Diy ADC's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: @ 5th element

gentlevoice said:
Hi,

Sounds interesting with your ADC for your soundcard. Would you be interested in sharing e.g. a schematic for your design?

Regards,

Jesper

Well it's very simple really, just the TI implementation from the data sheets.

The ADC is set into slave mode and receives the clocks directly from the sound card.

FMT0 and FMT1 set to accept 24 bit I2S.

FS0, FS1 & FS2 are wired into a three way dip switch, so I can swap between sampling modes. Incidentally it works with 32, 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4 and 192khz in dual rate alone.

The high pass filter, provided to filter out DC is in use also.

You can learn a lot from looking at the design/schematic for the PCM4202's evaluation module too.

The ADC functions fine, all apart from the noise level. It's not 'noisy' as to be noticeable under normal use (depends what your definition of normal is, using Ventrilo/Skype or recording voice etc), but at the moment isn't really useful for ultimate resolution as a measuring instrument.

I'm getting about 0.002% THD on one of the channels and ~0.004% THD+Noise under the best operating conditions.

The noise should obviously be a lot better.

FdW said:
All,

A few weeks ago I did order the A/D converter kit from Uwe Beis

'AD24QS - Audio Analog to Digital Converter 24 Bit / 192 kHz'

Check it out at:
http://www.beis.de/Elektronik/ADDA24QS/AD24QS.html

My kit will be available in this month, and I am going to use it for my balanced(input) riaa preamp. As soon as I have it running I will lett you all know :)

Regards,
Frans.

I have order just the second one whitin two years!

I'm still watching the thread for updates from people that bought the ADC kit ;)

wireland said:
I seriously doubt you can surpass an opamp like the LM4562 with a discrete design within a reasonable timeframe.

How about loosing both those opamps and replacing them with a discrete buffer? Looks to me like one opamp is doing balanced to SE conversion, but I'm not sure what the other one is needed for?? Does the input need some gain?

Any progress?

I received mine begin june.
I'll finished it in about two weeks later, it works right away.
So I'll have two working ADC's
Finaly I found two good looking enclosure for both of them.
After drilling and grinding the holes and place the PCB in it,
it looks nice to see.
I have added for both a gain switch to get 0dB, +3dB and +6dB gain, works fine.

Henk,

Cool to hear that, it¡¦s thus a good prospect for mine ƒº At the moment I am really pressed for time and I was not able to do anything with it until now. My main aim is to get it all build before my holidays. But there is a lot of work to do.

I have to build 3 internal enclosures, then the power supply, the balanced RIAA preamplifier and then the ADC. All has to be tested an mounted in the outer enclosure, and finally I can listen to my new RIAA system (Thorens TD160B, SME3009 and Sure V15XxMR).

It has taken me 2 years to get this far, restoring the Thorens, designing and building a proto type of the RIAA pre amplifier and finally designing the ultimate version of the pre amp and power supply, you can guess, I really looking forward to see and hear it play.

Keep your finger crossed

Anyway, I will let you (and all) know.

Regards,

Frans.

Nice project @Frans.

I use mainly the ADC's, one for the tuner (analog out) the second one for instance the record-player or tapedeck/cassette-deck,
just a bit of "flying-dutchman" because it hasn't a fixed place!

I've already build RIAA (unbalanced) pre-amp the design was from v.Maanen
look at the artikles from www.breem.nl/pgartikelen.htm part 1 part 2 ( the link is; deel 1 and deel 2) in the early 80's.
Two years ago I build a toslink-router 15-inputs and 2 output's with a spdif-channel (build some torriods for the spdif thing).

Recently I designed, calculated and build a Sub(sonic)-Woofer with Plate-Amp,
80L 250W, inside of the BOX is covered with damping material (double layer)
and a port tuned around the resonance freq. of the LS.
As result it delivers a match of flat freq, and very low freqeuncy
responce.

This give's me a good and deep 'LOW',
one of my recordings has a LOW beyond 20Hz and give a feeling if there where a
shock-wave sound from a ram-machine (in dutch, Heimachine) in the neighbour, so natural and so deep sound!

All,

Yesterday morning around 11.00 I collected my soldering gear and box with the ADC components. Yesterday around 16.00 I mounted the last components (the Q&D power supply from scrap components that I salvaged from the hobby room). After another half an hour I had the thing hooked up to the audio system and started listening to the first LP (at 44.1).

And it sounded sweet, at 23.00 I was still listening, the sample rate had gone up to 96k (the first time the Sony TAE9000 ever received that kind of data). One thing is sure, I will be listening very often to the ADC output, and Uwe Beis did a great job designing it.

All components for the board where found in the package that Uwe send me, non was missing, non was extra :) Any one needing a good (my opinion) ADC is advised to have a look at:
http://www.beis.de/Elektronik/ADDA24QS/ADDA24QS.html
I’m loving it.

Now the next thing to do is build my balanced RIAA pre amplifier, the boards have arrived (months ago) one version of it (for a Rosewood cartridge http://www.10audio.com/koetsu_rsp.htm ) has been build for a friend of mine, and it performs excellent (as he did put it). My version will be for a Sure V15VxMR, I will try to build it in the coming few weeks.

Regards,
Frans de Wit

Finished (almost) :)

All,

This is it, the first sample. 35 seconds of Andreas Vollenweider I hope you like it. Many more pictures of the (almost) finished product can be found on

RIAA Preamplifier - a set on Flickr

Let me know what you think of it.

Regards,

Frans.

P.s. The 96/24 files are a bit large and no significant portion could be attached, if there is interest in the original audio, then I need a web/ftp location (not available at the moment).

4178269103_9d96c9e584.jpg

4179881356_2401540271.jpg

Attachments

• Vollenweider, Behind the gardens - short.zip
    946.5 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.