c'mon guys, lets put our heads together to control a STA310 ac3 decoder

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Go to www.twinindustries.com and click on SMT. Look for the TQFP100 adapter. This is the one I used. I think I'm definately using the uPSD33xx.

On a side note, I'd thought I'd let you guys know about the other things I found. TI sells the PCM2707. This is a USB DAC used primarily for those shitty USB speakers. From the datasheet, one can easily make a kick *** sounding USB sound card. It's fully powered by the USB port and requires some resistors, caps, and a 12.000MHz crystal to make it work. It has analog output one can feed into an op amp for a line driver and also has S/PDIF output to connect to a coax driving circuit or a toslink transmitter. Some buttons for controls and you are set. Comes in TQFP32 and SSOP28 packages. Seems to require standard USB audio drivers that are included in Windows XP. Also PCM2906 has audio and S/PDIF input as well as output. I'm not sure if standard drivers will work for this one, but this one is definately on my project agenda. I'm quite amazed you can have a fairly good quality "sound card" on a single IC with analog and digital inputs and outputs. And all on one IC!! :)

Speaking of one IC, I think I should tell you guys about this I found. It's a NES on one IC!!!!! I am amazed the DIY hackers in hing kong could do this, but they did. I know this does not pertain to DIY audio, it was just so cool that I HAD to show you. You can get a Super 8 at Buyrite Games, remove the IC and use it to design your VERY OWN DIY NES! How great is THAT?! :) His site has NES cart pinouts and such in the NEs section. He even made a portable NES he called a " portendo" which converts the composite video output into RGB plus sync to drive a Nomad LCD screen. This guy is quite a genious as far as DIY goes, but he shares limited information on his projects. He has others too. I plan on designing my own NES with this "NES on a chip" and playing my favorite NES game of all time, Super Mario Brothers 3. I know this has nothing to do with DIY audio, but it's just so cool. :)

BTW, the SMT adapters still never came today, but they should be here within a few hours.

Hi Emuman!

I think if you have the code for 8051 and don't want to program in C, don't waste your time for PIC16 asm.

I dont't know if anybody has experienced troubles with TI sample proram. I ordered samples from TI nine times up to now but the last order hasn't arrived yet. I ordered the samples friday last week, but the my.TI homepage shows: Order in process. At the first eight order the samples were arrived in three days. Does anybody experienced the same thing already?

Gyula

I attach the Ethernet sniffer pcb and source code if you have any mood to use the PIC18. The project is on the www.microchip.com homepage but the pcb is self designed. The pcb file named JDM contains an in-circuit programmer for the uC. It can be connected with the board through an UTP patch cable. The JDM is useable among others with IC-Prog 1.05C free programmer. You also can download the full developing environment for PIC uCs from www.microchip.com. You should settle the MPLAB IDE first and MPLAB C18 second. Then you have the fully operational environment for 30 days. But the time limit can be erased :)
The proba.c is an example code to light one LED on the board. I devoted it for encourage. :) Ask if you have any question!
The four zip files should be unzipped and united with Windows Commander or with DOS copy command.

Gyula

first:

Attachments

• mchpstack001.zip
    98.8 KB · Views: 133
The sample order fault seems to be solved:
"Your Order Needs Approval, because:

You have placed more than the allowed number of sample requests in a six-month period.
This request requires approval by TI. To submit this request for approval, enter an explanation in the box below." :drool:

Gyula

Hi,

I´m still interested in this project. emuman100, contains the STA310 the Dolby decoder or do you have to "fill the chip with life" ?
I´m experienced in C, so it should be no problem to set up the parameters for decoding.

In the meantime I got an Micronas Evaluation Board with the MAS3529 chip including Prologic II and Dolby. DTS is not implemented.:cannotbe:
I tried the board out and it really works well. Programming is via I2C and can be easily done by PC or with a microprocessor.

Sorry, I can´t say if you can get an evaluation board or a chip from Micronas, I only can say I have one.
;)

Greetings
Frank

stereoplay,

With the STA310, everything is internal. Input a multichannel audio signal and it outputs the selected channels. Problem is, I can't really code that well. :) I know 8051 asm, but using a PIC to control it would be plenty. Also, the datasheet is missing some information. S/PDIF input is not documented at all. The parts for the hardware (just the conmponents to power the STA310 and all of it's supporting components) costs well over $100 at digikey. This is just for prototyping. Using a PC to control it would be ideal, but I can't really code any software for it. Right now, I've put the project on the backburner because ST never replied to any of my questions. I'm currently attemping a Nintendo DS to TV converter project where it will take the LCD signals and convert them to analog video that can be displayed on a NTSC TV or RGB monitor. I'm also trying to get S/PDIF output, but the audio processor is undocumented.

any chips like the STA310 that do everything? DPL IIx, DTS Neo:6, DTS-ES, DD-EX, etc... I suppose I'll have to wait until those are obsolete before I'll be able to get ahold of a chip that does them...

Crystal CS49400 looks nice, but I am going to assume there's no way I'll be able to get one

Are people still interested in this project? I'm trying to find an STA310 but am having no luck. Digikey / Mouser / Avnet (I called them too) / Newark / Some othe rone I forgot the name of, they don't have any.

Does anyone have any extras?

I looked on the cirrus web page and for their DTS / AC3 chips you must have a license from the proper people... But as was said earlier, ST doesn't seem to talk about it. I checked the Dolby website, and they seem to require hardware makers (not just the chip makers) to license their junk. I requested more info, but they seem kinda slow...

That might be an option... It seems that a few people were able to get some ST chips because some companies by luck had some. I've tried asking companies for one or two chips for a student project, but they never seem to listen.

I was considering getting an ARM microcontroller and just using some AC-3 code from the net.

It would be very nice to have a decoder with everything built in, or atleast access to the DSP code for a chip where code needs to be downloaded (The Cirrus Logic chip line).

I saw in an Atmel ARM spec sheet at an ARM clocked at 24.? MHz could do AC-3 decoding on the fly... I would assume that meant 2 channels, but I think that could be expanded to more if you up the clock rate. Some of their chips can do 66MHz+.

I'm not a DSP person, so I don't know if the CS or ST CODECs use floating point cores, so it might take an ARM with a FP co-processor for some really good decoding.

today i was speaking to pepople on a local electronic marketplace and they told it's possible to get code from chip for about 15 $ so they told they can disamble dvd or receiver. Tmorrow I will speak them next about getting already programmed DSP chip from a receiver to inspect it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.