DCX2496 and volume control - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd August 2004, 05:29 PM   #1
RogerCl is offline RogerCl  Europe
diyAudio Member

Default DCX2496 and volume control

Hello,

the DCX2496 is a powerful loudspeaker controller. But tests are showing that DCX2496 badly need full input signal level and a better volume control.

Decreasing the volume DCX2496 delivers sound losses. A way to get out of this problem is a good multichannel potentimeter. Has anyone experiences with such potis like this one: http://www.thel-audioworld.de/bauteile/regler/Potis.htm
Text is in German but pictures are explaining something I´m talking of. Channel synchronization is less than 0,5dB, tolerance +-10%.

A next way to adjust volume control is perhaps use of a level control box as the Big Knob by Mackie.
http://www.mackie.com/products/bigknob/index.html

Has somebody used such a level control box?

RogerC
Old 2nd August 2004, 07:22 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Roger,

There are several DCX-threads on the forum discussing exactly this issue. You may wish to read them.

Jan Didden
Old 2nd August 2004, 08:06 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Jan,

yes there are several DCX threads. And I have read many of them. Especially the project of Charley Oehlrich make me hopeful with DCX2496. http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...867#post350867

I´m asking for other diy fellows who have same good results with volume controls in connection with DCX2496.

The volume controller Big Knob by Mackie I haven´t seen yet in the threads. Search function delivers no result.

Roger
Old 2nd August 2004, 08:57 PM   #4
NH7RO is offline NH7RO  United States
diyAudio Member

Default post-dcx volume control

Roger, I'm expecting delivery of my 6 channel post-DCX volume control by Paul Hilgeman in the next few weeks and I'll post my impressions here soon thereafter. If you search Paul's posts you'll find the thread. Cost is around $400 USD and has XLR inputs, RCA outputs (but Paul also offers the plans for this VCA tpe control if you prefer to diy...) and can be made for more than six channels if needed.
Cheers, Jeff
Old 2nd August 2004, 09:19 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Jeff,

thanks for your posting. I´m waiting for your soon coming testing review of Paul Hilgeman´s volume control.

Roger
Old 2nd August 2004, 11:05 PM   #6
Davey is offline Davey  United States
diyAudio Member

Gents,

The volume control Paul is building is a design using Analog SSM2018T VCA chips. You can see the original prototype and design here:

http://home.comcast.net/~dreite/prea...me_control.htm

This unit has been in use with my DCX2496 for many months now and its operation is excellent in my opinion. Totally transparent with excellent useability and "feel."

Cheers,

Davey.
Old 3rd August 2004, 01:27 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

I am using Apox remote controlled switched relay setup. Several threads on this forum

Petter
Old 3rd August 2004, 02:52 AM   #8
sasha is offline sasha  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default DCX2496 and display problem

Little off topic, does anybody know what is the reason for DCX problem with display. What parts needs to be replaced?
Thanks.
Old 3rd August 2004, 06:37 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

The volume control by Paul Hilgeman looks great and in my opinion the VCA solution of Paul should have no problems with channel synchronization (like potis have), because each VCA circuit is identical to the other five.

Roger
Old 26th October 2004, 06:17 PM   #10
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

The other (purely passive) possibility is to use a stepped attenuator. I use a four-gang (only two-way system at the moment) on my DCX2496.

Hide this!Advertise here!