PCM1710 (or equivalent) in parallel

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks for reply.

I see many projects putting in parallel DAC (TDA1543 just to mention one).

Or TDA1541 or PCM63:
Who stacked PCM63 ?

I think (TDA1543) the main reason for paralleling is to improve current capability, lower the output resistor and make so a good passive IV stage.

Anybody who did this, heard anyway a large listening improvement.

My purpose (just thinking to the logic which appears correct to me), is that bit error and noise should compensate and cancelling each other when you put more DAC in parallel. THD would result lower I suspect.

I don't care about current or load output capability (should I?) as I will use for sure an IV OPamp stage.

So my question is if I can put (may be sharing some output resistors) two PCM17xx DAC in parallel, as this will be soon my next DIY project.

With multibit DACs like PCM63 or TDA1543 there is definitely some hope of benefit as their performance (at least in measured terms) is a function of how well the internal resistors match, and that matching is improved by averaging (which is what happens when two are paralleled).

PCM1710 though isn't using the same internal architecture - its a sigma-delta DAC. If its using a multi-bit internal architecture it'll have some kind of DWA to turn the bit-weight errors into broadband noise. Hence there's no element mis-match which can be averaged away by paralleling.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.