Behringer DCX2496 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th May 2004, 03:03 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Behringer DCX2496

Hi...

I see there are some threads here regarding the Behringer DCX2496, I have downloaded the manual, but it doesn't answer all my questions. I kind of figured if I asked here some kind soul who has one might be able to answer them for me.

The application is being used on the sub out of my pre/pro.

I have 4x subs in my room. This unit I am hoping will assist with better integration. The subs only have 0/180 phase control, I read that the DCX2496 has variable phase per output, thereby helping with cancellations etc.

The thing I can't figure out is the freq range of the xovers. I would like to use one the unit as a subsonic filter for 1 of my subs at around 20hz, the manual does not state what range the xovers cover and if one can be used as a subsonic filter as is stipulated in their cheaper CX2310

All help appreciated...
Old 18th May 2004, 08:08 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Okay, I downloaded the program from Behringer for the DCX2496; I see from this that the bottom freq is 20 Hz...

Does not appear to have a subsonic filter built in, I guess I would have to use 20 Hz and use 24dB slope, does anyone know if this will cover the octave down to 10Hz?

This will be feeding into a BFD1100P & also a DEQ2696, could I use balanced connections between the units and unbalanced for input of the DCX and output of the EQ's, or is it not a good idea to mismatch the inputs & outputs?
Old 20th May 2004, 05:36 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

If you set a 24dB high pass filter at 20Hz it would be 24dB down at 10Hz. If you don't need this much attenuation, you could use different slope.

Alternatively, the DCX has what they call 'Dynamic' filters or limiters. What this means is that if the signal is below a certain level, there is no attenuation, but if it gets higher in level it will bring in a filter to protect the speaker.

The advantage of this is that you don't automatically cut all lower frequencies when it might be perfectly safe to play them.

Cheers

Steve
Old 20th May 2004, 06:52 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks Steve...

That was exactly what I was looking for.

There has been talk that these units don't have the ability to accept the low level input from home audio gear, unlike other Behringer equipment which either has a switch or automatically adjusts. Do you know if this is the case?

Thanks again for the information...

Richard
Old 20th May 2004, 03:12 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

All these pro units can accept the signal, but they are set up for higher fixed input signals, ie from a mixing desk. To get the theoretical best signal to noise you should keep the input level as high as possible. This means turning your preamp up as high as you can which usually means attenuating the signal before your power amps.

Cheers

Steve
Old 20th May 2004, 06:59 PM   #6
markp is offline markp  United States
diyAudio Member

They have balanced inputs as used on pro and high-end gear. You will find that unbalanced consumer levels are about 6DB lower than pro levels. Use a unbal to bal converter to get a propper level in and out.
Old 20th May 2004, 09:55 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Is there such thing as a line driver in home audio?
Old 21st May 2004, 12:05 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the info Steve & Mark...

I have decided to get one of these, and sell the other 2x EQ's I have as this unit looks like it will control all my needs for the subs.

And Seth I am curious as well, there must be some kit or other available, as pro gear is getting coupled more and more with consumer gear.
Old 21st May 2004, 08:43 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Okay the good news is I have ordered the DCX2496...

The bad news probably be about a week for delivery.

At least it will give me time to think up a good excuse why I spent the money

Thanks again guys...
Old 21st May 2004, 03:03 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Im finising my tree way speakers and thinking seriously to go active.

My question is if its possible to use the DCX (or whatever else crossover, analogic or digital) without having measurement instrumental (like micro, ....). Just "tunning" it by ear.
RANE manual insist always on using a micro to get the right setting.

Sorry to tell you that the news Ive heard about DCX arent good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg begonte 1.jpg (35.9 KB, 2171 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!