MAPLIN / LINDY DAC problem with TOSLINK from HDMI

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all. Looking for ideas here:
I picked up a couple of DACs and a HDMI Audio Extractor via the Maplin clearance.
So it's basically
a) a rebadged LINDY DAC
https://www.lindy.co.uk/downloads/145769550420376v2.pdf

b) what looks to be the same as the inexpensive Fiio DAC (D03K IIRC)

c) Maplin HDMI Audio extractor - to Analogue RCA / TOSLINK (with HDMI thru)

Testing is all good EXCEPT with HDMI from a tablet (HUDL2) into the HDMI extractor : TOSLINK out into 'LINDY' DAC gives no sound.

Same TOSLINK signal into 'Fiio' DAC works as expected.

HDMI Extractor RCA outputs work fine.

So looks like problem with 'LINDY' TOSLINK input -
BUT it works fine with different TOSLINK source (to be specific SPDIF signal from SSL Mixtreme DSP Audio card in PC via Co-Ax to TOSLINK converter widget) This tested at upto 96kHz.

Both DACS spec'd to work upto 192kHz on TOSLINK. (fyi LINDY USB limited to 96kHz)
Same TOSLINK cable in both cases.
Same RCA leads used - just switched from respective RCA outputs of all three units.

I did wonder if HDCP related. Got HDMI splitter which is supposed to 'strip' HDCP but no difference.

So basically the 'LINDY' DAC is ignoring the same TOSLINK signal from the HDMI extractor that works with the 'FiiO' but it is okay with a different TOSLINK signal.

Is it likely simply down to 'Signal Strength' or am I missing something.

fyi I am well versed in SPDIF / TOSLINK / Optical as I used to develop audio electronics. But I am not really conversant with HDMI - eg at what sample rate will the TOSLINK from the Audio Extractor run. Is it set by the HDMI or the Audio Extractor ?

Thanks for reading :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.