Electronics. They also require a minimum order of 540 units. And a license is definitely required. The guy I spoke with said it doesn't matter if you are not with a company or if it's just for private use.

With the 1394, you still need a microcontroller and DACs. Even room for a DSP if you want to do something special. It is a very similar project where you can actually buy the parts. Since your original idea seems to be unavailable, you might at least consider it.
Old 9th August 2004, 02:26 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Cameron,

Is there a reference design somewhere that you are aware of? I am fairly ignorant of IEEE-1394 audio but I had understood that it is a fairly sophisticated scheme using remote clocking, plus the problems dealing with the asynchronous firewire bus. Does this project mean writing a lot of code, or is there a system-on-a-chip implementation? The former sounds like a vast sinkhole of time with no guarantee of success.
Old 9th August 2004, 02:52 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Yeah, there is this system on a chip. Still looks to be complicated project. The datasheet doesn't cover any practical implementation stuff. Also no demo board. This is beyond my individual skill level. But, as a group, I think we could do it. I have gotten pretty good at PCB layout. That could be my contribution.
Old 9th August 2004, 03:22 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

1. There are no distributors for the LQFP version; the only other package is BGA.

But the big problem is

Quote:
The TSB43CB43 device allows customers that do not require the encryption/decryption features to incorporate iceLynx-Micro without becoming DTLA licensees.
They aren't just giving away the keys to the kingdom; you need a license to access the encrypted audio, which was the entire point of a new communications standard.
Old 9th August 2004, 03:55 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Ah, crap. I missed that part. I had wondered why they would bother to encrypt the audio. Like someone would tap the line and steal the bits? So basically, it's to force you to license.

I love how all this copy protection junk doesn't stop pirating. It only manages to annoy customers and makes things impossible for people like us who just want to make a freakin' dac...
Old 9th August 2004, 04:02 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

I'm really starting to get frustrated here. 540 of the STA310 is about $9k to 10k. I cannot afford that, PLUS afford a dolby license. The only hope is to ask ST Micro for samples or see if any Sony device uses this IC because you could order it as a replacement part. This is how I got the XM radio ICs.
Old 9th August 2004, 09:21 PM   #20
Gyula is offline Gyula  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Gyula
Hi Guys!

I have a lot of work to do nowadays, but last time I saw there is a decoder section in the CS49400 and CS49500 series DSPs. So *only* the post processing algorithms have to be programmed.

Best regards,

Gyula

Hide this!Advertise here!