c'mon guys, lets put our heads together to control a STA310 ac3 decoder

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys

It is my understanding that to try this with a chip designed for the newer DD or DTS standards (True HD, master audio) is an exercise in futility, as you will definitely require a license for even integrating one of those ICs into a board...

Or am I wrong?

I was looking at this IC from NXP (Formerly Philips Semi), the TDA19978B, and it looks pretty good, you can even buy single quantities of them in several electronic parts online dealers. Have any of you tried it out yet?

Hey guys

It is my understanding that to try this with a chip designed for the newer DD or DTS standards (True HD, master audio) is an exercise in futility, as you will definitely require a license for even integrating one of those ICs into a board...

Or am I wrong?

I was looking at this IC from NXP (Formerly Philips Semi), the TDA19978B, and it looks pretty good, you can even buy single quantities of them in several electronic parts online dealers. Have any of you tried it out yet?

That looks like a nice chip indeed! (If you can get yours hands on one) Unfortunately the datasheet isn't that detailed (no register map :h_ache: ) But if you can get some more info from the supplier, i'm sure there is quite some interest here. (I also added some headers to update my STA310 at some point :) )

In the end i think it will be hard to get these devices through official channels, as i've tried with some Dolby DSPs 2 years ago without any result.

That looks like a nice chip indeed! (If you can get yours hands on one) Unfortunately the datasheet isn't that detailed (no register map :h_ache: ) But if you can get some more info from the supplier, i'm sure there is quite some interest here. (I also added some headers to update my STA310 at some point :) )

In the end i think it will be hard to get these devices through official channels, as i've tried with some Dolby DSPs 2 years ago without any result.

Hey Horus

For a moment i almost yelled eureka, but then i saw these people (AVNET) have no stock for the part , pity, they were (are?) selling the TDA19977 in single units:

Order hdmi Communication Transceivers Misc Parts Online, Download Datasheets, View Manufacturer Info at Avnet Express

I'll keep looking for it, or any comparable IC...

So true, NXP is known for that. Most of their "fun" chips require NDAs and if you are a nobody then forget it.

Data sheet is no help. What are you trying to figure, power supply regulator selection to run it?

TQFP80 is good for at least 1342mW at 25C according to the TI TMDS341a data sheet.
They also list 70C as 738mW, so I would expect dissipation to be below that level.

That still gives 220mA at 3.3V. It would consume less current at 2.5V. Dissipation would also be a function of the clock frequency the DSP processor ran at.

If I were designing a power supply I'd shoot for 200ma at 3.3V or 140mA at 2.5V

Hello,

I have successfully completed the decoder and it is working great. I used CD4051 as input selector. am using 2 optical and 2 coaxial inputs. i enabled auto detection. i have given mp3 input and dts input to 4051's using 2 dvd players. whenever i change the input i.e to mp3-dts or dts-mp3 am sometimes getting weird non stop white noise. am not getting this all the time. like out of 10 times 4-5 times it fails auto detection and giving white noise as output. what could be the reason? i have tested this with both spdif clock as source for audio pll and internal clock as source for audio pll. same problem exists. is it because of using simple 4051 as switch? do i need to use CS8416 or WM8805 kind of chip for multiple spdif input selection to avoid this problem? other than this the chip works excellently.

If i disable autodetection and select the manual decoder select then if i keep in mp3 mode and give dts stream then also am getting weird white noise. how to avoid this.

thanks in advance.

Hello
I hope someone can help me to solve my problem. I`m building 5.1 decoder on STA310 and I would like to have analog input too. For example from FM Tuner. And I think about connecting ADC(for example PCM1803) to the I2S input of STA310 (pin 37 - DSTRB; pin 41 - SIN; 40 - LRCLKIN; 42 - REQ). But I`ve got problems with connecting it. Could someone help me and tell me how to connect it together? From PCM1803 I`ve got pins: DOUT, BCK, LRCK and SCKI. If I forget write something, please ask me or check in PCM1803 datasheet. Please help me:) Sorry for my bad english.
Thank you
jakblo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.