Behringer DCX2496

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi...

I see there are some threads here regarding the Behringer DCX2496, I have downloaded the manual, but it doesn't answer all my questions. I kind of figured if I asked here some kind soul who has one might be able to answer them for me.

The application is being used on the sub out of my pre/pro.

I have 4x subs in my room. This unit I am hoping will assist with better integration. The subs only have 0/180 phase control, I read that the DCX2496 has variable phase per output, thereby helping with cancellations etc.

The thing I can't figure out is the freq range of the xovers. I would like to use one the unit as a subsonic filter for 1 of my subs at around 20hz, the manual does not state what range the xovers cover and if one can be used as a subsonic filter as is stipulated in their cheaper CX2310

All help appreciated...

Okay, I downloaded the program from Behringer for the DCX2496; I see from this that the bottom freq is 20 Hz...

Does not appear to have a subsonic filter built in, I guess I would have to use 20 Hz and use 24dB slope, does anyone know if this will cover the octave down to 10Hz?

This will be feeding into a BFD1100P & also a DEQ2696, could I use balanced connections between the units and unbalanced for input of the DCX and output of the EQ's, or is it not a good idea to mismatch the inputs & outputs?

If you set a 24dB high pass filter at 20Hz it would be 24dB down at 10Hz. If you don't need this much attenuation, you could use different slope.

Alternatively, the DCX has what they call 'Dynamic' filters or limiters. What this means is that if the signal is below a certain level, there is no attenuation, but if it gets higher in level it will bring in a filter to protect the speaker.

The advantage of this is that you don't automatically cut all lower frequencies when it might be perfectly safe to play them.

Cheers

Steve

Thanks Steve...

That was exactly what I was looking for.

There has been talk that these units don't have the ability to accept the low level input from home audio gear, unlike other Behringer equipment which either has a switch or automatically adjusts. Do you know if this is the case?

Thanks again for the information...

Richard

All these pro units can accept the signal, but they are set up for higher fixed input signals, ie from a mixing desk. To get the theoretical best signal to noise you should keep the input level as high as possible. This means turning your preamp up as high as you can which usually means attenuating the signal before your power amps.

Cheers

Steve

Thanks for the info Steve & Mark...

I have decided to get one of these, and sell the other 2x EQ's I have as this unit looks like it will control all my needs for the subs.

And Seth I am curious as well, there must be some kit or other available, as pro gear is getting coupled more and more with consumer gear.

I´m finising my tree way speakers and thinking seriously to go active.

My question is if it´s possible to use the DCX (or whatever else crossover, analogic or digital) without having measurement instrumental (like micro, ....). Just "tunning" it by ear.
RANE manual insist always on using a micro to get the right setting.

Sorry to tell you that the news I´ve heard about DCX aren´t good.

Attachments

• begonte 1.jpg
    begonte 1.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 2,274
Hi Spearmint,

I´m thinking to buy a custom made active crossover for my speakers, from a guy that make electronic equipment like power amplifiers, phono RIAA, and so...
You can visit his page about active filters:
http://www.pcpaudio.com/filtros/filtros.html

(sorry, only in spanish)

He tolds me Behringer use VERY BAD analogic parts on DCX. Thats would explain the very low price for that digital crossover. He speaks much better about the components on RANE and BSS crossovers.

I can´t tell you anymore because I didn´t hear any crossover yet, I´m just giving my first steps to active, but there must be sound differences between good and bad capacitors, don´t you think so?

Feel free to have a look to my two way project, the RamoNET@II:

www.pcpaudio.com/pcpfiles/proyectos_altavoces/RamoNET2/RamoNET2 .pdf

Thank you ramonramonet, for the reply...

Hmmmm is not good about the analogue side as this is what I will be using.

I am hoping because I am only using it for my subs it may not be such a problem.

I am trying to access those 2 links you provided, but they are taking an awful long time to open...

Thanks

Richard

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
ramonramonet said:
[snip] He tolds me Behringer use VERY BAD analogic parts on DCX. Thats would explain the very low price for that digital crossover. He speaks much better about the components on RANE and BSS crossovers.
[snip]

Well, I would be very reluctant to base my purchase decisions on such an off-hand remark. What are those 'bad' components? There are many factors determining sales prices, and component cost, while not unimportant, are only part of the story. Also, the sound quality of a piece of equipment is the integral of the total design, not just the sum of the components.
Do yourself a favor and try to do some listening tests, or get a broader opinion base.

Jan Didden

Thanks janneman

I am still going ahead with the purchase, I wasn't going to cancel it because of ramonramonet post, and thanks for the great input. I currently use both a Behringer BFD & DEQ, on my subs and haven't had any audio issues.

Now pinkmouse...

the main annoyance I had with it was an absolutely huge turn on thump...

This has me intrigued, as it will be connected to 4 subs.

Hi again Richard,

I didn´t try to stop on your purchase of DCX.
I just wanted with that "innocent" commentary, to listen other impressions about something that has been discussed in Spain about the sound quality of DCX: their analog parts used on it and their final influence on sound.

In other words, try to open a discussion about that issue. Maybe in a wrong thread about DCX, and I apologize to you in that case.

You are right about the sound differencies must be bigger on highs and mids than lows, and I´m sure you are going to enjoy your purchase with the subs. So please go ahead and let us know how is it going. ¡ Buena suerte!

Try to get the site in this other link: http://www.pcpaudio.com/

Hi Jan,
thanks for your lovely and too obvious reply. But you didn´t realized that what I was trying to do with my commentary is getting a broader opinion on that issue, broader than the spanish limits.

I don´t want to listen a crossover on other equipment differet than mine. Maybe in your country is pretty common to get your speakers of more than 50 kilograms (see my picture), your three power amplifiers and a preamp, put everything on the car, get a parking right on the door of Berhinger distributor and have a listenning session on the DCX. In mine... NOT!
Before to do that I wanted to listen others impressions different than already there are in Spain. What better than diyAudio Forum?

With your comment about "the sum of the components..." you seems to know (and agree) that the quality of some DCX parts could be much better. Or can you give another explaining for such a low price?. Your nice reply even tells me that you can be a dealer of Behringer in your country, aren´t you?.

Please, do yourself a favor and don´t waste your time giving replys to a novice like me.

Ramón Rosales
Begonte. Madrid.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.