The Pass D1 For Tda1543 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th April 2004, 06:38 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Thumbs up The Pass D1 For Tda1543

Quote:
Originally posted by Andypairo

C'mon Stefano,
don't be shy!
This topic deserves a thread of his own, so.. just post it

Cheers

Andrea
Thanks Andrea!!!!

So... it is ... here.

What can I say?

a: I didn't ask Nelson Pass for copyright problem but since the design is modified , they should not exist BTW Thanks Nelson!

b: leave out vref resistor

c: once set up is done , nothing changes if you change the VCC at the 1543;

d: like c , nothing changes if you decide to parallel the 1543; in this regard to obtain ,IMHO ,great results with 2 1543 in parallel is simple: great dynamics.

e: it sounds like a single TDA1543 would enjoy a bigger source resistor , but this is another matter.

f: IRF630 is used by me for comfort , and I believe IRF610 will pay better in performance.

g: cascode is not a gain stage.

I do not know if something is missing , but guys ... take a look at the schematic , isn't it simple?

I'd say... YES!!!

Attached Images
File Type: gif d1 for 1543.gif (4.9 KB, 3961 views)
Old 26th April 2004, 06:50 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default ..here we are...

And now... some questions!

Did you compare it with passive i/v or other output stages?

Can it work with TDA1545 (which has different output current BTW)?

Did you use the D1 supply (don't know if its schematic is available but think so)?

Cheers

Andrea
Old 26th April 2004, 07:00 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

- since the simplicity of the circuit is up to you decide what is your favourite , but Yes it is compared with the single resistor at the output ...

- YES but you may want to adjust the drain resistor for gain

- I use a power supply like BOSOZ but scaled down for +/- 30 Volt
Old 27th April 2004, 01:12 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Re: The Pass D1 For Tda1543

Quote:
Originally posted by stefanobilliani

g: cascode is not a gain stage.
Old 27th April 2004, 11:30 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi!
This is very nice I must say.
Few questions- You have mentioned to leave out vref resistor. I don't see that one in schematic. Also what power supply did You use for powering TDA1543 chip (voltage also please).
regards
daniel

edit: One more thing- I think that TDA1543 like to have 0V at his output and not 2V?! Am I wrong?
Old 27th April 2004, 12:47 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default Wrong

edit: One more thing- I think that TDA1543 like to have 0V at his output and not 2V?! Am I wrong?

Yep you're wrong, but the TDA1541A does not like DC on its output, the TDA1543 has lots of DC on its output in most of the passive I/V DACs, anyone know how closely related these two DACs are?

Mozfet
Old 27th April 2004, 01:04 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: The Pass D1 For Tda1543

Quote:
Originally posted by rfbrw

I quote MR Pass from a Passlabs thread:

Quote:
Originally posted by Nelson Pass
I have a current working definition of what constitutes a
gain stage - it is a stage with voltage or current gain, and I
don't count cascodes with no current gain.

Old 27th April 2004, 01:07 PM   #8
Bricolo is offline Bricolo  France
diyAudio Member

But where's the cascode here

I don't see a cascode in your circuit, nor in Pass Labs original D1 one (the second transistor is a buffer, not a cascode)
Old 27th April 2004, 01:22 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sparkle
Hi!
This is very nice I must say.
Few questions- You have mentioned to leave out vref resistor. I don't see that one in schematic. Also what power supply did You use for powering TDA1543 chip (voltage also please).
regards
daniel

By "leave out the vref resistor" I meant just to let the pin 7 of 1543 disconnected.
You may use what power supply you want from 5 to 9 volts , the source pin will be stable at 2 volts ,regardless of the variations of voltage at pin 5 of tda1543.
BTW I am using 8 volts and 2 tda1543 in parallel / phase .In the sense that the dac is balanced at the moment and counts 4 dacs in total.I will post a block diagram of it soon if it is of interest.

The power supply is a discrete op amp -take a look at the Pearl ONO- followed by a current source or jfet source follower.I have an unregulated supply about 30 volts.
The discrete op amp is at 12volts . The current source eat up at least 4 volts . But i am still in making decisions about it.

For the TDA1541A you trim the source for 0 volts , and use the ORIGINAL PASSLABS circuit.

For the TDA1543 not 0volts but 2,0 or higher voltage .

I also will try soon the circuit with the 1545A.
Old 27th April 2004, 01:26 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Wrong

Quote:
Originally posted by mozfet

Yep you're wrong, but the TDA1541A does not like DC on its output, the TDA1543 has lots of DC on its output in most of the passive I/V DACs, anyone know how closely related these two DACs are?

Mozfet
The main difference (apart from the circuit refinement) is that the TDA1543 (and1545) use a single supply, while the TDA1541 uses a dual supply for the analog section.
Since the output section of these DACs is made of current sources/sinks it is not possible for the single supply chips to have 0V on their output (at least while working ).

Hope this clears things a little.

Cheers

Andrea

Hide this!Advertise here!