Plug-in replacement for TDA1541, using 4x TDA1387

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Attachments

• tda1387--s-l500.jpg
    tda1387--s-l500.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 698
  • tda1387--s-l1600.jpg
    tda1387--s-l1600.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 751
But......

Both are current output DACs. The I/V stage can be the same for both (an inverting operational amplifier, a transformer, or a single resistor), it is external.
Hmmm ... I could not get this I/V (designed for TDA1543, 1545A and TDA1387A) to work with my TDA1541...Help me adapt this I/V stage for TDA1541 !!
Not w/o modifications suggested in that thread.
However, I have not tried it the other way around -- what the eBay module seems to be "designed" for.

In any case, the orig query remains open:
As implied by the eBay seller, will simply dropping in the 1541-to-4x-1387 module, into a 28-pin 1541 socket of a device (CDP, DAC), supply one with clean, clear music?
In other words: is the eBay module truly Plug-n-Play?

The module is a drop-in replacement for a TDA1541A.

I have used it to replace a TDA1541A S1 in my Revox B226.

I found greater transparency and better bass.

There are also available 8x TDA1387 modules available for not much more money.
I have some but have yet to try them.

Andy

IEEE paper

About the 4x1387 module ... For ~$10USD delivered, that's a pretty attractive offer for a complete module.

Continous Calibration does this mean that it’s similar in concept to Delta Sigma ?
No. The 1387 is multibit architecture -- old school goodness.

For more tech. details on CC, you can find the Philips 1989 IEEE paper for free here: https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/94f9/e4a2da8e48e535b0983e1ec42987d710800f.pdf
Or, you can purchase it here, direct from IEEE: A self-calibration technique for monolithic high-resolution D/A converters - IEEE Journals & Magazine

Abstract:
A self-calibration technique based upon charge storage on the gate-source capacitance of CMOS transistors is presented. The technique can produce multiple copies of a reference current. Therefore, it is suitable for the calibration of high-resolution D/A (digital/analog) converters which are based upon equal current sources. As the storage capacitor is internal, no external components are required. A calibrated spare current source is used to allow continuous converter operation. This implies that no special calibration cycles are required. To show the capabilities of the calibration technique, it was implemented in a 16-b D/A converter. Measurement results show a total harmonic distortion of 0.0025% at a power consumption of 20 mW and a minimum supply voltage of 3 V. The design was fabricated in a 1.6- mu m double-metal CMOS process without special options.<>
Published in: IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits ( Volume: 24, Issue: 6, Dec 1989 )

Last edited:
Philips multi-bit DACs -- not R2R?

Im always for R2R dac especially those like Philips ....

The following was recently posted on a ComputerAudiophile thread:

No Philips designed DACs are R2R -- that designation refers to a series of resistors controlled by switches. Philips used transistors as current sources though which gets around the glitchiness of the R2R approach. Rather than relying on matching of resistors Philips adopts an active DEM (dynamic element matching) approach, at least for part of the DAC array in the 1541, though not in the 1543 as that's the economy device.

The module is a drop-in replacement for a TDA1541A.

I have used it to replace a TDA1541A S1 in my Revox B226.

I found greater transparency and better bass.

There are also available 8x TDA1387 modules available for not much more money.
I have some but have yet to try them.

Andy

Hi Andi,

i make this module

HIFI 8PCS TDA1387 In Parallel Module Replacement Substitution TDA1541 TDA1541A D | eBay

also work in my Marantz CD583 as direct replacement without any modifications.I can conform that the bass is more punchy. So it seems to be a cheap alternative (€6 incl. shipment) for the TDA1541A.

BR
Günni

So has anyone any further experiences to share with respect to these modules? I've a 8x TDA1387 module on the way and will see how it compared to the TDA1541A S1 in my cap & OPAMP upgraded Muji Studio DAC II.

I'm looking for a bit more bass though in every other way this is easily the best sounding DAC I've ever run.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.