c'mon guys, lets put our heads together to control a STA310 ac3 decoder

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Looking at the datasheet of the STA310, controling it via i2c looks no more difficult that desining an mp3 player with an STA013. I want to design a surround sound DAC, with S/PDIF input, and 3 CS43122 D/A converters on the 3 i2s outputs. I want to use a uC an 8 bit 8051 uC from either phillips or ST Micro. I only know assembly, not c. Datasheet can be found here. Let's put our heads together. This won't be too difficult.

interesting, if you can buy this whitout having a dolby license, it would be perfect for diy.

Where can you get this in single quantities? I don't want to buy 540 of them just to be able to play around with one.

I quickly glanced over the datasheet, and it's like you describe, this chip, 4 dacs and a small controller and you have a full surround decoder. Only thing missing is dts decoding.

a small board with this chip and the steering logic could be interfaced to any choice of dac: nonos 1541, pcm1738, or your cs choice. yum.

Now where can I get this STA310?

greets,
Filip.

Wow... great find!
Along with some two TAS3103 and maybe some Equibit amps (or DACs) you'd have a full I2c digital audio setup comparable to any commercial product.
I'm sending an E-mail off to a company called Braemac which is Australian based and a distributor for ST too see if they are able to sell the STA310 or STA013 (I need an mp3 player:D)
I'll report back when i get a reply
Matt

Only hope for a supplier now is Arrow. Mouse requires a large 542 quantity too. If anyone else has any other ideas or know where to get these IC's, please let us know. I'm going to call Arrow tomorrow *crosses fingers* and order two. I also ordered some SMT TQFP adapters so I can use a breadboard for prototyping. It's a TQFP80 package. The uC I plan on using is a uPSD3300 8 bit 8051 MCU and control it via i2c and not it's parallel interface. I want to learn i2c so I can get practice for the XM Radio IC's I have, because the only way to control them is i2c. Any more ideas or suggestions, please post.

Damn. I hope I can buy some from Arrow without any problems. If not, there are two other sources. If there are any Pioneer or Sony equipment that has the STA013 in it, you'll be able to order it as a part from Sony or Pioneer. That is how I got the XM Radio ICs and might be the only hope if we can't order from any suppliers. That could be why most sites say to call to order that part.

Wouldn't it seem strange if every other chip in existence which contains Dolby technology required a license except this one? And it has Meridian's MLP technology too. That is also a definite license kinda thing.

But I could very well be wrong. The person at ST Micro could have given me bad info. Or perhaps some vendor might screw up and sell you one or two without the license. It sure doesn't hurt to try. And I encourage you to try. Please let us know!

I wanted to do a project entailing design with a microcontroller, the STA310, and the PCM DACs. I wanted to use a PLED display and include a simple menu for input data type if the IC cut I received was not autodetect on the input. The STA310 has everything embedded, and all you need is to connect power, comtrols, input, and output and you have yourself a good surround sound decoder. I wanted something that can do ac3 and MPEG1 with multichannel extentions. It can also do PCM and other MPEG formats as well. I just need to get myself these IC's and I'll be good to go. Since this is a DIY project, maybe they'll let me purchase without a license. I hope.....

I also wanted to design an XM radio receiver with thec STA400 XM Radio SDARS Channel Decoder, and the STA450 XM Radio SDARS Service Layer Decoder, coupled with the ST19AF08, the Conditional Access Processor or some other smart card device. These ICs are easy to get from sony or pioneer as replacement parts, but are $40 to $50 a piece, but you can get them. XM probably would not be happy with people designing receivers, because this can allow service theft, but I have no intention of that, I just want to design my own XM receiver.

If you guys have any ideas about adding different control methods to the decoder, etc, please let me know.

Thanks.

I just spoke with Arrow Electronics. They also require a minimum order of 540 units. And a license is definitely required. The guy I spoke with said it doesn't matter if you are not with a company or if it's just for private use.

With the 1394, you still need a microcontroller and DACs. Even room for a DSP if you want to do something special. It is a very similar project where you can actually buy the parts. Since your original idea seems to be unavailable, you might at least consider it.

Cameron,

Is there a reference design somewhere that you are aware of? I am fairly ignorant of IEEE-1394 audio but I had understood that it is a fairly sophisticated scheme using remote clocking, plus the problems dealing with the asynchronous firewire bus. Does this project mean writing a lot of code, or is there a system-on-a-chip implementation? The former sounds like a vast sinkhole of time with no guarantee of success.

1. There are no distributors for the LQFP version; the only other package is BGA.

But the big problem is

The TSB43CB43 device allows customers that do not require the encryption/decryption features to incorporate iceLynx-Micro without becoming DTLA licensees.

They aren't just giving away the keys to the kingdom; you need a license to access the encrypted audio, which was the entire point of a new communications standard.

Ah, crap. I missed that part. I had wondered why they would bother to encrypt the audio. Like someone would tap the line and steal the bits? So basically, it's to force you to license.

I love how all this copy protection junk doesn't stop pirating. It only manages to annoy customers and makes things impossible for people like us who just want to make a freakin' dac...

I'm really starting to get frustrated here. 540 of the STA310 is about $9k to 10k. I cannot afford that, PLUS afford a dolby license. The only hope is to ask ST Micro for samples or see if any Sony device uses this IC because you could order it as a replacement part. This is how I got the XM radio ICs.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.