Behringer DCX2496

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It is very helpfull to have all you guys helping me with my problem.
Let me clear this out so we could learn possibly from my mistakes. I used DEQ mostly for optical to AES/EBU conversion. I bypassed all of the controls. There is global level control in the Utility panel. I set it at -4dB.
Than I have AES/EBU digital input at DCX Input Gain at 0 dB. At output channels I do not use any EQs, only slight delay and polarity control and my levels are set for thre channels: 0dB; -2dB; -1dB; stereo linked. From output of DCX I am sending signals to Marantz receiver analog 6.1 inputs and taking them out from 6.1 pre outs to 3 sets of strereo power amps without any attenuators. Maranz doesn't make any amplification. It acts just as attenuator and passes the signals. Even if I take Maranz out of loop and use just for test on 2 channels my pasive attenuator, I have the same problem. Even if I dial down attenuator to very low output, I have ugly clipping and distorsion, obviously coming from DEQ and DCX.
As I explained, I connected coax Toslink through the RCA/XLR converter directly as input in DCX from my CD, thinking that maybe DEQ is doing something wrong, and to take it out of the loop. Obviously this is not the best way to do it because there is impedance missmatch between Toslink and AES/EBU, but what a heck, I just hoped to conclude that DEQ was doing something wrong. The same thing is happening - the signal is constantly in that upper region at the input and with almost any stronger bass note it clips and goes in red zone or over 0db. Simultaneusly with that it clips at output channels. My feeling is that with clipping at the input the distorsion is happening right there, and it could be just worst down the line. I am thinking that by bring optical signal straight from the drive and without any gain at the input I should be fine. Certainly I could dial down input gain, but isn't that something that we try to avoid in order to preserve the resolution. I even tried that down to -6dB, and still clipping occationally occur. Lets forget on output for a moment (amp, Marantz...) don't you agree that optical or coax signal straight from tha CD do not suppose to drive this so close in clipping region all the time?
I am puzzled here, but it is quite possible that I am doing something wrong.
Thank you all
AR2

OK: stick to the Sony player for the moment,

1. run the DEQ without the DCX, use passive attenuator. Audible clipping?

2. look at the DEQ peak/rms meter (Fig 3.33 in the manual); what are the actual peak readings on the RHS of the display? Input and output?

3. run a test CD at 0dB, -10dB, -20dB sine waves. What are the actual peak readings on the DEQ meter, input and output? (If you don't have these exact levels on your test CD, use whatever you have).

4. connect DCX analog input to the DEQ analog output. Audible clipping? Use a volt meter to measure the AC/rms analog output from the DCX with this setup and the test CD sine waves as above. Is the -20dB sine wave voltage one tenth of the 0dB sine wave?

5. connect DCX digital input to the DEQ digital output. Use voltmeter as above. Same output voltage from the DCX as in step 4?

I think this data will help us find the problem.

OK, this sounds like a good plan. Problem is that I do not have a test CD with me, but I could make one out of software noise generator.

OK but first check that the clipping happens with the same music CD as before, played through the PC. I am assuming your sound card has SPDIF output?

Test CD is better as it uses your actual music player. Test CD's are cheap and generally useful, well worth getting one. Available over the internet too.

OK...
Interesting findings.
I got the test CD (as you suggested and to share a proper test with everyone) and I made measurment on DEQ2496. DEQ has very cappable and precise metering. DCX behave in the same manner. Gain offset was set at 0dB and everything was bypassed.
With analog signal on the input of the unit there is discrepancy of -12dB peak, -15.3dB RMS.
In another words what supose to be -10dB on the test CD measures -22dB peak at the input or output of DEQ. Measured voltage at 0 dB from CD and -12; -15.3dB at DEQ is 2.3V RMS at the analog output.
With digital signal at the input coming from CD there is very small difference: -0.3dB peak and -3.6dB RMS. -6dB signal on test CD measures at DEQ -6.3 peak. At -6dB at DEQ unit clips and measurement at the analog out is 4V RMS.
Please let me know what do you think and if you want me do try something else.
AR2

OK AR2, in terms of the 5 tests I suggested in post #102, I get the following answers from your post #106:

ANS: not reported (this is to see if the DEQ is cause of clipping with your music CD, or is it the DCX)

2. look at the DEQ peak/rms meter (Fig 3.33 in the manual); what are the actual peak readings on the RHS of the display? Input and output?

ANS: not reported (this is with the same test setup as 1. and the same music CD that causes the clipping sound)

3. run a test CD at 0dB, -10dB, -20dB sine waves. What are the actual peak readings on the DEQ meter, input and output? (If you don't have these exact levels on your test CD, use whatever you have).

ANS: with digital CD=>DEQ, there is no clipping (-0.3dB peak), and ditto with analog CD=>DEQ (-12dB peak). Conclusion: the DEQ is not clipping at its input at any time. So far so good.

But what is the OUTPUT meter reading on the DEQ's display, with digital hookup to CD and 0dB and -10dB CD test tracks? We need this data, especially as you wrote "At -6dB at DEQ unit clips". How did you know this, by listening (without the DCX of course) or by measuring? This makes no sense unless you have somewhere applied a 6dB gain level within the DEQ. This is further backed up by your analog output reading of 2.3Vrms with an input of -12dB; I doubt the DEQ has12dB headroom in the analog output above 2.3V, which would equate to 9.2Vrms. I could be wrong, but you said it starts clipping (or misbehaving) at 4Vrms. This is only 4.8dB above 2.3V, yet you increased the input by 6dB, so yes maybe the output is clipping.

4. connect DCX analog input to the DEQ analog output. Audible clipping? Use a volt meter to measure the AC/rms analog output from the DCX with this setup and the test CD sine waves as above. Is the -20dB sine wave voltage one tenth of the 0dB sine wave?

ANS: not reported.

5. connect DCX digital input to the DEQ digital output. Use voltmeter as above. Same output voltage from the DCX as in step 4?

ANS: not reported.

Tentative conclusion: there is 6dB of gain occurring in the DEQ. Needs double checking with the DEQ's internal meter set to output level. However, this is not consistent with your report in post #91 that the DCX overloads in the same way without the DEQ installed.

A little more data from steps 1, 2, 4 and 5 might also help. I know it's a pain.

PS in post 106 you said "everything was bypassed". IIRC the "BYPASS ALL" function only bypasses the analog input to the analog output; it is ineffective with digital in/out. If you want to turn off the processing modules, select "BYPASS MODULE" for each module separately. Even then, you may notice there is no specific mention of bypassing the gain levels (although one hopes it does), so you might want to set gain to 0dB as a precaution.

I am sorry that I didn't do it exactly as you requested. I had a short time after I got CD, and I wanted to report these results first. I was very curious to see the difference between analog and digital signal coming into the unit. For your question input and output reading on DEQ are the same since I have all modules bypassed.
I will do it over tomorow, as requested.

No clipping with digital or analog signal in.

By playing CD that has vey loud parts and that always clipps peaks were with analog input at -3.4dB at input and output. With digital signal coming in it peaked at -0.1 dB input and output. Input and output readings were same on all tests. Every module was bypassed.

Analog input:
-20dB reads -23.6dB input and outputs and measures 0.2V
-10dB reads -13.6dB input and outputs and measures 0.63V
0dB reads -3.5dB input and outputs and measures 2.0V

Digital input:
-20dB reads -20dB input and outputs and measures 0.88V
-10dB reads -10dB input and outputs and measures 2.7V
0dB reads -0.1dB input and outputs and measures 8.9V

Obviously all the readings are done from analog output of DEQ. There is also a switch in the back of DEQ that attenuate the output signal -10dB but it works only on analog output. With that pressed,
everything reads -10dB from above readings.

Analog in to DEQ analog out to DCX - No audible clipping:
No clipping
-20dB measures 0.18V
-10dB measures 0.62V
- 0dB measures 2.0V

Digital in DEQ analog out to DCX - Yes audible clipping:
-20dB measures 0.94V
-10dB measures 2.98V
0dB measures 9.26V

Analog in DEQ digital out to DCX - slite clipping:
-20dB measures 0.61V
-10dB measures 1.96V
0dB measures 6.2V

Digital in DEQ digital out to DCX - Yes audible clipping:
-20dB measures 0.90V
-10dB measures 2.87V
0dB measures 9.1V

I hope this shows all you need. Please let me know if you want me to do any other measurements.
Thank you
AR2

OK, here goes. (I hope the other posters on this thread can chip in with their conclusions, too.)

It mostly looks like good news. The output voltages from the DCX at 0dB are 10x larger than at -20dB, so there is no obvious compression indicating clipping.

The 9.26Vrms output voltage from the DCX at 0dB is +21.6dBu, very close to the spec sheet's +22dBu. Good. None of this indicates any clipping.

In step 1 you said the clipping disappears if the DCX is removed and you listen with DEQ only. This suggests the input to the DEQ and its analog output are not to blame. I thought maybe its the DEQ digital output, but in step 4/5 you got audible clipping with DEQ analog output to DCX, so it's not the DEQ digital output either.

Step 2 simply showed the DEQ was correctly "zeroed" internally. (I just wanted to make sure.)

In step 3 I am not sure why, if the DEQ output voltages are 12.9dB (voltage ratio of 4.4) lower with analog input, the input levels are not 12.9dB lower. They only measure 3.5dB lower. But I cannot connect this discrepancy to your problem. Help, anyone?

Conclusion: I'm not sure! Given that step 1 absolved the DEQ, and step 4/5 shows uncompressed outputs from the DCX even when audibly misbehaving, I think your DCX may have a fault. And it's not in the input circuit, because it happens with both analog and digital input.

You haven't tried uploading the DCX software from their website? It is possible to get it wrong when doing this.

Comments from any other posters? That's about it from me.
Grant

I have been using both the DEQ and the DCX for a while now. I use digital connection between them. For the past month or so I had my trusty scope plugged into both units in the effort to make some sense out of the many options available in the software of both the DCX and the DEQ. I use signal generator as an analog source for test purposes and I can readily observe the levels of the signals on the scope. Well, I must say that the specifications as given in the manual for both units are dead on.

I also, like AR2, observed the clipping as displayed on the input indicators of the DEQ and the DCX when the optical SPDI/F signal from a common CD Player is used as an input to the DEQ. However, that does not result in the clipping of the ANALOG output signal on EITHER the DEQ or the DCX as observed on the scope or heard through my speakers.

The reason for it has already been addressed by Jan Didden. The digital signal coming through the SPDI/F can easily has the maximum value of all 1s or be very close to it, which will correspond to the 0 dB level. Many CDs are actually recorded that way. The input indicators on both the DCX and the DEQ will light up RED at about 1-2 dB below the 0 dB level. Does it mean the output is clipping? No. In any event it is not the fault of the Behringer boxes.
Another point to keep in mind here is that the internal limiter of the DEQ is ALWAYS on and cannot be defeated; - it should help with any overdriven analog input. In any event, it seems to me that there might be a problem with AR2s DCX box.

I recommend that the limiters on the DCX be turned ON and set to 0 dB threshold. Can you still hear clipping?

Also, even if the input indicators go RED, I am sure that the output indicators on the DCX do not go RED or, at the very least, they should not go RED. If they do, that would indicate a problem to me.

You see, the input indicators average the input signal and use that value to see the level of the input signal. The output indicators are band-limited and, as such, their absolute signal level is expected to be lower then the averaged level of the input signal. The output clipping will only occur if the input signal level is actually above the specified +22 dBu. I am not talking about the discrete sine waves here. They will in fact clip the output if the input is set to +22 dBu. However, with you typical music material, the average signal level will have to be higher then the 22 dBu for the output indicators to show clipping, or so this has been my experience.

Here is what I did recently; - I input a boosted analog signal from my CD Player into the DCX. I used a Bryston pre-amp to boost the signal to about 12 Volt peak and input that into the DCX. I observed a very occasional RED indicator from the output LEDs, while the input indicators were pretty much RED all the time. With limiters set to ON on the DCX, no clipping was heard from the speakers, no seen on the scope.

Well, I hope it helps.
Vadim

I think that we are coming to good conclusion.
I agree with all you guys explained, especially with the last post from Vadim. I do think that maybe my DCX is damaged.
I have DEQ almost a year and never had this kind of a problems. Yes it is correct that majority of CDs are recorded so they reach -0dB and it is correct that that never produces any clipping down the line.
I purchased DCX about twoo weeks ago, and I noticed this problem from very begining. I updated the firmware to the latest version without any problems, hoping to solve the problem.
It is a weird clipping that goes on. DCX's analog output never reaches red zone, far from it. Even with almost maximum attenuation in front of the amps, heavy distorsion sound goes to the speaker, which obviously pointing problem to the DCX. With analog in there is no problem. With digital signal attenuated at input to about -7dB usually solves the problem.
I did tried limiters at about -6dB setting and they are doing fine job, the only problem is that they are in use almost all the time, which kills the dynamics a lot. In that case I was better of just lowering the volume.
I think I will take my unit to exchange for another one. I will let you know what is the verdict.
Thank you all very much
AR2

There is a lot of good educational reading here.

I still only have my DCX hooked up to the 5x subs, fed digital via the DEQ as others have, so I haven't intergrated it with the mains yet.

I emailed our local Behringer office, and asked if I could beg, borrow or steal a schematic of the DCX, so I am hoping for an answer early next week.

Don't go holding your breath, as others have said, Behringer do not make these available, but hey I figured nothing ventured nothing gained...

Hi to all DCX2496 owners,

Is there anybody who is interested in the Oehlbach mod:

http://freerider.dyndns.org/anlage/Behringer-Input-Stage-E.htm

I bought 4 of them, 2 for a friend of mine and 2 for me. Due to a misunderstanding my friend doesn’t want to have the mods any more. So there are two left. I’m pretty happy with the mod. You can hear noticeably more details.
The price for one PCB plus all components is 75 Euro. Assembled and tested you can have one mod for 85 Euro plus shipping costs.

Please send me an Email when you are interested.

Hi, someone have a Bodzio software called soundeasy ?????, where can download?, work for DCX2496 ?. whait for comments, best regards.
Soundeasy is a comercial speaker design software package, similar to LpCad or Speaker Workshop.
You can buy a copy @ Parts Express for example.Soundeasy @ Parts express
I have Soundeasy. While its capable of programing the DCX2496, the capability is rather limited. Basically, you build the crossover in Soundeasy using active filter elements that the DCX2496 supports, then download it. Its easier to program the DCX through the windows interface.
Soundeasy will also simulate passive crossovers, using a multi-channel sound card. I have never tried this, but it looks interesting and is my backup if the DCX2496 stops working.

Hope this helps

Doug

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.